I opened the hood of my Dad's car and a huge grey squirrel nest was on top of the engine. The momma flew out of the nest. We closed the hood and left them alone. A week later, I opened the hood again and the momma was in the nest. I quickly shut the hood BUT after the hood slammed shut, I noticed the momma had tried to flee and I injured her. I picked her up and put her back in the nest with her two babies. I watched and watched. The momma eventually came down under the car and I thought she might be okay. The next day, I found her dead under the car. I opened the hood, reached in the nest and retrieved a baby. The other baby was down in the engine block and I could see its small tail but couldn't catch it. For two days, I put food and water under the car but it was untouched. I opened the hood, saw the baby flee again from the partial nest I had removed, so I rebuilt the nest and left. Next morning, just as dawn was starting, I quietly opened the hood and caught the second baby. Well, we now have a six foot high, eight foot long, four foot wide house and cage on our screened in porch. UVB lights, Healthy Henry's rodent blocks, toys, hammocks, lots of huge tree limbs, etc. and several weeks later, they are flourishing and playing. We follow the diet program from this website. We mix that 20/50 powder (they still love it) and add a little goat milk at times. Anyway, enough babbling. They LOVE hibiscus flower buds. Today, we will drive to my Dad's house (he's deceased) where there are probably one hundred hibiscus plants (sleeping hibiscus).

Question: We are going to bring back a ton of unopened and even opened buds, and I was wondering if anyone has ever frozen flower buds in the summer and then gradually thaw some out at times in the winter to use as food?