Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Aspiration pneumonia in baby flying squirrel!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 0

    Default Aspiration pneumonia in baby flying squirrel!

    Help! I just woke up to feed my 3-4 week old baby squirrel and she sounds like she has aspiration pneumonia! Shes lethargic and not eating. Can someone please tell me how I can fix this and the dose I need she is 9 grams

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    7,094
    Thanked: 6722

    Default Re: Aspiration pneumonia in baby flying squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotalynn12 View Post
    Help! I just woke up to feed my 3-4 week old baby squirrel and she sounds like she has aspiration pneumonia! Shes lethargic and not eating. Can someone please tell me how I can fix this and the dose I need she is 9 grams
    You need antibiotics to treat AP (Aspiration Pneumonia). Check your cabinets, ask family, friends and neighbors... if you find antibiotics, you will need only 1 pill, post the name and strength of the antibiotics along with the baby's correct weight. Someone will advise if the antibiotics you found will be effective and help with dosing.

    Don't hesitate, if this is AP it is a killer and you have hours to find antibiotics not days. Some bird stores and feed stores sell Baytril (enrofloxcin) 10% for treating birds and chickens.

    Your baby has to be much larger than 9 grams that is the size of a days old baby flyer, not a weeks old baby.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Aspiration pneumonia in baby flying squirrel!

    Can I call you for more info? I have antibiotics

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,540
    Thanked: 12449

    Default Re: Aspiration pneumonia in baby flying squirrel!

    Post the names and strengths of the antibiotics you have. Check your scale and be sure its set on grams and zeroed out before you weigh her.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Never never Land
    Posts
    23
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Aspiration pneumonia in baby flying squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Post the names and strengths of the antibiotics you have. Check your scale and be sure its set on grams and zeroed out before you weigh her.
    My 3 week old is 14g. She may have AP. What would the dose of baytril be?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    7,094
    Thanked: 6722

    Default Re: Aspiration pneumonia in baby flying squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrian View Post
    My 3 week old is 14g. She may have AP. What would the dose of baytril be?

    At 3 weeks, 14 grams is way small. That is what a few day old grey squirrel weighs and maybe an underweight, unwell flyer at 3 weeks.

    What makes you believe she has AP?

    What strength is the Baytril?

  7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

    Sharrian (09-29-2020)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •