Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 103

Thread: My Buddy....

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Regarding being skittish, always remember and be sure remind your family that a squirrel's number one job is not be eaten. As he gets older his hardwired instincts become stronger so that if a squirrel does lose its mother at this age or later they might have a chance of managing on their own.

    Exploring the world means being hyper alert for trouble. One way they look for trouble is with their senses. The other way they detect trouble is by monitoring the behavior of the other creatures around them, particularly those that are prey to the same predators that they are. So, if their mother becomes anxious they figure this means that there is a threat somewhere nearby. Subsequently they too will become anxious and become hyper vigilant for threats.

    So, if people in the house make loud noises or unusual noises or are anxious or angry Buddy will be spooked. For example, Helen doesn't like the sound of water running full blast at the spigot or the sound of me tearing duct tape. The first time I tried to take a video she bolted like a rocket because of the sound the phone made when the video started. In time some noises will come to be viewed as not threatening.

    Buddy is starting to become a squirrel. Any handler anxiety will lead Buddy to become anxious. When some idiot revs his motor Helen startles because the behavior aggravates me and she is monitoring my emotions and responds even though I haven't said a word.

    If the birds outside are fussing because their is a cat in the yard, Buddy will startle and either freeze, run or start making warning chirps of his own. His hearing is better than yours. His sense of smell is light years better than yours. Changing the scents, soaps, perfumes, etc. you use can cause anxiety. Helen is constantly smelling me.

    Eventually Buddy is going to start behaving in ways that might be insane or seem to be the product of seizures. Jumping straight up in the air. Changing direction mid-air. Darting off a full speed in a random course for no apparent reason. There will be nothing wrong with Buddy. He will just be becoming a squirrel who is practicing escape and evasion.
    Thank you!! This makes total sense! Looks like Helen is very much tuned to you and I expect Buddy will be tuned to us, as you explained. This is great to know and be aware! I will inform all of the family members as well. Thank you so very much for all the valuable info, feedback and suggestions!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Buddy, listening to the class, while having a snack... https://youtu.be/q218FPyt_S0

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    381
    Thanked: 183

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Buddy, listening to the class, while having a snack...
    It looks like he is gaining weight nicely and the fur is thickening.

  4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

    Buddy (09-21-2020)

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    It looks like he is gaining weight nicely and the fur is thickening.
    Thank you! He's been gaining weight nicely, but recently, he's lost interest in formula. I'm still offering it 3 times. He takes more in the morning and evening; lunch time is only 6 cc or so... I hope he keeps gaining and don't lose any weight. I'll be monitoring closely.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    381
    Thanked: 183

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Thank you! He's been gaining weight nicely, but recently, he's lost interest in formula. I'm still offering it 3 times. He takes more in the morning and evening; lunch time is only 6 cc or so... I hope he keeps gaining and don't lose any weight. I'll be monitoring closely.
    Buddy needs the formula more than he needs snacks. Whether this is the cause for the diminished appetite for formula, I don't know.

    I am not sure what he is eating in the video but it seems rather large for a snack, given his size.

    What a squirrel wants to eat and what it should eat aren't always the same thing. They are drawn to high calorie foods high in sugar and fats. The sugary foods should be avoided because sugar isn't good for them and then they only want the sweet stuff and will refuse to eat the basic foods that grow in the garden. Processed foods aren't great for them.

    If everybody in the house is giving Buddy snacks he won't to eat healthy, appropriate stuff. Either only one person should feed him or an effort needs to be made to control the sum total of what he is given. Getting permission or having a list on a whiteboard or piece of paper on the fridge where everything is tabulated.

    This situation sort of reminds me of my sister's dog in a household of six people.

  7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

    Buddy (09-23-2020)

  8. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    16,546
    Thanked: 11042

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Buddy, listening to the class, while having a snack... https://youtu.be/q218FPyt_S0
    Look at that little man go with that block!
    Appears Buddy approves of the choice, which
    ones are you feeding him?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

    Buddy (09-23-2020)

  10. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    South
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Very cute! My lil girl is around 10 weeks old and energetic as can be.. she calms down and basks in the sun.

  11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrly69 from:

    Buddy (09-23-2020)

  12. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Buddy needs the formula more than he needs snacks. Whether this is the cause for the diminished appetite for formula, I don't know.

    I am not sure what he is eating in the video but it seems rather large for a snack, given his size.

    What a squirrel wants to eat and what it should eat aren't always the same thing. They are drawn to high calorie foods high in sugar and fats. The sugary foods should be avoided because sugar isn't good for them and then they only want the sweet stuff and will refuse to eat the basic foods that grow in the garden. Processed foods aren't great for them.

    If everybody in the house is giving Buddy snacks he won't to eat healthy, appropriate stuff. Either only one person should feed him or an effort needs to be made to control the sum total of what he is given. Getting permission or having a list on a whiteboard or piece of paper on the fridge where everything is tabulated.

    This situation sort of reminds me of my sister's dog in a household of six people.
    Hi, sorry for the late response! I am the only one who manages Buddy's food. He is eating Henry's blocks in this video. I'm not sure which one; we have Picky and Healthy. I gave that after he already had his formula. I always try to give his formula first before offering anything else. After formula, he is encouraged to eat his blocks. If he did eat them; then there are bunch of healthy veggie options that I offer between lunch-dinner and then dinner.

    I haven't started giving any nuts yet at all.

  13. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Look at that little man go with that block!
    Appears Buddy approves of the choice, which
    ones are you feeding him?
    Thank you! I got Henry's Healthy and Picky. I took 2 from each bag every morning and give half and half (so 1 full block) in the morning and the other halves in the evening. He doesn't finish them all though...

    He's been way interested in moving around and playing recently than eating... which I think is great that he is active, but makes me worried about his food intake...

  14. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrly69 View Post
    Very cute! My lil girl is around 10 weeks old and energetic as can be.. she calms down and basks in the sun.
    Saw your little girl's photos, very cute!

  15. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Hi, sorry for the late response! I am the only one who manages Buddy's food. He is eating Henry's blocks in this video. I'm not sure which one; we have Picky and Healthy. I gave that after he already had his formula. I always try to give his formula first before offering anything else. After formula, he is encouraged to eat his blocks. If he did eat them; then there are bunch of healthy veggie options that I offer between lunch-dinner and then dinner.

    I haven't started giving any nuts yet at all.
    Oh, nothing processed or sugary either... The only sugary thing he has gotten so far are blueberries, watermelon and sweet potatoes.

  16. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    New Buddy video! Me & my bud playing rough... https://youtu.be/KcNsgdVZBUI

  17. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    381
    Thanked: 183

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Hi, sorry for the late response! I am the only one who manages Buddy's food. He is eating Henry's blocks in this video. I'm not sure which one; we have Picky and Healthy. I gave that after he already had his formula. I always try to give his formula first before offering anything else. After formula, he is encouraged to eat his blocks. If he did eat them; then there are bunch of healthy veggie options that I offer between lunch-dinner and then dinner.

    I haven't started giving any nuts yet at all.
    Sounds great. Sounds like you have it all under control. All, good, healthy choices.

    Sorry, it is my nature to worry. I always try to foresee trouble before it gets here.

  18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

    Buddy (09-24-2020)

  19. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Sounds great. Sounds like you have it all under control. All, good, healthy choices.

    Sorry, it is my nature to worry. I always try to foresee trouble before it gets here.
    Yes, no problem! I totally understand and it's great to inquiry/check-in, than assume... I'm learning a lot by just reading the questions/comments and hopefully making the right choices in the process.

  20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

    Rock Monkey (09-25-2020)

  21. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: My Buddy....


  22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

    Bravo (09-30-2020)

  23. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    381
    Thanked: 183

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    That is awesome. He looks great.

    Just remember Buddy is going to try to get to every surface in the house. He will keep trying even if he fails. He will do some crazy things to get there.

    Be on look out for objects that he may tip over onto himself. Though they are pretty good at escaping the scene as things tumble down, but I prefer not to rely on that ability.

    Thirdly, be sure potential landing zone don't include any pointy objects or hard, narrow edges.

  24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

    Buddy (09-30-2020)

  25. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    That is awesome. He looks great.

    Just remember Buddy is going to try to get to every surface in the house. He will keep trying even if he fails. He will do some crazy things to get there.

    Be on look out for objects that he may tip over onto himself. Though they are pretty good at escaping the scene as things tumble down, but I prefer not to rely on that ability.

    Thirdly, be sure potential landing zone don't include any pointy objects or hard, narrow edges.
    Thank you!! Great tips/advice (as always!). Yes, I'm doing my best to foresee the potential/danger zones. He is not outside of his cage that much; but when he is; he is under a close supervision; as I can totally see how he could get himself into trouble (by chewing/eating something he shouldn't be, or getting into the places that we cannot take him out etc).

    But when he is out of his cage; he is in good/safe places; like play time on my bed; or just walking around the house on my shoulder or head etc.

    I also take him out (in his cage) for some sunshine during the day.

  26. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    381
    Thanked: 183

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    or just walking around the house on my shoulder or head etc.
    Eventually he will start leaping off your shoulder, enabling him to get to new places previously out of reach. (Like the top of a door. "Now where are you going?" I ask her.) Or onto your shoulder. So, I always walk around slowly and at a steady pace so as not to throw off the aim.

    Just remember if he is sitting on your shoulder and reaches for your mouth or something, he isn't trying to claw you or draw blood. He will just be saying take me somewhere. (For transport Momma squirrel grabs the folds of skin in her mouth and the squirrels job is to cling onto her head and neck with all four limbs.)

  27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

    Buddy (09-30-2020)

  28. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    206
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Eventually he will start leaping off your shoulder, enabling him to get to new places previously out of reach. (Like the top of a door. "Now where are you going?" I ask her.) Or onto your shoulder. So, I always walk around slowly and at a steady pace so as not to throw off the aim.

    Just remember if he is sitting on your shoulder and reaches for your mouth or something, he isn't trying to claw you or draw blood. He will just be saying take me somewhere. (For transport Momma squirrel grabs the folds of skin in her mouth and the squirrels job is to cling onto her head and neck with all four limbs.)
    Got it! Yes, I walk slowly and make slow movements while I have him with me. I grew up with trying to catch wild kittens and play with them, so I'm not afraid of claws & little (or sometimes not so little) love bites.

    Good pointer that he will start jumping to places from me; which he already started doing; but to more obvious places; i.e. from me to the couch or to the bed... He also seems to be very content to just stay next to me and chill... which is so precious.

  29. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    381
    Thanked: 183

    Default Re: My Buddy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Got it! Yes, I walk slowly and make slow movements while I have him with me. I grew up with trying to catch wild kittens and play with them, so I'm not afraid of claws & little (or sometimes not so little) love bites.

    Good pointer that he will start jumping to places from me; which he already started doing; but to more obvious places; i.e. from me to the couch or to the bed... He also seems to be very content to just stay next to me and chill... which is so precious.
    I ended up having to put a lot of things away. I cleared off the tops of bookcases and dressers and tables (for the sake of the objects and the squirrel). Once one objects teters unexpectedly they accelerate, often causing a series of items to be knocked over and they keep sprinting until they get to a solid location. Their motto is react first and react with blinding speed.

    They are pretty good about landing softly when they jump, usually.

    I expect that the older he becomes the more independent he will want to be. Yes, they are wonderful when they are in chill mode.

    Just be sure to say, "Ouch" if a claw digs in. He will learn the difference between clothing and skin eventually and will use a softer stance on skin, unless something has made him anxious.

    They can also be stealthy, darting underfoot when you have no idea that they were that close.

  30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

    Buddy (10-01-2020)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •