Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Buddy....

Default Re: My Buddy....

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Regarding being skittish, always remember and be sure remind your family that a squirrel's number one job is not be eaten. As he gets older his hardwired instincts become stronger so that if a squirrel does lose its mother at this age or later they might have a chance of managing on their own.

Exploring the world means being hyper alert for trouble. One way they look for trouble is with their senses. The other way they detect trouble is by monitoring the behavior of the other creatures around them, particularly those that are prey to the same predators that they are. So, if their mother becomes anxious they figure this means that there is a threat somewhere nearby. Subsequently they too will become anxious and become hyper vigilant for threats.

So, if people in the house make loud noises or unusual noises or are anxious or angry Buddy will be spooked. For example, Helen doesn't like the sound of water running full blast at the spigot or the sound of me tearing duct tape. The first time I tried to take a video she bolted like a rocket because of the sound the phone made when the video started. In time some noises will come to be viewed as not threatening.

Buddy is starting to become a squirrel. Any handler anxiety will lead Buddy to become anxious. When some idiot revs his motor Helen startles because the behavior aggravates me and she is monitoring my emotions and responds even though I haven't said a word.

If the birds outside are fussing because their is a cat in the yard, Buddy will startle and either freeze, run or start making warning chirps of his own. His hearing is better than yours. His sense of smell is light years better than yours. Changing the scents, soaps, perfumes, etc. you use can cause anxiety. Helen is constantly smelling me.

Eventually Buddy is going to start behaving in ways that might be insane or seem to be the product of seizures. Jumping straight up in the air. Changing direction mid-air. Darting off a full speed in a random course for no apparent reason. There will be nothing wrong with Buddy. He will just be becoming a squirrel who is practicing escape and evasion.
    Thank you!! This makes total sense! Looks like Helen is very much tuned to you and I expect Buddy will be tuned to us, as you explained. This is great to know and be aware! I will inform all of the family members as well. Thank you so very much for all the valuable info, feedback and suggestions!

Buddy, listening to the class, while having a snack... https://youtu.be/q218FPyt_S0

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Buddy, listening to the class, while having a snack...
    It looks like he is gaining weight nicely and the fur is thickening.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (Yesterday)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    It looks like he is gaining weight nicely and the fur is thickening.
    Thank you! He's been gaining weight nicely, but recently, he's lost interest in formula. I'm still offering it 3 times. He takes more in the morning and evening; lunch time is only 6 cc or so... I hope he keeps gaining and don't lose any weight. I'll be monitoring closely.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123