Thread: Age?

Default Age?

I'm sorry, I do not have a scale yet to weigh my baby on. Will get one shortly.

When I found my baby Yessa (see pics in album), she was superthin (I think). I'm a first time Mom and am comparing to other pics.

I followed the ABCs from this site and she is super well adjusted in my opinion - it amazes me how much like human babies they are!

So she was dehydrated (per pinch test) so I hydrated first and then fed her Esbilac but kitten formula a) because it was Sunday and that's all this store had and b) I saw Esbilac puppy formula alert here and on other sites.

The first syringe I used (I'm new but a careful Mom) was too big but she drank from it, I plunged only drop by drop so a) she didn't aspirate but b) we did both end up covered in milk which means c) I washed her off with a warm wash cloth after each feeding which, apparently, she has become accustomed to as she seems to relax her body when I turn the water on???? I know it sounds crazy but, based on her body language, it seems to be her favorite part of the day. We changed over to smaller syringe and she drinks perfectly from it.

She's very routine. She pees within a minute of me picking her up and before eating. She poops (I had to stimulate her to on Day 1-4) during her bath LOL but goes down for her naps clean.

She wakes up and crawls onto my hand if I put it in with her. She loves her warm water bottle in a sock (thanks for the tip).

She has only bottom teeth so far and eyes still closed. Ears just started moving away from head in last two days.

My order from Fox Valley came today. She hated the formula and hated the nipple so I went back to the kitten formula and syringe without nipple that she's used to.

She drinks about 3ml each feeding which is up 1ml from last week. She does not overeat lol she turns away when she's full (I check to make sure it's not because the milk is too cold).

Other than being small/thin, she gives me all signals that she's otherwise healthy. I'm guessing, based on other posts, she's about 3-4 weeks? Any suggestions on helping her gain weight?

Thank you for this forum. It has literally been my Bible for the last 10 days. You guys rock! See pics of her progress in my album.

Default Re: Age?

Yes, get her off the kitten Esbilac. The kitten Esbilac formula does not contain the proper ratio of nutrients for a squirrel. This is why it is not recommended. You don’t say which Fox Valley formula you have. If it’s the 20/50 version it’s fine to feed. The 32/40 has problems being digested by some babies.

It’s best to make any formula transitions gradually. If you have the 20/50 then mix it according to the directions. Also mix up your kitten Esbilac according to the directions. Mix up and let it dissolve in the fridge overnight, mixing occasionally. When it’s time to feed fill 25% of the syringe with FV and 75% of the syringe with Esbilac. Feed like this for several feedings. Then move to 50/50 FV and Esbilac for several feedings, then 25% Esbilac and 75% FV for several feedings. After that you will be at 100% FV. This type transition allows them to get used to the taste and also helps prevent any GI upsets.

YOU MUST GET A SCALE! It is impossible to know if you are feeding the recommended 5-7% of their weight at each feeding if you don’t know their weight!!

If she still has problems gaining weight once she’s fully transitioned you can purchase a product made by Fox Valley called Ultraboost. It is used in place of a portion of the formula and adds some fat to the diet without causing diarrhea that heavy whipping cream can.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

mamaardilla (09-05-2020), Nancy in New York (09-03-2020)

Default Re: Age?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Yes, get her off the kitten Esbilac. The kitten Esbilac formula does not contain the proper ratio of nutrients for a squirrel. This is why it is not recommended. You don’t say which Fox Valley formula you have. If it’s the 20/50 version it’s fine to feed. The 32/40 has problems being digested by some babies.

It’s best to make any formula transitions gradually. If you have the 20/50 then mix it according to the directions. Also mix up your kitten Esbilac according to the directions. Mix up and let it dissolve in the fridge overnight, mixing occasionally. When it’s time to feed fill 25% of the syringe with FV and 75% of the syringe with Esbilac. Feed like this for several feedings. Then move to 50/50 FV and Esbilac for several feedings, then 25% Esbilac and 75% FV for several feedings. After that you will be at 100% FV. This type transition allows them to get used to the taste and also helps prevent any GI upsets.

YOU MUST GET A SCALE! It is impossible to know if you are feeding the recommended 5-7% of their weight at each feeding if you don’t know their weight!!

If she still has problems gaining weight once she’s fully transitioned you can purchase a product made by Fox Valley called Ultraboost. It is used in place of a portion of the formula and adds some fat to the diet without causing diarrhea that heavy whipping cream can.

I have both the 20/50 and 32/40. I took your advice for mixing them (using the 20/50) and she's already on half and half (half FV and half Esbilac) and lovin' it. Will continue transition this evening. Scale arrives tomorrow before 5pm. I did mention, at the very beginning of the question, that I did not yet have a scale but would be receiving one shortly. Scale arrives tomorrow and FV formula arrived yesterday afternoon (the order took a while). The kitten formula was a band aid until the FV arrived, suggested by the lady at the feed store who has rescued 4-5 squirrels.

I've done the best I could while waiting. Some people would have left her there in the yard to be trampled by a large dog. Thank you for your assistance and positive encouragement.