Thread: Diarrhea - 5 week olds

Default Diarrhea - 5 week olds

Hi all

I have 4 five weeks old babies and two of them suddenly started developing diarrhea yesterday. I had them on a mixture of Esbilac with a little bit of cream added until the day before. Yesterday they consumed only Esbilac and that is when the problem seemed to start (with only two of them). I have not given the two sick ones any Esbilac today, only water and Pedialyte. I do not think it is due to overfeeding as I have been giving them 5ml every 5 hours.

All input will be much appreciated.

Default Re: Diarrhea - 5 week olds

Sometimes any change can affect their GI tract. Was there a reason you discontinued the cream in the formula? Is the diarrhea liquidy or just soft? Does it have a smell? How long have you had them? Are you feeding the powdered Esbilac? If so, what’s the expiration date?

Sorry for all the questions, but this will help us determine the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Sometimes any change can affect their GI tract. Was there a reason you discontinued the cream in the formula? Is the diarrhea liquidy or just soft? Does it have a smell? How long have you had them? Are you feeding the powdered Esbilac? If so, what’s the expiration date?

Also....
    How did you determine they are 5 weeks old, are their eyes open?
    Do you have weights on these babies?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post

Thank you for all the questions! It helps me to think about all the possibilities. I read that they should 'never' be fed cream, hence the discontinuation. Diarrhea is becoming more liquidy, but no smell. I have had them for 2 weeks and have raised several litters previously. Feeding powdered Esbilac. I had a new container bought 2 weeks ago that was finished yesterday so I switched to a container I had in the fridge from a previous litter and I just noticed it has expired. Will get a fresh can first thing tomorrow. Thank you especially for that question!

I ordered Fox Valley 20/50 today as I read it is a more complete diet for them after they turn 5 weeks old. What is your opinion on that?

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Also....
    How did you determine they are 5 weeks old, are their eyes open?
    Do you have weights on these babies?
    Their eyes just opened end last week. They weighed in the morning at 110g (not from the same litter) and the three others all at 103g.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to IngridStrydom from:

stepnstone (08-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by IngridStrydom View Post
    I ordered Fox Valley 20/50 today as I read it is a more complete diet for them after they turn 5 weeks old. What is your opinion on that?
    Yes, Yes Yes... I answered for Mel and SnS too!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Yes, Yes Yes... I answered for Mel and SnS too!
    That enthusiastic 'Yes, Yes Yes' :-) brings up the question: Do you recommend having babies on Fox Valley from the start or first Esbilac and then at five weeks switch to Fox Valley?