Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My baby Indian Palm Squirrel didn't poop from last two days

Exclamation My baby Indian Palm Squirrel didn't poop from last two days

my Indian palm squirrel baby is now around 4 and 1/2 weeks old... I'm giving her full cream cows milk since the 1 st week of her life...she was doing so well...peed and pooped well...but last week I gave her cerial with milk...after that with the time she reduce her pooping frequency in a day into two times...before she was pooping after every meal...poop was golden yello and healthy... however now from two days before she is not pooping at all...I tried my best to stimulate her. but she is not pooping...today I gave her apple juice
    one time ... still she is not pooping..

Guys I'm super worried about her now...I can't stop my tears..
    she seems to be fine...active and playful

please help me what should I do to see her pooping ? is this a normal situation ? I guess not

please help I beg you 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Exclamation Re: My baby Indian Palm Squirrel didn't poop from last two days

This is my baby please help pleaseName:  IMG_20200829_104257.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  76.4 KB

Default Re: My baby Indian Palm Squirrel didn't poop from last two days

Oh my goodness she is a precious thing!
    OK at 4.5 weeks old she is not ready for solid foods. Are her eyes opened yet? If not, she should not have ANY solid food like cereal until they open. After they do, then you can introduce solids bit by bit, such as maybe a little fruit or some quality rodent block if you can find it in Sri Lanka. Her diet should mostly be formula right now until she is 7-8 wks old.

I would offer her some hydration fluids in between her formula meals (no more cereal!) for the next two days. Hopefully that will loosen things up. They can sometimes go a few days without pooping, and although it is not optimal it is not life-threatening either. Don't cry.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Chirps (09-06-2020)

Cows milk is not good for squirrels. Can you get goats milk? Here is the recipe for homemade goats milk formula. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ilk-Formula***

Try offering some slightly sweetened water in between feedings. She might be dehydrated. Sometimes warm bath soaks and gentle massages of her abdomen in a downward motion during the bath can help get things moving. Don’t let her get chilled after the bath.

You should really try to get her switched to the goats milk formula instead of the cows milk. Ideally, if you can get Fox Valley 20/50 squirrel formula from the internet sent to you there, that is the formula that she should be on as the goats milk formula is only supposed to be a temporary formula.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Chirps (09-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Oh my goodness she is a precious thing!
    OK at 4.5 weeks old she is not ready for solid foods. Are her eyes opened yet? If not, she should not have ANY solid food like cereal until they open. After they do, then you can introduce solids bit by bit, such as maybe a little fruit or some quality rodent block if you can find it in Sri Lanka. Her diet should mostly be formula right now until she is 7-8 wks old.

I would offer her some hydration fluids in between her formula meals (no more cereal!) for the next two days. Hopefully that will loosen things up. They can sometimes go a few days without pooping, and although it is not optimal it is not life-threatening either. Don't cry.
    thank you thank you so much for replying me... thank you....she has opened her eyes 21 st day of her life...that means last week...I gave her cerial four days after her eyes opened...ok I will do as you said...thank you thank you so much !!

this pic I was taken when eyes openedName:  IMG_20200831_174007.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  104.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Cows milk is not good for squirrels. Can you get goats milk? Here is the recipe for homemade goats milk formula. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ilk-Formula***

Try offering some slightly sweetened water in between feedings. She might be dehydrated. Sometimes warm bath soaks and gentle massages of her abdomen in a downward motion during the bath can help get things moving. Don’t let her get chilled after the bath.

You should really try to get her switched to the goats milk formula instead of the cows milk. Ideally, if you can get Fox Valley 20/50 squirrel formula from the internet sent to you there, that is the formula that she should be on as the goats milk formula is only supposed to be a temporary formula.
    thank you so so much for replying me...it's difficult to offer goats milk here...but I will try to get goat milk and offer her... because due to corona situation delivering services also messed up here...ok I will give her sweetened water toom...I gave her warm bathes and will continuously give her...I just want to see my baby in a good health...

Again thank you very much for replying..

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Anu from:

Chirps (09-06-2020)

What a doll baby she is😍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    What a doll baby she is😍
    awwww thank you Charley hehe 😍😍😍😍🙏 but she isn't pooping 😭😭😭😭😭 I'm so worried about that

Quote Originally Posted by Anu View Post
    awwww thank you Charley hehe 😍😍😍😍🙏 but she isn't pooping 😭😭😭😭😭 I'm so worried about that
    May just take some time to get her little system back to normal.
    What formula are you able to get for her now?
    Sending tons of prayers to that little doll baby😘
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Offer her some diluted apple juice or prune juice to see if it will help her have a bowel movement.

Cows milk does not provide nearly the nutrients that she needs. Are you adding any heavy cream or full fat yogurt to it?

Hello Anu. I'm living in India and I've had 2 Indian palm squirrels for nearly 3 months now. I am not an expert, but I can give you a few suggestions from my experience.
    I know we don't get goat's milk or Fox Valley here. Don't worry. But plain cow's milk will not be enough for the squirrel as the mother's milk of a squirrel is very high in fat.

So what you need is a mixture of the following:

1. Full fat milk(Cow's milk is fine here. I don't know about the quality of cow's milk in the Western countries, but I've had rehabbers successfully release healthy squirrels raised on cow's milk mixture here).
    (Eg. Aavin orange/brown packet. Please strain the milk before every feeding as aadai or milk skin forms even if kept in the fridge. So filter every time).

2. Heavy cream(We don't get heavy cream a lot here. So fresh cream is also fine).

3. Greek yogurt (preferably plain and not flavoured)(I would suggest the Epigamia Greek Yogurt as the Milky mist yogurt is not Greek yogurt and it has a lot of sugar which is not good for the squirrel.

The mixing proportion is as follows:

3 parts milk + 1 part heavy/fresh cream + 1 part Greek yogurt.

Heat a cup of plain water in the microwave or the stove until it is piping hot and then place the cup/tumbler of the milk mixture in the hot water. Look up what double heating is. Don't directly heat the mixture. Then feed the squirrel.

You can make enough for that entire day. Throw it out and make fresh mixture for the next day as the mixture starts to thicken and become like dahi because of the lactobacillus from the yogurt.

I suggest hydrating between feedings when not pooping though it has never happened to me. So certified experts here will help you with that as I am talking only with my experience and from the experiences of people I know here in India.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Clare from:

Chirps (09-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    May just take some time to get her little system back to normal.
    What formula are you able to get for her now?
    Sending tons of prayers to that little doll baby😘
    I still give her cows milk Charley... I can't find any of formula here... Now I'm trying to get goats milk here. Will see about it I'm super worried.. 😢

Offer her some diluted apple juice or prune juice to see if it will help her have a bowel movement.

Cows milk does not provide nearly the nutrients that she needs. Are you adding any heavy cream or full fat yogurt to it?
    NO Mel... I don't add any heavy cream to her milk... Just giving her full cream cows milk.. I gave her apple juice but it seems not working... I'm super worried now because she didn't poop in 4 days now... But thank god still she looks fine... Active... Peeing well and drinking milk well 😢

Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    Hello Anu. I'm living in India and I've had 2 Indian palm squirrels for nearly 3 months now. I am not an expert, but I can give you a few suggestions from my experience.
    I know we don't get goat's milk or Fox Valley here. Don't worry. But plain cow's milk will not be enough for the squirrel as the mother's milk of a squirrel is very high in fat.

So what you need is a mixture of the following:

1. Full fat milk(Cow's milk is fine here. I don't know about the quality of cow's milk in the Western countries, but I've had rehabbers successfully release healthy squirrels raised on cow's milk mixture here).
    (Eg. Aavin orange/brown packet. Please strain the milk before every feeding as aadai or milk skin forms even if kept in the fridge. So filter every time).

2. Heavy cream(We don't get heavy cream a lot here. So fresh cream is also fine).

3. Greek yogurt (preferably plain and not flavoured)(I would suggest the Epigamia Greek Yogurt as the Milky mist yogurt is not Greek yogurt and it has a lot of sugar which is not good for the squirrel.

The mixing proportion is as follows:

3 parts milk + 1 part heavy/fresh cream + 1 part Greek yogurt.

Heat a cup of plain water in the microwave or the stove until it is piping hot and then place the cup/tumbler of the milk mixture in the hot water. Look up what double heating is. Don't directly heat the mixture. Then feed the squirrel.

You can make enough for that entire day. Throw it out and make fresh mixture for the next day as the mixture starts to thicken and become like dahi because of the lactobacillus from the yogurt.

I suggest hydrating between feedings when not pooping though it has never happened to me. So certified experts here will help you with that as I am talking only with my experience and from the experiences of people I know here in India.
    Thank you very much for replying me Clare... I will try to make her formula as you said... I can't find heavy cream here but i can find yoghurt here... My baby didn't poop in 4 days now I'm super worried about it... But thank god she seems to be active.. Also peeing well and she drinks milk well 😢

Clare’s info was very informative since she lives there and has had experience with finding food items that work. Thank you Clare.

Are you sure she’s not pooping in her bin? You are stimulating her at each feeding. Have you tried submerging her up to her armpits in warm water and massaging her belly in a downward motion? Four days seems like a very long time for her to not have had a bowel movement.

Do you know what she weighs? Are you feeding 5-7% of her weight? You’re no longer adding cereal, correct?

Keep us posted.

Clare’s info was very informative since she lives there and has had experience with finding food items that work. Thank you Clare.

Are you sure she’s not pooping in her bin? You are stimulating her at each feeding. Have you tried submerging her up to her armpits in warm water and massaging her belly in a downward motion? Four days seems like a very long time for her to not have had a bowel movement.

Do you know what she weighs? Are you feeding 5-7% of her weight? You’re no longer adding cereal, correct?

Keep us posted.
    I check her bin every day Mel.. But no sign so far... Yes I stimulate her at each feeding... Yes I have tried the wrm water therapy too... I rub her belly every day after feeding... I didn't check her weight recently...but she drinks nearly 1.5 CC.. Once she is full she refuse to drink.. I never force feed her... And No I don't give her cerial anymore.. Even she also does not like cerial

Keep us posted.
    I'M SUPER WORRIED...DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO... today I bought fresh goat milk that is sterilised... i will give that and try...went to several stores and there wasn't any powdered goat milk... Hmm

Keep us posted.
    I checked her weight just now Mel..she is 20 g....is giving her1.5 CC ok

I gave my baby girl cows milk with yoghurt...this yoghurt has prebiotics...I hope my girl will poop...😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
    I can't stop crying..what should I do ?
    I tried to give her goat milk but she just smelled it and refused...I tried to force feed but she screamed..so I didn't fed her goat milk 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast