Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: My baby Indian Palm Squirrel didn't poop from last two days

Default Re: My baby Indian Palm Squirrel didn't poop from last two days

Generally I don't think you should be using the infant hydrating solution that you pictured. It can be too strong for a squirrel, especially if given over several days.

The squirrel should definitely not be given Gatorade. It will make him sicker, not better.

I believe that after you stop feeding the squirrel cereal that the constipation should improve, if not completely go away. This may take a day or two or three.

Fruit shouldn't be the center piece of a captive squirrel's diet. There are a lot of fruits that my squirrel doesn't like either. Don't worry about that. Winter squash, sweet potato, avocado, Greek Yogurt (get the plain, whole milk variety) these are foods that I personally know can make a healthy diet for a grey squirrel. They also contain lots of water.

https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

I suggest taking notes about exactly what foods you give at every meal and noting what was eaten. Also note if he pooped or peed. However, the more mobile he gets the harder it will be to track those two. They poop and pee to mark their territory. Also write down the squirrel's energy level and whether the fur is laying flat or standing up. Use your healthy, older squirrel as a point of comparison.

Generally you should try not to change multiple things in the diet at the same time unless the situation is really drastic. When you change multiple things at the same time it is hard to know which things made things better or which things made things worse.

For instance, you squirrel may have pooped because you stopped giving the cereal or maybe because you gave the child's hydrating solution or maybe some other unknown reason.

How hot is it where you keep the squirrel? What is the temperature?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Anu (09-12-2020)

The fact that he pooped a lot suggests that he was very constipated.

I strongly believe it was the Nestle cereal that was causing the constipation.

I think the squirrel can be properly hydrated with a healthy, squirrel appropriate diet. See the link in my previous post. Adding some water melon or apple should also help, those two foods are mostly water.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Anu (09-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Generally I don't think you should be using the infant hydrating solution that you pictured. It can be too strong for a squirrel, especially if given over several days.

The squirrel should definitely not be given Gatorade. It will make him sicker, not better.

I believe that after you stop feeding the squirrel cereal that the constipation should improve, if not completely go away. This may take a day or two or three.

Fruit shouldn't be the center piece of a captive squirrel's diet. There are a lot of fruits that my squirrel doesn't like either. Don't worry about that. Winter squash, sweet potato, avocado, Greek Yogurt (get the plain, whole milk variety) these are foods that I personally know can make a healthy diet for a grey squirrel. They also contain lots of water.

https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

I suggest taking notes about exactly what foods you give at every meal and noting what was eaten. Also note if he pooped or peed. However, the more mobile he gets the harder it will be to track those two. They poop and pee to mark their territory. Also write down the squirrel's energy level and whether the fur is laying flat or standing up. Use your healthy, older squirrel as a point of comparison.

Generally you should try not to change multiple things in the diet at the same time unless the situation is really drastic. When you change multiple things at the same time it is hard to know which things made things better or which things made things worse.

For instance, you squirrel may have pooped because you stopped giving the cereal or maybe because you gave the child's hydrating solution or maybe some other unknown reason.

How hot is it where you keep the squirrel? What is the temperature?
    thank you so much for replying me Rock...ok I will do as you said..well...I only fed him cerial 4 times...wonder is that 4 times he pooped...after eating the cerial...I don't know what's happening...but I will hydrate him between every meals...and I already stop him givin cerial as you said...now I only give him milk with yoghurt and that rehydration solution...I only add little bit of it to the water...I really hope that constipation will be cured...will see about that...now after giving the rehydration mix she pooped...so far so good...I will stop rehydration mix too...thank you for helping me Rock

Anu

Also see if you can get her to eat some of the suggested solid foods, at least in small amounts.

Eating some solid food should help the poop to become more solid.

Can you post a picture of the type of yogurt and milk that you give her?

Also please have a look at the web link of suggested food for squirrels.

Anu

Also see if you can get her to eat some of the suggested solid foods, at least in small amounts.

Eating some solid food should help the poop to become more solid.

Can you post a picture of the type of yogurt and milk that you give her?

Also please have a look at the web link of suggested food for squirrels.
    Thank you again for replying me rock... I tried to give her banana , apple and grapes...she refused all these...and I tried beans...that also refused... I'll try these again tomorrow...she is about 6 weeks old now..still doesn't even like to lick fruits...these are the two things I give to her...
    Name:  sku-milk-400g.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  61.3 KBName:  Anchor_newdale_yoghurt_80g_345x@2x.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  117.0 KB
    Name:  download (1).jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  16.0 KBName:  Screenshot_20200913-052615~2.png
Views: 65
Size:  303.5 KB
    Last edited by Anu; 09-12-2020 at 07:00 PM. Reason: to add a picture

Read the list in the link I gave you. There are a lot of options given there and you ought to be find one that she likes.

As far as the yogurt goes, we don't want to be giving squirrels with added sugar. Try to find a yogurt that doesn't have added sugar. Find something that is plain but made with whole milk. Greek style yogurt is preferable because it has good probiotics to help with digestion.

Have you tried any squash yet? If she doesn't like it raw you can cook it somewhat let it cool and see if she will eat it.
    Sometimes you just have to keep trying new veggies.
    And yes use the list Rock sent you👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Guys I have a happy news and a bad news... Happy news is that my baby started eating fruits yesterday.... Yeeeeey... Now she eats chopped bananas and chopped apple... She also likes grapes.... And yes... Now she poops well... Hehee yeeey....
    For that thank you so so nuch for helping me guys..
    🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Because of you guys my baby is doing fine..
    And the bad news is I have an issue to log into this site... It says permission denied. Now I'm typing this msg by using my friends mobile...I discussed with the administration of the squirrel board and they said I can't access this site because of my IP addresses..
    They said tht my IP address is based on new format.. This site is not supporting to my IP.

So guys thank you so much for supporting me...
    i will try to msg you in the future... ❤️❤️❤️❤️😘😘😘😘😘
    I will try to get geek yogurt too

Maybe a glitch that will work out🤔 I'm absolutely no computer geek so I'm no help
    Try to give veggies on that list👍
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

*Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Anu (09-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Anu View Post
    Guys I have a happy news and a bad news... Happy news is that my baby started eating fruits yesterday.... Yeeeeey... Now she eats chopped bananas and chopped apple... She also likes grapes.... And yes... Now she poops well... Hehee yeeey....
    I am glad to hear that she is doing better.

Based on my personal experience I recommend you not feed her bananas. When my squirrel was younger she choked on them on multiple occasions. The banana is too soft to chew, but it stuck together blocking her mouth. When she got older and stopped eating so quickly I was able to give her some, but I made sure that the pieces were smaller than her mouth and I chose bananas that were a little green.

You need to go through the list and find some vegetables that she will eat. Hopefully some will be carbohydrates like squash and sweet potato.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Anu (09-18-2020)

The apple is good because it has a high water content, so it will keep her hydrated. It has fiber which will help with the poop and it has to be chewed so there shouldn't be any choking risk.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Anu (09-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Maybe a glitch that will work out🤔 I'm absolutely no computer geek so I'm no help
    Try to give veggies on that list👍
    hiii charley...thank you so much for replying me...ok I will try to give her veggies...but she still refuses...❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️😘😘😘😘😘😘

I am glad to hear that she is doing better.

Based on my personal experience I recommend you not feed her bananas. When my squirrel was younger she choked on them on multiple occasions. The banana is too soft to chew, but it stuck together blocking her mouth. When she got older and stopped eating so quickly I was able to give her some, but I made sure that the pieces were smaller than her mouth and I chose bananas that were a little green.

You need to go through the list and find some vegetables that she will eat. Hopefully some will be carbohydrates like squash and sweet potato.
    hi Rock... thank you so much for replying mee...ok I will reduce feeding her banana...but she looooves bananas...I give her chopped bananas...like we give to babies...and I give chopped apples...I don't give her pieces...and all the time when she eats I'm watching her 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

guys....now I think my babies constipation problem is over... because she poops very well and also peeing very well...
    now she is almost 7 weeks...
    now I have another problem...I don't know whether this is a problem..baby is refusing to drink milk sometimes and eat fruits...like banana and apple...and also she refuse to drink water too...
    I give her milk every 3 hrs...and give her fruits between milk feeding... that means after 2 hrs giving her milk I give her fruits and after one hrs I give her again milk....I'm giving her milk as you guys recommended with adding yoghurt...
    guys is this normal ? is this call weaning ?
    I will attack a lovely picture of my baby here
    Name:  IMG_20200915_201830.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  95.7 KB

If I may jump in here, an indian palm squirrel's diet is more fruit than vegetable-oriented, similar to stosh's beautiful Costa Rican variegated squirrels:

In its natural habitat, the Indian Palm Squirrel will eat other, smaller mammals such as mice, small reptiles, insects and birds as well as fruit, nuts, eggs and seeds

We have had a number of indian palm squirrels and their humans come through TSB over the years, and it is always a bit confusing at first because not everyone knows how small they are (like our chipmunks!) and that their diet is more protein and fruit than the plant/vegetarian diets of our North American squees. Some fruits can be a choking hazard to babies, though -- like bananas as mentioned above and especially grapes. Grapes need to be halved and that choky thing removed.
    Carry on!

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Anu (09-18-2020), Chirps (09-21-2020), Rock Monkey (09-18-2020)

Anu, try scrambling an egg and cooking it. Once it cools offer a little bit to your squirrel and see if she’ll eat it. It might take several attempts for her to like it. Dried mealworms are another option for protein eating squirrels.

Here’s a link. https://www.microworms.in/meal-worms-for-sale-in-india

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Anu (09-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    If I may jump in here, an indian palm squirrel's diet is more fruit than vegetable-oriented, similar to stosh's beautiful Costa Rican variegated squirrels:

In its natural habitat, the Indian Palm Squirrel will eat other, smaller mammals such as mice, small reptiles, insects and birds as well as fruit, nuts, eggs and seeds

We have had a number of indian palm squirrels and their humans come through TSB over the years, and it is always a bit confusing at first because not everyone knows how small they are (like our chipmunks!) and that their diet is more protein and fruit than the plant/vegetarian diets of our North American squees. Some fruits can be a choking hazard to babies, though -- like bananas as mentioned above and especially grapes. Grapes need to be halved and that choky thing removed.
    Carry on!
    I didn't know that, but they are a different breed 👍

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Anu (09-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Anu, try scrambling an egg and cooking it. Once it cools offer a little bit to your squirrel and see if she’ll eat it. It might take several attempts for her to like it. Dried mealworms are another option for protein eating squirrels.

Here’s a link. https://www.microworms.in/meal-worms-for-sale-in-india
    Mine love the meal worms, I use to get the live ones but use dried ones now so much easier. I'm guessing they are just as good for them🤔
    But for a baby the live might be easier to get them to eat.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Anu (09-18-2020)

Anu,

It is great to hear that the poop and pee is coming regularly.

Just to be on the safe side I would be sure to cut the bananas into small pieces and, as you do, always be right there as she eats. I had a wooden match stick with the head snipped off at the ready in case something got stuck in her mouth.

If she isn't eating the milk she still may eat yogurt. Try to find some that is plain, with no added sugar, but whole milk as they need the calories and the fat.

There are two reasons for avoiding sugar. Generally added refined sugar isn't good for them. Secondly, if everything you give is artificially sweet this may become the only thing they are willing to eat. They won't eat foods that haven't been sweetened and furthermore we want to avoid foods that have been processed and have a lot of man-made ingredients. Basic foods are best.

Most fruits have a very high water content. An apple is approximately 85% water. So every time she eats a piece of apple she is getting water. Helen peels every piece of fruit and she is more interest in an apple if it is the whole apple rather than just a slice.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Anu (09-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post

Carry on!
    thank you so so much for replying me island rehabber....wow what a diet...it seems like indian palm squirrels eat all the stuff...OMG! I didn't know that they eat small mammals and reptiles.. it's interesting..I will be more careful to give her small pieces of fruits that she eats 😍😍😍😍😍❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast