Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My Buddy....

Default Re: My Buddy....

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Okay, thank you! Yes, he hasn't figured out how to get into a pecan or hazelnut yet. I'll leave them in his cage.
    Yeah, it is safe to leave one in the cage. They have an innate ability sort the nut from the shell and other packing. Like any skill, he will get better at with practice. At first Helen couldn't get into one. She would work at it, then stash it. Now she can get into one in under 30 seconds and at first she failed to get all of the bits of nut but now she gets it all.

I would crack a pecan open in front of Buddy and give it to him. Just make a bit of a crack in it, don't shatter it. (Adjustable pliers are handy for this purpose if you have them.) He'll do the rest. Then he will know that this is something he wants to get into, but I think they know that already, but it will give a little more motivation.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (10-08-2020)

Awesome! Thank you so much for all the info! Great idea about cracking a bit and letting him know that there's something he'd like in it.

He works on them; like a woodpecker, for about 5 sec and then moves on, but once he knows more what's in it, he might increase his efforts.

Sleepy Buddy Boy...

Name:  Sleepy Buddy Boy.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  73.6 KB

Buddy hiding his nuts... in his new diggings...

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Rock Monkey (10-15-2020)

Buddy making new friends...

Name:  Buddy making new friends.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  123.0 KB
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Please visit "My Buddy" thread to know more about Buddy: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...65309-My-Buddy

Buddy making new friends...
    The other squirrel is probably saying, "I can smell that you have a bunch of nuts in there. Would you like to share?"

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (10-21-2020)

I know... I was feeling bad for the outdoor/wild squirrels, but they do get bunch of food for us too and all of the food that Buddy hasn't eaten at the end of the day. So hopefully, they will welcome Buddy to the neighborhood!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Please visit "My Buddy" thread to know more about Buddy: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...65309-My-Buddy

Handsome Buddy Boy

Name:  Handsome Buddy Boy.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  69.9 KB

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

mamaardilla (10-23-2020)

Has Buddy learned to open a pecan yet?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (10-22-2020)

Yes, I put a few slightly cracked pecan and hazelnuts in his cage and they've been sitting there. Yesterday, I saw a few empty shells. He must have figured it out.

He loves to hide and bury them and then takes them out... plays with them or tries to open them... puts them back again under the bedding... Busy Boy...

Yes, I put a few slightly cracked pecan and hazelnuts in his cage and they've been sitting there. Yesterday, I saw a few empty shells. He must have figured it out.

He loves to hide and bury them and then takes them out... plays with them or tries to open them... puts them back again under the bedding... Busy Boy...
    Yes, nuts are a prize possession. Helen is always moving hers around, never satisfied with previous location chosen. Yesterday, she was running down the hallway with the nut, saw me and reversed direction. Lol. They don't like others knowing where they bury their nuts. Squirrels will even pretend to bury a nut but continue to keep hold of it.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (10-23-2020)

That's hilarious! Yes, Buddy always tries to hide his in a very secret spot: under the blanket.

Do you let Helen roam around in your place? I do that, but only when I can actually watch him. I always worry that he might chew/eat something he is not supposed to.

Our house is definitely not "squirrel proofed".

Here are some other photos of Buddy that my husband took (he is a pretty good photographer!)...
    Attachment 316076
    OMG these pics are precious. Good luck with your little warrior!

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mamaardilla from:

Buddy (10-23-2020)

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by mamaardilla View Post
    OMG these pics are precious. Good luck with your little warrior!

Do you let Helen roam around in your place? I do that, but only when I can actually watch him. I always worry that he might chew/eat something he is not supposed to.

Our house is definitely not "squirrel proofed".
    Very early on Helen made it very clear that she did not want to be caged. She would churn away for minutes on end, complaining, try to push her way out. I was genuinely afraid that she would stress herself to the point that she would die. She would not let up. For a while she was confined to a single room, but it became clear that she was increasingly upset about that, having seen the larger extent of the house. I worked very, very hard to squirrel proof things. I let her roam and watched her and realized that there were many more issues that needed to be addressed.

For a while I put her back in the room, but she didn't like that at all. So now she roams the house with a few rooms closed off. Occasionally there is a loud noise and I listen for the subsequent patter of little feet. If I don't hear them, I go investigate. It is a risk, but it seems the lesser risk, the kinder choice. (I have come to realize that squirrel proof does not exist.) I didn't save her to torment her. She spends half of the day running laps in various configurations. She has become a very good leaper and she is all muscle.

Yes, her trying to feed herself has been an ongoing issue. She usually has a couple of black walnuts/and or hickory nuts stored away somewhere and that has reduced that impulse. Plus, there is almost always some food sitting on the table for her. She grazes. She knows her feeding schedule.

Yes, cords are an issue, but I have from the beginning given her branches and when she would start to nibble on something forbidden I would hand her a little section of branch. So, now, for the most part, she chews those when she feels agitated and I praise her when I find the shredded branches. Most outlets are GFCI but mostly I don't leave things plugged in unless I am there.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (10-25-2020)

Lucky Helen! And smart...

Looks like your set up is working fine for both of you, so that's great!

These videos are from a few days ago. I only had a bit time today to combine them and upload it to youtube.

He is so much better with playing with his toys and it's such a joy to watch him.

Thank you for the stuffed animal toy ideas!!

PS: He sometimes does this adorable hop (in the video around 4:28-4:29) like 20 times consequently (like baby goats would do) and melts my heart!

There was still a bit music at the end, so I included the jump/fly video from a few weeks earlier.

Buddy looks very healthy and happy. The little hop that you’re referring to, is one of my favorite things about releasing. My released squirrels when experiencing grass and dirt for the first time love to wallow in the dirt and they do a little giddy up hop afterwards. The only words to describe that little hop is sheer joy.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (10-26-2020)

Thank you Mel!
    Yes, I love that move & mood!! Like you said, sheer joy!!

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Mel1959 (10-26-2020)

I was able to get only the end of this playful moment... He was playing with his rope/toy and kept jumping all over the place with joy & playfulness...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast