Thread: Aspiration pneumonia in baby flying squirrel!

Default Aspiration pneumonia in baby flying squirrel!

Help! I just woke up to feed my 3-4 week old baby squirrel and she sounds like she has aspiration pneumonia! She’s lethargic and not eating. Can someone please tell me how I can fix this and the dose I need she is 9 grams

Default Re: Aspiration pneumonia in baby flying squirrel!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotalynn12 View Post
    Help! I just woke up to feed my 3-4 week old baby squirrel and she sounds like she has aspiration pneumonia! She’s lethargic and not eating. Can someone please tell me how I can fix this and the dose I need she is 9 grams
    You need antibiotics to treat AP (Aspiration Pneumonia). Check your cabinets, ask family, friends and neighbors... if you find antibiotics, you will need only 1 pill, post the name and strength of the antibiotics along with the baby's correct weight. Someone will advise if the antibiotics you found will be effective and help with dosing.

Don't hesitate, if this is AP it is a killer and you have hours to find antibiotics not days. Some bird stores and feed stores sell Baytril (enrofloxcin) 10% for treating birds and chickens.

Your baby has to be much larger than 9 grams that is the size of a days old baby flyer, not a weeks old baby.

Can I call you for more info? I have antibiotics

Post the names and strengths of the antibiotics you have. Check your scale and be sure it’s set on grams and zeroed out before you weigh her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Post the names and strengths of the antibiotics you have. Check your scale and be sure it’s set on grams and zeroed out before you weigh her.
    My 3 week old is 14g. She may have AP. What would the dose of baytril be?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharrian View Post
    My 3 week old is 14g. She may have AP. What would the dose of baytril be?

At 3 weeks, 14 grams is way small. That is what a few day old grey squirrel weighs and maybe an underweight, unwell flyer at 3 weeks.

What makes you believe she has AP?

What strength is the Baytril?

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Sharrian (09-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

At 3 weeks, 14 grams is way small. That is what a few day old grey squirrel weighs and maybe an underweight, unwell flyer at 3 weeks.

What makes you believe she has AP?

What strength is the Baytril?
    She’s a flyer. May not be full 3 weeks yet. She opened her eyes but just to peek... lol. I’m not sure it is AP. She ate great yesterday morning. I left my husband in charge for the rest of the day and night and she hasn’t hardly eaten today at all. I may be over reacting.... I just don’t want to let it get away from me.
    I don’t have anything on hand right now but I have vet friend I can get it from. She has large size doses.

You will want your vet friend to give you some Clavamox. It can either be in the liquid form or a pill. Someone on here will be able to tell you how to dilute it and what the dosage will be. Post what the strength of the Clavamox is when you get it.

If it is AP they can succumb quickly.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Nancy in New York (09-30-2020)