Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help - swollen shoulder getting worse

Default Please help - swollen shoulder getting worse

Please help. (Guessing 6-7 weeks old) Brutus still has a swollen front shoulder (not sure what squirrel joints are which). I noticed the swelling about a week and a half ago just after starting to dose with Baytril. (Which successfully cleared that issue up nicely) He was able to put weight on it and it seemed stable for about a week. He’s been getting stronger and more active, and has even begun jumping today. He will tolerate being handled and cleaned up from after he eats (still messy with his formula) but will give a slight squeaky protest when applying slight pressure to the bulge. It is really hard to tell if it is solid or not. It has grown in the last 24 hours and has me concerned. I have a steroid ointment from having poison ivy and may have a prednisone tablet but would need dosing help on either.

Vets here won’t see squirrels. So any help would be appreciated. The little guy has had a rough road so far.

Here are some photos. It’s really hard to get him to stay still.
    Name:  068BA342-430C-4A94-B51D-86726BFA31C3.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  69.4 KB Added just to show his relative size
    Name:  1DCBAD8E-DE04-4768-AE62-0C74465AE09A.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  113.0 KB front right shoulder
    Name:  C34C1881-9C1B-4BEC-A79A-535C5D52A932.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  78.9 KB front right shoulder

Default Re: Please help - swollen shoulder getting worse

Is that bulge hard or squishy? Does it stay in place or can you move it around a bit?

I am unsure what that is and wish you could have a vet look at it / x-ray it.

He looks a little spiky to me.. consider giving him some water in between feedings to hydrate him up a little.

I am not sure steroids are a good idea with this...

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Baby Brutus (08-26-2020), TubeDriver (08-27-2020)

If it is softish and growing it may be an abscess. Does it feel warm to the touch at all?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    If it is softish and growing it may be an abscess. Does it feel warm to the touch at all?
    It isnít hot to the touch. I have not seen any type of bite or break in the skin. It feels firm but not hard like bone. It gives slightly to pressure but isnít squishy. I can manipulate it only very slightly from side to side.

As a ditch effort I applied some antibiotic ointment on it last night before bed, mostly towards the back and underneath thinking that way he wouldnít be as prone to lick at it. Donít think it would hurt him, but trying to be mindful of that. I donít know if it did much but figured it was worth a try. It is still swollen today but isnít worse either.

Something else of note - the little blisters he had on his stomach have all dried up and sloughed off and the skin is pink. He has some areas on his forelegs that appear to be losing hair. I wasnít concerned at first because I thought maybe it was from the blisters healing and coming off in areas we couldnít see so well because of the hair. But his one leg is losing a lot (the opposite of the one with the bulge). I wasnít able to get a picture of that but will try this evening and will post if I can.

I did also offer him some Pedialyte for hydration as someone suggested.

Another question- the feeding trance, I have looked up and tried to read about it and most have said it isnít a concern, correct? He makes a guppy/sucking face and his head tilts up and down and his body gets very stiff. It is disconcerting because it looks like a seizure or that he canít breathe. It lasts anywhere from seconds to almost five minutes. Then he shakes his head and is hyper again. It seems to happen more when we use the small miracle nipple, so we have been just using the 3ml syringe, which isnít idea because he nudges it with his nose and chews on the tip. He still occasionally does the guppy thing with that too. Just wanted to double check that it isnít hurting him, cause itís hard to watch.

Thank you for any input!!

Any chance of finding a vet in your area that would see him and do an X-ray? It could be a cyst or a tumor.

If the pink spots look irritated you can apply some diluted betadine solution to them. No need to rinse it just let it air dry. It wonít harm him if he licks it. If the spots just look dry you can massage in some plain coconut oil. Again, this wonít harm him if he licks it.

As for the guppy mouth eating. It is sort of like a feeding trance. You can try gently tapping him on the top of the head or lightly on the nose to see if you can break the trance. Itís not harmful for him to do it and they usually outgrow it.

It sounds like you need to order some of the regular sized miracle nipples. The others are probably too small for him at this point.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Baby Brutus (08-27-2020)

Thank you for the feedback and advice!

I will try calling one of the other vets. Since I am an unplanned rehab provider and unlicensed I donít have high hopes.

I did some research on what the skin issue might be and read about the diluted betadyne and had already sent hubby to purchase some this morning, so Iím so glad to know itís a good idea!!

I do have some fractionated coconut oil, and will keep that in mind if it is looking dry. At the moment it is just pink skin. I read about mites, and also asked him to pick up some invermectin, as I figure its a good idea regardless, but I will need some dosing help with that.

Thank you for your thoughts on the nipple. I will order one of the regular size and see if that helps.
    Thanks again for any help one might provide.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Baby Brutus from:

Mel1959 (08-27-2020)

Can you give me a city that youíre near so I can see if thereís anyone that can help you? You can send it to me in a private message if you prefer.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Baby Brutus (08-27-2020)

Default Re: Please Help

Is it okay to put the formula in a little dish and let him lick it up? He is between 6-7 weeks old. Heís been struggling with feeding trance and biting the syringe. But today he crawled over to the little lid to the formula and licked it out. We tried a bit of yogurt and it seemed to work so I put his formula in there and he did great. Didnít seem to get any in his nose (on yes) and isnít clicky. But want to make sure this is okay and not harmful?
    We also got him blocks but he hasnít been interested other than a lick or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Can you give me a city that youíre near so I can see if thereís anyone that can help you? You can send it to me in a private message if you prefer.
    I am in MN, Sent you a PM for nearest city

Got it. Trying to see if thereís anyone that can help.

Yes, he can drink it from a lid, but I donít think that heíll consume nearly enough to keep him healthy. If heís only 6-7 weeks old he has another 4-5 weeks of formula being a pretty significant portion of his diet. Itís very important that he get the formula for the calcium and other nutrients it contains.

What formula are you feeding? Is he on Fox Valley 20/50? I have always add Fox Valley Ultraboost and vanilla full fat yogurt to my formula. The yogurt for the probiotics (and because itís yummy) and the Ultraboost for the added calories. I think the Ultraboost also has a touch of vanilla flavoring like the Fox Valley formula.

Have you hydrated Brutus between feedings with some slightly sweetened water? Being dehydrated will make them not want to eat.

Order some different nipples and see if that will help. You canít rely on him drinking enough formula on his own for the next 4+ weeks.

The block takes time for them to understand that food comes in a solid form, too.

Yes we have him on FV 20/50 with FV ultra boost, because he is still only around 90 grams. (Thatís up from 75 two weeks ago though so we are moving in the right direction!) We bought a water bottle today and he figured that out surprisingly fast. When his cage is finished we will have that available for him but will offer more frequently between feedings. I will order a couple nipples to try as well. Thank you!

Also - Can someone offer dosing advice for Ivermectin please? I assume itís a good idea to do this, as we havenít given anything for fleas or worms? Picture below of what we found at the store.

Name:  A0017664-7F0F-48CB-BB32-565C5E49B0FE.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  107.4 KB

What is the percentage of ivermectin in the paste? It comes in different strengths. Someone will be able to help you dose it. I know it is important not to give too much.

Have you given Brutus any INFANT ibuprofen? Because it’s an anti-inflammatory it might help his shoulder. The infant version is stronger so you can dose less. If you get some and post the strength of it and the current weight of a Brutus someone will help you dose it.

Afterthought: do you have any metacam (meloxicam, Mobic) It’s a great pain killer and anti-inflammatory, too.

Default Dosing help needed please

We did buy some childrenís liquid Advil - label says 5ml contains 100mg. If someone could please help with dosing I will try that today.

The Ivermectin is 1.87% and says the syringe holds enough to treat a 1250lb horse at the recommended dose of 91mcg per lb.

Brutusí latest weight was 97 grams last night.

I do not have the other medication you mentioned.

Default Re: Dosing help needed please

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Brutus View Post
    We did buy some childrenís liquid Advil - label says 5ml contains 100mg. If someone could please help with dosing I will try that today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Have you given Brutus any INFANT ibuprofen?
    Infants ibuprofen is 50mg/1.25ml

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Brutus View Post
    The Ivermectin is 1.87% and says the syringe holds enough to treat a 1250lb horse at the recommended dose of 91mcg per lb.

Brutusí latest weight was 97 grams last night.
    I am not usually willing to dose ivermectin because it is so toxic, especially in this little guy. Can you get any revolution? It will basically treat everything the Ivermectin will but is much safer (but more expensive).

Default Re: Dosing help needed please

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Infants ibuprofen is 50mg/1.25ml

Okay I finally found somewhere that had it and got an infant Advil 50mg/1.25 ml. Can you please tell me how to dose?

I am not usually willing to dose ivermectin because it is so toxic, especially in this little guy. Can you get any revolution? It will basically treat everything the Ivermectin will but is much safer (but more expensive).
    �� I live in the middle of nowhere and was
    lucky to find Invermectin after a two hour drive. Is “Revolution” a brand name or the name of the drug, and where might I find it? Is it available without an Rx?

I was able to find INFANT Advil 50/1.25 can you please advise how to dose 97 gram squirrel.

I looked up ďRevolutionĒ and it is only available by Rx and the Vet clinics I have called refuse to see or treat squirrels as wildlife is against the law here. I live in a remote area and was lucky to find Invermectin, which I found recommended on one of the forums here for mites which I thought might be the reason for his hair loss. But I am going to hold off on that anyway, especially if can be toxic, as the abcess (or whatever is wrong with his shoulder) is my main concern at the moment.

I guess we will continue to apply the topical antibiotic ointment and try warm compresses if be will let us. Found betadyne finally (4th store) and will also try the diluted bath with that.

I have Cipro and could start him on that again, but I read it is not very successful for abcesses. (Again, assuming that is what it is) I may have some Amoxicillin but am not sure. I do not have the recommended Clindamycin.

Please forgive me for posting without being familiar with the history. I would NOT treat this baby with ivermectin. The lump is the most important thing to treat at this point. If you’re concerned about mites, a bath in warm water with Dawn would work.

I was wondering if this is a bot warble. I looked it up. You do have them in Minnesota. This is the season.
    If not a bot fly, it is more than likely an abscess.

How long have you had this baby?

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Baby Brutus (08-28-2020)

I would ask friends and family if they have Augmentin (Clavamox), Clindamycin, Septra (Bactrim also known as SMZ/TMP) or even doxycycline. You only need a single tablet.

Amoxicillin and Ciprofloxacin are not good antibiotics for abscesses.

If it’s a bot, you would soon know as a small opening will open on one end of the lump. From your description of how fast this came up, I lean towards abscess.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Baby Brutus (08-28-2020), stepnstone (08-28-2020)

Default Dosing help please

Need dosing for Infant Ibuprofen 50mg/1.25ml for a 97g squirrel.

Thank you for the feedback hrt4sqrls. I am really praying it isn’t a bot. With the lack of an opening I am inclined to treat it as an abcess.

I was able to find SMX/TMP 800mg-160mg tablets.

I also have Doxycycline that we treated our dog with. I believe they are 10mg tablets. (She is a 10lb dog and was getting 1/4 tab twice a day for a flare up of Anaplasmosis)

Can someone please provide dosage for whichever of these are the best option?

These are the latest pictures. The bulge doesn’t seem bigger today but is also not smaller. It looks all weird because I put antibiotic ointment on it.
    Name:  0E86D800-9C70-440C-82B6-19E12AB39A12.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  93.5 KB
    You can see he has his paw up and not putting weight on it.
    Name:  8405713C-EEA8-4F6F-BFA6-9E5C73F3C9C3.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  93.4 KB
    Not a great picture but shows the size
    Name:  A407E37A-3D8F-4861-82B3-D33C30FD96FE.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  94.6 KB
    He has been eating like gang busters out of this lid. (He also had 5cc of Pedialyte between afternoon feeding.

Thank you for any help
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Give me a minute to calculate dosing.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Baby Brutus (08-28-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast