Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help - swollen shoulder getting worse

Default Re: Please help - swollen shoulder getting worse

Sending you a Private Message with dosing.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Mel1959 (08-28-2020)

Dosing for SMZ/TMP and Ibuprophen sent.

This is probably an abscess. The problem is that it will need to drain. I doubt the SMZ/TMP will resolve this alone but it might keep it from going systemic or involving the joint.
    I would continue warm compresses to see if it will come to a head and drain. When it drains, the antibiotic will help resolve it. You might even have to lance it yourself.

I would continue to try to get the baby on a syringe. I don’t think the baby can get enough formula from lapping from a lid.

Good luck. Let us know how this goes.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Baby Brutus (08-29-2020)

How’s Brutus this morning? I am going to send you in a private message the contact info for a vet in the town that’s about 50 miles from you.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Baby Brutus (08-29-2020)

Thank you so much!
    We did start him on the SMX/TMP Friday night and have been doing the diluted betadyne twice a day as well. Gave FV Dia-Stat at noontime figuring he needs the probiotics. Also gave Pedialyte between a couple of his meals today, and will continue tomorrow.
    Thank you again for finding a vet that will see him. I will call Monday and hopefully he can help if it needs lanced. I will remember the guidelines you sent.
    I am so grateful for all your kindness and help!

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Baby Brutus:

HRT4SQRLS (09-02-2020), Mel1959 (08-31-2020)

Default Just an update

Just wanted to give an update. Brutus seems to have turned into a little squirrel over the past week! Lots of new chirps, kind of a purring sound, and varied disgruntled squeaks when cleaning him up after eating. His energy level has really spiked, and curiosity through the roof. Been jumping, hopping, is exasperatingly fearless, and he is a fast little bugger!

Still dosing with the antibiotic. Giving ibuprofen once in the morning and once before bed.

His hair still looks thin and patchy but the bare spots are pink and look healthy. We are giving the diluted betadyne bath after his last feeding for the night. His nose is pink and hairless on one side from constantly pushing the syringe with it. His arms are still patchy. I hope the hair will grow back. I see the other photos of some of the members and their fur is so thick and smooth. We are feeding with FV and supplementing Ultraboost, and giving water between feedings as we can, so I think we are doing what we can. His tail was poofed out the diameter of a quarter yesterday - so fuzzy and pretty. It has a bald pink stripe down the center of the underside I noticed, and not sure if that is normal or not. He did have the clear blisters at the base of his tail by his anus, which cleared up a while ago. Can’t get a picture because he sqwaks when I touch it. It sure didn’t seem like it was broken when I first checked it over, but it did have a couple small bloody spots when we first found him, which seemed to heal well in the first week or so. But maybe they just don’t like their tail touched?

Regarding his shoulder - the swelling has gone down substantially from grape size down to around half the size of a marble maybe? It’s hard to tell because it looks so much better than it was but compared to his other arm it obviously still has an issue. He is still favoring the leg a bit, but seems to be using it more than he had been.

Which brings me to the vet. I called Monday and their first opening is Wednesday, so we will hopefully have more info tomorrow.

May I please ask - what things should I have him check for? Are there meds I should ask to buy while I’m there? Obviously my main concern is the bulge, but.. I’m not sure what kinds of things to ask. I’ve never done a well-squirrel check up, you know?? I’m quite nervous about going.

Any thoughts appreciated.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Baby Brutus from:

HRT4SQRLS (09-02-2020)

If they will sell you Clavamox pills 62.5mg, Baytril pills 22.7mg and metacam liquid 1.5mg/ml, these would all be good to have on hand. Clindamycin is another drug that is frequently used.

Good luck at the vet. Please keep us updated.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Baby Brutus (09-01-2020), HRT4SQRLS (09-02-2020)

Default VET UPDATE Advice needed please

Vet Update:

I took Brutus to the vet today, and while I am grateful that he agreed to see him, he was upfront that he has no experience whatsoever with squirrels. I explained the situation, and he felt the lump and said that if the treatment he is on is working so far that he was inclined not to change anything or to open it up, that it would either shrink itself or come to a head and drain. I asked how long to keep him on the SMZ/TMP and he said for 5-7 more days after the lump is gone.

I asked him about the medications recommended but unfortunately he doesn't carry any of them. He suggested the following alternatives that he would sell me. I said I would take a couple of each of them, but he wanted me to ask here first since he is unsure which are safe for squirrels to take. So basically we left in the same situation we went in with. He was nice though and didn't charge us anything for the visit. He said when I found out if the alternatives are okay I can call and schedule a time to go back down and pick them up.

Recommended: Clavamox 62.5 mg
    Alternative suggested: Amoxicillin

Recommended: Baytril 22.7 mg
    Alternative suggested: Orbax 22.7 mg

Recommended: Metcam liquid
    He does not carry that

Recommended: Clindamycin
    Alternative suggested: Cefalexin either 250mg or 500mg

Recommended: Revolution
    What he carries: Revolution Plus

Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you!

Default Dosing request please

Dosing request for Simethicone 20mg / .3mL
    Brutus was 120g at last weighing. (Which seems high since he was only 106 last Friday?)

He may not need it, but he’s had a bit of a puffy tummy the last couple feedings and thought it might be from the antibiotics so just want to be prepared. (We are feeding FV 20/50 with Ultraboost at the 5-7% of weight rate) We did cut back to closer to 5% because of the bloating. He hasn’t had a messy cage for the last day or two, so we have been doing tummy rubs under warm water which has helped him go some. He had previously been going fine in his box and tended more towards the runny side so we have given Diastat for one feeding per day, every other day, since starting the antibiotic. (haven’t since we noticed bloating yesterday)

Another question - at what age can you stop using the heating pad? His cage is nearly ready but it has a wooden floor and I’m not sure the heat will penetrate up through?

Sorry to post again so soon before I got replies on the last post, but it was too late to edit when I realized I forgot to ask.

Thank you for the help!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Baby Brutus from:

LucyV (09-02-2020)

I think you should start a new thread specifically asking about the medication substitutes. I’m sure some of the substitutions are fine, but I don’t know about all of them.

I am attaching the page from the Wild Mammal Baby book that gives dosing for INFANT GasX.

I’m sorry the vet wasn’t more helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Baby Brutus (09-02-2020), FergieBoo (09-02-2020)

Default Re: VET UPDATE Advice needed please

Recommended: Clavamox 62.5 mg
    Alternative suggested: Amoxicillin
    - Amoxicillian can be used, not preferred as it's harder on their stomachs.

Recommended: Baytril 22.7 mg
    Alternative suggested: Orbax 22.7 mg -
    Can be used, they are both a fluoroquinolone antibiotic.

Recommended: Metcam liquid
    He does not carry that - X

Recommended: Clindamycin
    Alternative suggested: Cefalexin either 250mg or 500mg -
    Either can be used - (after being reconstituted)

Recommended: Revolution
    What he carries: Revolution Plus -
    Plus not recommended.
    The difference between Revolution and Revoluion plus is Revolution only contains the active Selamectin .
    Revolution Plus contains the two actives Selamectin and Sarolaner.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Baby Brutus (09-02-2020), Chirps (09-03-2020), Mel1959 (09-02-2020)

The 120g weight is not high. When they start gaining, they really take off. Are you sure this is bloat?
    Fat little baby squirrels have plump round bellies. Bloat is usually seen in the younger babies. When they get this size, bloat is less of a problem. Can you post a pic of the belly? Fox Valley tends to satisfy them longer so he might not poop as often. They don’t always poop with every feeding.

We let them stay on the heating pad as long as they desire it. When they move off of the heat we discontinue it. Keep in mind he is a singleton. If he was with his siblings they would snuggle together for warmth. He is alone so might want the heat longer.

I do agree with the vet that if the SMX-TMP is working I would continue it.

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Baby Brutus (09-02-2020), Chirps (09-03-2020)

Have you resumed feeding Brutus by syringe? I worry that if he’s not steadily gaining weight it could be the result of not getting enough milk. In my experience they can gain 10+gr daily when they are getting adequate nutrition.

Default Update and Responses to questions

Update and Responses to questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I am attaching the page from the Wild Mammal Baby book that gives dosing for INFANT GasX.
    I’m sorry the vet wasn’t more helpful.
    Thank you for the dosing, Mel! I don't regret going to see him; I am relieved to have someone I can ask for medications if needed; that is huge. Thank you again for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    When they start gaining, they really take off. Are you sure this is bloat?
    I’m actually not sure. It just seemed like his belly was more distended than it usually has been. It did seem better last night and this morning. If it happens again, I will try to get a picture. It would ease our worry to hear it is nothing but a happy full belly.

Thank you for the info on the heating pad. He is outgrowing his box and hubby made a cage for him that has little nest box in it, but we aren’t sure how to use the heating pad with it. For now we have been putting him in the bigger cage to play and get used to it a bit but having him sleep in his box with the pad under it. My concern is that it is a cardboard box and when he realizes what his teeth can actually do. Up to this point he hasn’t really chewed on anything, but I know it’s coming and want to be prepared with something when he needs to be in the cage full time. Any suggestions? Like if the nest box is elevated a bit would having it on the outside of the hardware cloth on the side radiate through do you think?

Have you resumed feeding Brutus by syringe? I worry that if he’s not steadily gaining weight it could be the result of not getting enough milk. In my experience they can gain 10+gr daily when they are getting adequate nutrition.
    Thank you Mel! That is really good to know, because we were worried when his weight was jumping so quickly that we were giving too much or he was not pooping enough or something. We are currently feeding him five times a day, roughly four hours apart, and giving him 5-7cc each time. If he still seems hungry (most of the time) if his tummy isn’t hard, we have sometimes given him another cc, or a little bit of yogurt.

But to answer your question - we are feeding both by syringe and with the dish. The new nipples I ordered arrived today I believe, and I will start using them tonight. My husband is the one home with him all day though, and even though I’ve told him the “trance” doesn’t hurt him, it bothers him so much he prefers the little dish. He did send me a video a few minutes ago of Brutus finally actually eating one of the block though, so that is encouraging!

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Baby Brutus from:

Mel1959 (09-03-2020)

Instead of keeping him in a cardboard box it’s better to get a plastic bin. You must drill 1/2” holes all over the lid and a few around the top of the sides of the bin for air flow. He can stay in the bin until he becomes active, especially if it’s big enough. Cardboard boxes can cause them to dehydrate because it pull moisture from them, so they aren’t recommended. Place the heating pad under one half of the bin.

Instead of keeping him in a cardboard box it’s better to get a plastic bin.
    Done. Thank you

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Baby Brutus from:

Mel1959 (09-04-2020)

Default Dosing adj?

Dosing adj needed??

At last weighing Brutus is up to 143g. When I requested dosing help he was around 100 I believe. Does his SMZ-TMP need to be adjusted? The lump is still there but he is using his leg. It looks SO much better than a week ago, but is still quite substantial when compared to the other one. He is also getting wise to the icky medicine and it has been a challenge to get him to take it. We have dipped the tip in yogurt, or a bit of diluted honey, but does anyone have some ideas on ways to make sure he gets it? I don’t want to mix it with his formula because he still makes quite a mess when he eats.

Thank you

Default Re: Dosing adj?

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Brutus View Post
    Dosing adj needed??

At last weighing Brutus is up to 143g. When I requested dosing help he was around 100 I believe. Does his SMZ-TMP need to be adjusted? The lump is still there but he is using his leg. It looks SO much better than a week ago, but is still quite substantial when compared to the other one. He is also getting wise to the icky medicine and it has been a challenge to get him to take it. We have dipped the tip in yogurt, or a bit of diluted honey, but does anyone have some ideas on ways to make sure he gets it? I don’t want to mix it with his formula because he still makes quite a mess when he eats.

Thank you
    NEVER mix meds with formula. It won't make them like the meds, it will make them hate their formula and then you will be looking at early weaning.

You can try more good tasting stuff. I like grenadine for this - the cheap stuff is fine. You measure up however much medicine you are giving in the syringe. Then dip it into the sweet stuff and pull up some into the syringe with the meds. I usually use at least as much sweet stuff as the med dose size is. Since the sweet stuff is now at the tip of the syringe, it is ALL he will taste when the syringe goes in his mouth. It makes it a LITTLE bit easier. Dosing little animals that don't want it is a real ordeal.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Baby Brutus (09-05-2020)

Default Dosing adjustment necessary?

Dosing adj needed??

At last weighing Brutus is up to 153g. When I requested dosing help he was around 100 I believe. Does his SMZ-TMP need to be adjusted? The lump is still there though he is using his leg. It looks SO much better than a week ago, but is still quite substantial when compared to the other one.

Let me calculate this. Give me an hour.
    I will see if dosing adjustment is needed.

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Baby Brutus (09-06-2020)

When you feed Brutus from a dish I recommend using a syringe to dispense small droplets to prevent him from eating too much, too fast.

I used a heavy, full sized plastic plate and would put a few drops around the perimeter and watch him closely. They will eat so fast that they will choke themselves practically. When you see feet and legs stretched out they have eaten too much too quickly. They are trying to get the food down. Eventually you will recognize a change in their body language as this state begins to occur and can stop dispensing food before they get to this point of struggling to swallow.

The other problem with a small Tupperware lid is that they end up smooshing their face into the corner and food gets all over their muzzle. Fungal dermatitis can result in chunks of hair falling out. It doesn't hurt them, that I could tell. Changing the way I fed her as described above resolved this eating hygiene issue, without needing any antibiotics.

If you only dispense a drop they lick it up and with a plate there are no corners, they don't jam their face in.

I had good success with Cabot's Plain, Whole Milk Greek Yogurt. It has plenty of fat from added cream and even has D3 to help utilize the calcium. Only use a clean spoon for getting it out of the container to prevent mold and spoiling. I put mine in the back of the fridge, top shelf to keep it as cold as possible without freezing.

Baby food without any sugar added is can be mixed in as well.

I don't recommend giving any banana slices until he is much, much older. (Older meaning when they slow down and stop inhaling. When they pick up food and chew on it.) Mine choked on it on multiple occasions. It is too mooshy to chew and clumps together.

35. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Baby Brutus (09-06-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast