Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirrel with swelling in back leg. (again)

Default Squirrel with swelling in back leg. (again)

Hello All,

I have a squrriel that I resuced as a baby back in March. I released her back into the wild about end of June or Beginning of July and she came back with a wound that I have been treating for quite a while. Just a week or two ago , it started to open back up so I went back to doing everything I was doing again. Now it is healing really well but the foot to swelling. I am not sure what I can do there is nothing wrapped around the leg to make it swell. Please help! Thank you so much.

Default Re: Squirrel with swelling in back leg.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmama17 View Post
    Hello All,

I have a squrriel that I resuced as a baby back in March. I released her back into the wild about end of June or Beginning of July and she came back with a wound that I have been treating for quite a while. Just a week or two ago , it started to open back up so I went back to doing everything I was doing again. Now it is healing really well but the foot to swelling. I am not sure what I can do there is nothing wrapped around the leg to make it swell. Please help! Thank you so much.
    How and with what were you treating the wound, were any antibiotics given?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

We did Enroflox in the beginning haven't done lately. Now treating with betadine soaks and vetericyn wound spray.

Just a thought... Could it have something in it? It may reopen to get rid of a foreign body... even splinter. Maybe epsom salt bath???

I can try that. I have attached pictures of it. The last 2 are before pictures. I have been told possibly Cellulitis?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Yeah... I don’t think you have a foreign body. Cellulitis is a definite possibility... i would have to get a vet to look at that one... in the meantime maybe shave the area and try to keep it super clean... good luck, hope you can find a solution. so sorry she’s hurt.

This is not good, I'm moving this forum into life threatening for more eyes on it.
    I don't know how your going to accomplish it but that wound area needs to be covered,
    covering the affected skin will help it heal and prevent irritation. Dragging over things is
    just attracting (more) bacteria, add that to getting urine on it....

This baby needs antibiotics and a med to reduce pain and inflammation.
    If you still have enroflox I would be looking for some
    clindamycin to stack it with.

How long had you given the enroflox, how many milligrams is it, and how did you dose it?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Squirreleesi (11-11-2020)

Oh yikes! Some Vetricyn might be helpful to spray on that. I would see if you can get some clavamox or augmentin. Baytril (enroflox) isn't too good on these tissue infections.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Poor baby! Does that cut go all the way around the leg? It sure looks like something WAS wrapped around the leg, at least at one time.

Who was the squirrel, just last year I think, who had that foot that had been strangulated, and it was crazy swollen, looked like she'd lose it for the longest time, but got all better? Did she lose skin above where the wound was? I can't remember.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Poor baby! Does that cut go all the way around the leg? It sure looks like something WAS wrapped around the leg, at least at one time.

Who was the squirrel, just last year I think, who had that foot that had been strangulated, and it was crazy swollen, looked like she'd lose it for the longest time, but got all better? Did she lose skin above where the wound was? I can't remember.
    It was Redwuff’s baby squirrel. She is rarely online anymore, but maybe admin could reach out to her for advice.

Thanks. I was looking all over for that thread but couldn't find it. One thinks one will never forget this or that but I find my brain is too full of info and it gets all jumbled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It was Redwuff’s baby squirrel. She is rarely online anymore, but maybe admin could reach out to her for advice.
    Thanks again, found it! It was "Two Gifts of Spring" in Intake Infirmary. Lots of good pics but Tulip never had skin come off as part of her issue. It was just the blood vessels being so constricted that fluid exchange was so poor for a LONG time and her foot was HUGE for so long. Maybe this squirrel had something around her leg but not so long so the swelling isn't as dramatic but there are other issues like other wounds/skin loss.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Mel1959 (09-03-2020)

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Chirps (09-03-2020)

I do not have anymore Enroflox as that was back in July I believe it was 0.12mls SID it was 22.7mg. I tried doing clavamox but she completely shut down after just one dose of it. I will attach pictures of the whole healing process. I can attempt to see if I can get something to stay there. The pictures go from 7/10 to 7/20. The last picture is the scab that was making her leg swell the first time. After i took it off her foot went back to normal but now is randomly opening and swelling again. I have look and try to see if anything was wrapped around it again and there is nothing. It looks as if her skin just grew back extremely snug in that around. Thank you everyone for your advice and help. I am grateful!

Default swelling in the back leg again!!

Hi All,

I'm in need of some help. My squrriels leg has swollen back up and there are no new wounds just still healing the one from the last time. She is hardly eating and is just hiding in her house. I need a dosage for gabapentin 100mg capsule and Clindamycin liquid or Cipro if these can be used. Please let me know asap. I know she is in alot of pain.

Default Re: swelling in the back leg again!!

It is also oozing clear liquid from top of foot.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmama17 View Post
    Hi All,

I'm in need of some help. My squrriels leg has swollen back up and there are no new wounds just still healing the one from the last time. She is hardly eating and is just hiding in her house. I need a dosage for gabapentin 100mg capsule and Clindamycin liquid or Cipro if these can be used. Please let me know asap. I know she is in alot of pain.
    How long have you had the squirrel?

What caused the wound in the first place? If it is a cat bite you will definitely want to administer an antibiotic.

How long has she been inactive? When did the leg start to swell?

For other members below is the first thread.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...squirrelmama17

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

HRT4SQRLS (10-20-2020)

I have had her since mid March. The original wound happened way back in July. I attempted to release her and she came back unable to use her leg. I assumed it was a cat bit or something got her. I got it healed up most of the way then beginning of September it swelled and started to open back up. Just noticed it has swelled this morning. She has been perfectly fine up until yesterday I'm guessing. Her weight today is 0.58kg.

Where are you located in NY? We have several members in that vicinity that might be able to help.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast