Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Buddy....

Default Re: My Buddy....

correction: My squirrel had one eye open

Oh, that's so awesome to know!! Thank you!! Yes, he is great, zooming around in his playground and his cage, but I was worrying how he would do out in the trees. Hopefully, the eye will heal itself. We're planning to keep him over the winter; as he is only 7 weeks old & singleton and we have really cold winters here in Illinois.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Mialouise (09-09-2020)

That's great.

Not only do they have to deal with the cold, but they need to build up a store of nuts cached here and there as they do not hibernate.

There may also be some territorial squabbling and the stronger he is, the better he will be able to deal with it. The young males are usually forced to move to find new territory.

Eventually, he will move faster and faster. Mine would do all sorts of crazy moves, like parkour. I always praise her. At first I thought there was something wrong with her, but realized they are practicing escaping from the clutches of a predator. I learned to stand still or move slowly so that I wouldn't step on her or cause her to miss as she leaped to me. They can move stealthily also.

These are things they normally practice with siblings.

They have hair trigger reactions and is important not to reprimand them for this. Survival depends on it. Speed and agility are their primary defense. I always endeavor to stay relaxed.

She roll onto her back and I would gently rub and poke her belly and she would engage my hand with all four limbs and mouth. Then suddenly she would dart off. Then come back for more. She has never broken my skin with her teeth, though she has put my finger in her mouth many times.

If something startles me, she will also startle.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

bre (09-09-2020), Buddy (09-08-2020)

Thank you!! Great tips and info!

So much fun and very inspiring to hear/read everyone's interactions with their little ones!

We are all in love with our little Buddy and we want to do the best for him!

Update on Buddy via new videos...

Buddy chewing a little branch... https://youtu.be/Jr3IOWEEJnE

Buddy in the playground & wheel... https://youtu.be/OHvsMYKd-70

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Rock Monkey (09-09-2020)

If find an oak tree near by you can periodically give him fresh, small pieces of branch. In the wild they sometimes eat the cambium layer and for a while my Helen eagerly devoured these fresh pieces. It is a constructive chewing outlet.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (09-09-2020)

Thank you! I'll keep an eye on the good trees!

I noticed that this thread should be in the introduction section.... Nonetheless, here are a few more Buddy photos from today...
    Dinner time...
    Name:  Buddy Feeding3.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  105.6 KB
    Hanging out with momma after dinner...
    Name:  Buddy hanging out with me1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  49.2 KB

And a few videos... Dinner... https://youtu.be/KOyPiO4WdDg

it's a bit dark, but I think these are sweet videos... Buddy hanging out with me... https://youtu.be/PKmiO1t-kMc

Another one... https://youtu.be/L6HwRw573z4

I cannot believe he was looking like this, 12 grams about 8 weeks ago...

Today: 165 grams.

Name:  Buddy - 12 grams.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  120.4 KB

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

bre (09-30-2020)

Buddy was pretty active today and was exploring his cage. My daughter took this cute video of him; where he stands on his back legs and attempts to fly...
    https://youtu.be/xx9Mf2l089I

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Chirps (09-15-2020)

After the video above, here's a picture from moments ago... In my hand.. getting some belly scratches/massages from mommy...

Name:  Buddy Ball - After Dinner.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  49.2 KB

Buddy is beautiful! And nice and chubby Looks like you're doing a great job being a first time momma.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mialouise from:

Buddy (09-14-2020)

Thank you! He's been gaining a lot of weight recently, which I'm really happy about... The last picture is after his feeding, so with a full belly...

How is the eye and the front paw?

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (09-15-2020)

Thank you for asking and following up! Both seem to be doing better. The cloudy/milky portion in the eye is getting smaller and smaller; it's almost unnoticeable now. Front paw is doing better too. He is just really really active and I noticed that he can hold the syringe with both hands; before he was just using the right hand and left hand was just hanging on the side... I think that's a good sign.

He seems very skittish today; like I just rescued a wild baby squirrel... Maybe it's because he is now 8 weeks and it's time?? He also started showing less interest in the formula. I give him as much as he takes... Good news that he is eating his Henry's Blocks.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Rock Monkey (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    How is the eye and the front paw?

Thank you for asking and following up! Both seem to be doing better. The cloudy/milky portion in the eye is getting smaller and smaller; it's almost unnoticeable now. Front paw is doing better too. He is just really really active and I noticed that he can hold the syringe with both hands; before he was just using the right hand and left hand was just hanging on the side... I think that's a good sign.

He seems very skittish today; like I just rescued a wild baby squirrel... Maybe it's because he is now 8 weeks and it's time?? He also started showing less interest in the formula. I give him as much as he takes... Good news that he is eating his Henry's Blocks.

This is a video that my daughter had taken yesterday. You can see he is zooming around...

https://youtu.be/xx9Mf2l089I

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Rock Monkey (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Regarding being skittish, always remember and be sure remind your family that a squirrel's number one job is not be eaten. As he gets older his hardwired instincts become stronger so that if a squirrel does lose its mother at this age or later they might have a chance of managing on their own.

Exploring the world means being hyper alert for trouble. One way they look for trouble is with their senses. The other way they detect trouble is by monitoring the behavior of the other creatures around them, particularly those that are prey to the same predators that they are. So, if their mother becomes anxious they figure this means that there is a threat somewhere nearby. Subsequently they too will become anxious and become hyper vigilant for threats.

So, if people in the house make loud noises or unusual noises or are anxious or angry Buddy will be spooked. For example, Helen doesn't like the sound of water running full blast at the spigot or the sound of me tearing duct tape. The first time I tried to take a video she bolted like a rocket because of the sound the phone made when the video started. In time some noises will come to be viewed as not threatening.

Buddy is starting to become a squirrel. Any handler anxiety will lead Buddy to become anxious. When some idiot revs his motor Helen startles because the behavior aggravates me and she is monitoring my emotions and responds even though I haven't said a word.

If the birds outside are fussing because their is a cat in the yard, Buddy will startle and either freeze, run or start making warning chirps of his own. His hearing is better than yours. His sense of smell is light years better than yours. Changing the scents, soaps, perfumes, etc. you use can cause anxiety. Helen is constantly smelling me.

Eventually Buddy is going to start behaving in ways that might be insane or seem to be the product of seizures. Jumping straight up in the air. Changing direction mid-air. Darting off a full speed in a random course for no apparent reason. There will be nothing wrong with Buddy. He will just be becoming a squirrel who is practicing escape and evasion.

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

bre (09-30-2020), Buddy (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Eventually Buddy is going to start behaving in ways that might be insane or seem to be the product of seizures. Jumping straight up in the air. Changing direction mid-air. Darting off a full speed in a random course for no apparent reason. There will be nothing wrong with Buddy. He will just be becoming a squirrel who is practicing escape and evasion.
    Corrections: that might seem to be insane ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast