Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Buddy....

Question My Buddy....

Hi,

I found this forum while researching about my squirrels bloating and also his eye... I found this adorable little guy on July 27th, under a tree. There were 2 other siblings but they were dead. After waiting and hoping for mama squirrel to come and save him several hours, no one showed up, so we decided to bring him home. This is our first baby squirrel. As soon as we brought him home, we did bunch of research and started taking care of him. I hope you can see the picture I attached; which shows the history of this little guy!

He's been doing great! He is now 72 grams. I've been feeding him Goat Milk (3 parts), Whole Fat Yogurt (3 parts), Heavy Whipping Cream (2 parts) and 1/2 egg yolk since we found him. I recently got FV 20/50, and actually I gave him 2 feedings today but then I saw the negative comments about FV. Is that for the other one? Should I transition him to FV 20/50? Should I do that slowly/gradually?

Like I said, he's been doing great, but for the 3-4 days, he hasn't pooped. So I was worried. I did all the regular stuff; less feeding, spreading the feedings longer, warm bath, apple juice/water mix... Finally today I got some baby gas medicine and gave him like 2 drops. Maybe that or combination, he finally pooped twice today, so he definitely is less bloated. He is a very happy boy! He loves eating, very cuddly... <3

He opened one of his eyes 4-5 days ago... I think he is ahead of his schedule, unless he was already a few weeks when we found him - but I highly doubt; because he was very small (12 grams) and his umbilici cord was still there.

So, anyways, he is 72 grams. I feed him every 4 hours or so, 3 / 3.5 cc. I'd like to feed him more, but because of his bloating, I didn't want to overload him. I always give him some water in between feedings too.

Our problem/concern now is his other eye. He recently opened his other eye, and it's milky/cloudy... I ordered Silver hydrosol, based on my research (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OA6Z6O) and also Terramycin (https://www.petsuppliesdelivered.com...3.5-grams.html). I haven't applied any of them yet, as I don't have them yet.

Do you guys think I should try these medicine on his eye?

Also, we have a dog, he is very good with other animals; he doesn't chase squirrels etc. but based on the recommendations, we keep them separate (or plan to keep them separate when Buddy starts moving around).

Do you guys think that he can survive in the wild with one eye, if that doesn't get better?

We were thinking about releasing him in phases and keep supporting him during the first winter, as much as we can.

I do want to make the best choices for him. We live in a northwest suburb in Illinois, so he'd be out in a suburban area.

Any help, suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

bre (09-09-2020)

Default Re: My Buddy....

Here are some more photos of him with his belly and eyes.... Name:  My Buddy2.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  68.0 KB

Here are some other photos of Buddy that my husband took (he is a pretty good photographer!)...
    Name:  My Buddy - Compilation.jpg
Size:  83.5 KB

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Buddy:

bre (09-09-2020), mamaardilla (10-23-2020)

Also, should I feed him more? He seems to be always hungry, but because of his bloating, I didn't want to overfeed him... He seems like he is more advanced than his age... His eyes are already open... but he is only 5 weeks (?) and 72 grams... He is very active though.. Very talkative too!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I recently got FV 20/50, and actually I gave him 2 feedings today but then I saw the negative comments about FV. Is that for the other one? Should I transition him to FV 20/50? Should I do that slowly/gradually?
    Keep him on the Fox Valley 20/50 (it is the Fox Valley 32/40 that you have read issues about).

I suspect his eye has more to do with nutrition than anything else especially if he is opening his eyes early... that is a sign of stress and nutrition. The FV 20/50 should help correct any nutritional deficiencies. I would also recommend adding in the Fox Valley Ultra-boost for this one as he is a bit under-weight. At his weight he should be getting minimum of 3.5ml per feeding. I will attach a chart to help with feeding guidelines..

SquirrelBoard Feeding CheatSheet.pdf

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Size:  63.7 KB

PS One of my favorite squirrels is a one-eyed gal... she was one of my releases that returned a few months later seeking help. She had a severe head trauma and permanently damaged eye, but she was re-released after she healed up. She does just fine in the wild with a little help from her foster dad!

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

bre (09-09-2020), Buddy (08-29-2020), Chirps (08-29-2020), Mialouise (08-31-2020)

Thank you so much! I will start him with FV ASAP!

Do you think that his eye might improve and heal??

Should I apply any of those eye medications?? Would that help or ??

Thank you so much! I will start him with FV ASAP!

Do you think that his eye might improve and heal??

Yes, if there is a good chance his eye will heal with proper nutrition... no way to know for sure but improving his nutritional intake is the best chance for the eye to heal (fully develop).

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Buddy (08-29-2020)

Should I apply any of those eye medications?? Would that help or ??
    I really think this is nutritional and with the Fox Valley, proper feeding amounts and frequency is the best medicine for his eye.

Mix the Fox Valley up hours ahead, we prefer to let it sit overnight when possible before feeding. This allows it to more fully dissolve. Discard any formula that is warmed for feeding but not eaten. Store the mixed formula in the fridge and the powder in the freezer.

Also I would get some Infant Gas-X (simethicone) to have on hand.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Buddy (08-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I really think this is nutritional and with the Fox Valley, proper feeding amounts and frequency is the best medicine for his eye.

Mix the Fox Valley up hours ahead, we prefer to let it sit overnight when possible before feeding. This allows it to more fully dissolve. Discard any formula that is warmed for feeding but not eaten. Store the mixed formula in the fridge and the powder in the freezer.

Awesome! Thank you very much! Great tips!! Will follow all that! Thank you!!

Thanks! I ordered the booster too! Fingers crossed!!!

When is a good time to introduce the solid food? What should I start with?
    Also, do you have or is there a good post/thread that talks about preparation for releasing to wild? I just want to be prepared and do the right things!
    Thank you!

When is a good time to introduce the solid food? What should I start with?
    Also, do you have or is there a good post/thread that talks about preparation for releasing to wild? I just want to be prepared and do the right things!
    Thank you!

The first and only solid food should be rodent block. Henry's sells the very best, which is a "supplement" block.. so they start with 1 - 2 blocks per day and an adult gets 2 - 3 instead of a bowl full like commercial block. Order the picky... 1 bag will last 1 squirrel a month or so if stored in the freezer.
    https://www.henryspets.com/picky-blo...rats-and-mice/

If you call them they would be happy to add this to your current order since it is flat shipping you'll save some money.

I introduce this right around the time their eyes open... even a few days prior. They will not eat it at first, they will gnaw it into pieces at first. At about 6 weeks they start eating it. After they are eating the block well you can start to introduce veggies. Here is the healthy diet pyramid:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ght=flyer+diet

This forum has a few stickies at the top about releasing and release cages:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ials-and-ideas

And of course continue to ask any questions you may have...

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

bre (09-09-2020), Buddy (08-31-2020), Mialouise (08-31-2020)

The first and only solid food should be rodent block. Henry's sells the very best, which is a "supplement" block.. so they start with 1 - 2 blocks per day and an adult gets 2 - 3 instead of a bowl full like commercial block. Order the picky... 1 bag will last 1 squirrel a month or so if stored in the freezer.
    https://www.henryspets.com/picky-blo...rats-and-mice/

If you call them they would be happy to add this to your current order since it is flat shipping you'll save some money.

I introduce this right around the time their eyes open... even a few days prior. They will not eat it at first, they will gnaw it into pieces at first. At about 6 weeks they start eating it. After they are eating the block well you can start to introduce veggies. Here is the healthy diet pyramid:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ght=flyer+diet

This forum has a few stickies at the top about releasing and release cages:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ials-and-ideas

And of course continue to ask any questions you may have...
    Thank you! He is doing great! I kept pooping yesterday and this morning. I had bought Healthy Blocks as per their website recommendation, so this morning I put small pieces of them on the floor for Buddy and he managed to eat a few pieces.

I noticed his poos are a bit darker color though. They were bright yellow before; and now they seemed to be darker yellow/orange. Could it be because of FV / diet change?

Otherwise, he seems to be doing fine.

Thank you for all the suggestions/recommendations & support! I really appreciate it! It's awesome that you guys support everyone (and each other) who is desperately needing help in these difficult times. So happy that I found this board!

Sorry, I was just refreshing to see if there was a response and noticed that I typed: "I kept pooping yesterday and this morning." That should read as "HE kept pooping yesterday and this morning."

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Lighten-Up (09-09-2020)

Update on Buddy! Doing much better... Gaining weight, getting really curious...

Here's a video I took today and he made some little noises... https://youtu.be/GgIZAUDnFzA (11 sec & 22 sec)

Another video of him being playful... https://youtu.be/E4lT1dif040

This is his playground area by the way, where we watch him when he is there. Normally he is in another place that's more safe & secure where he cannot jump out etc.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Buddy:

bre (09-09-2020), Chirps (09-03-2020)

Since he is both uncoordinated and rambunctious, which is normal. I suggest making sure the corners of the bone aren't sharp. I would take a file to them if they are. The ones on the right side in the video seem like they might be. That could be how an eye injury occurred.

What animal does the bone come from?

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (09-08-2020)

It's a deer antler... Yes, I asked my husband to file it. Thank you!!

We put the antler recently... One of his eye has been cloudy/milky since the moment it was opened. I feel like the cloudy/milky area is getting smaller though. I believe Spanky suggested that it could have happened from malnutrition and could be healed in time, if that's the case (which I hope it is). We also found him on the bottom of a very tall tree (2 siblings next to him were already dead), so not sure if he hit his eye while falling...

The antler is a great choice, but it can become sharp so just keep an eye on that and everything should be fine. In the wild all sorts of rodents nibble on them. It is a great source of minerals and a constructive thing to chew on. Their teeth grow 6" inches a year so it is necessity to chew if they aren't being worn down enough by their foods.

My squirrel had one eye when I rescued her. Within a few days the other opened which I have read is not that unusual. Despite only having one eye open she was wobbling out to the ends of tiny branches, which is one of the things that drew my attention to her in the first place. She managed just fine those few days when she only had the one eye open.

There is a good chance that it will heal on its own. Squirrels have a 270 degree field of vision, which supposedly doesn't have a central focal point like ours does. So he ought to be able to see out of the parts of the eye that isn't clouded.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (09-08-2020)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast