Thread: Goats milk formula

Default Goats milk formula

Help!!! I just started rehabbing a 4 week old baby flying squirrel and I’m reading a lot of info about the homemade goats milk formula but I had someone tell me egg yolk would for sure kill my baby. Can anyone give be advice on this? She’s in great condition. Goes to the bathroom frequently, some days a little less pooping than others but still goes fine. The formula I have been making is 3 tablespoons of goats milk, 3 table spoons of dannon whole fat yogurt, and half an egg yolk.

Default Re: Goats milk formula

Don't panic, the eggs yolk will definitely not kill your baby.

Best to transition her to Fox Valley 20/50 at this age, it will be much more complete nutrition for her at this age:
    https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valle...aby-squirrels/

Are you planning to release? Be aware that flyers need to be released in groups, not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotalynn12 View Post
    Help!!! I just started rehabbing a 4 week old baby flying squirrel and I’m reading a lot of info about the homemade goats milk formula but I had someone tell me egg yolk would for sure kill my baby. Can anyone give be advice on this? She’s in great condition. Goes to the bathroom frequently, some days a little less pooping than others but still goes fine. The formula I have been making is 3 tablespoons of goats milk, 3 table spoons of dannon whole fat yogurt, and half an egg yolk.
    There is a recipe here that uses goat's milk, naturally sweetened yogurt, and heavy (whipping) cream. We used this formula to tide over our rescue flyer until the Fox Valley 20/50 and Miracle Nipples arrived from Henry's. Our rescue is now an extraordinarily healthy and precocious adolescent. I second the Fox Valley 20/50. I believe our little guy's robust health is due to that and to a proper diet. Diet is critical, as is exercise. Nuts and seeds are not a good diet and can, if that's the main diet, kill your little one. Read up on metabolic bone disease or disorder.

I also second the release advice you've received. These are highly social creatures, not designed to live alone. Add that your flyer will be raised in a non-traditional setting and he will be doomed to become a quick lunch for a critter higher up the food chain.

Let us know how it goes!

Jamie

By the way, Check to see if your goat's milk is condensed or concentrated. You'll need to dilute it to normal state if it is.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TomahawkFlyers from:

Chirps (08-29-2020)

where to purchase goats milk fresh? since COVID the locally fresh can not be gotten.
    Paws4life SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by paws4life321@gmail.com View Post
    where to purchase goats milk fresh? since COVID the locally fresh can not be gotten.
    Trader Joes. SOMETIMES Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by paws4life321@gmail.com View Post
    You’re in a Florida, I see. Publix sells fresh goats milk, as does Fresh Market and Whole Foods. It’s in quart size cartons in the refrigerated section with the other milks.