Thread: Need help! Baby w/ AP and can't find anyone to help her. :(

Exclamation Need help! Baby w/ AP and can't find anyone to help her. :(

Hi there,

We are at a loss on how to help this sweet baby...

We found what appears to be a 2-3 week old baby squirrel in our front yard and tried to reunite it with its Mama and we were unsuccessful. We have been caring for her for 2.5 days while trying to find a rehabilitation center to take her. We've had no luck. We've called 6 licensed rehabilitators in our area and they are either full or haven't called me back. She is making some clicking noises so I think she has AP which is heartbreaking because my husband and I have tried to do everything by the book and researched before we did anything. We were so careful. I don't know how to help her. I've also called 4 different vets to see if I can get her some help. No one will even see her. I did find one today that would treat her but they will euthanize her if they can't find a placement for her and they cannot give her back to us after they see her. She seems to be eating okay, a little less than she should for her weight but still eating. She isn't horribly lethargic but we've also only had her a few days and don't know what normal is. I have no antibiotics in the house so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much! My heart hurts for this sweet girl.

Default Re: Need help! Baby w/ AP and can't find anyone to help her. :(

First off... is she clicking all the time, or just after a feeding? They will often click after a feeding because of fluids in the nose, scaring the caretaker. Check just before a feeding by putting her head in your ear.

You can get some antibiotics without a prescription. Pet stores that specialize in birds sell 'enrofloxacin 10%', which is Baytril. If you can get some and post her weight in grams we can calculate dosing.

Give her a little electrolytes between feedings.. around a third of what she will normally eat. Keeping her hydrated will make her feel better. Almost all illnesses result in dehydration.
    Javarat
    GA State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

The Cumming Nuthouse Wildlife Facility
    A Georgia 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Corporation

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Chirps (08-22-2020)

Yes to what Javarat said - occasional clicks and other mouth noises are normal for babies especially when and just after they eat. AP is in the chest, not the nose or mouth and is fairly constant.

Human meds may be used. The fastest is Cipro. It is commonly used for urinary tract infections in people so call your female friends and see if anyone has used it and has just ONE pill. If not, make a list of what you can find. We will help you dilute and dose. To do that we will need the baby's weight and the size of the pill in milligrams. You will need a 1cc or smaller syringe (what you are using to feed, we hope).

I’ve sent you a private message with a contact number for someone familiar with resources in your area. I also had this animal hospital listed in my book as a rehabber. I don’t know how close you might be, but you might call and see if they can offer any assistance.

St. Francis Animal Hospital
    Dr. Marilyn Kedzierski
    45505 Garfield
    Macomb, MI 48044
    586-228-8387

Private messages are accessed from the notifications heading at the top of the page, if it doesn’t automatically pop up.

If nearer to Grand Rapids, I can recommend:
    (4) Lowell Farm & Wildlife Center - Home

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    First off... is she clicking all the time, or just after a feeding? They will often click after a feeding because of fluids in the nose, scaring the caretaker. Check just before a feeding by putting her head in your ear.

You can get some antibiotics without a prescription. Pet stores that specialize in birds sell 'enrofloxacin 10%', which is Baytril. If you can get some and post her weight in grams we can calculate dosing.

Give her a little electrolytes between feedings.. around a third of what she will normally eat. Keeping her hydrated will make her feel better. Almost all illnesses result in dehydration.

She is clicking pretty consistently. I will look for the antibiotic today. She is still eating well. She weighs approximately 1.2 oz or 34 grams! Thanks so much for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Yes to what Javarat said - occasional clicks and other mouth noises are normal for babies especially when and just after they eat. AP is in the chest, not the nose or mouth and is fairly constant.

Human meds may be used. The fastest is Cipro. It is commonly used for urinary tract infections in people so call your female friends and see if anyone has used it and has just ONE pill. If not, make a list of what you can find. We will help you dilute and dose. To do that we will need the baby's weight and the size of the pill in milligrams. You will need a 1cc or smaller syringe (what you are using to feed, we hope).
    Yes, we are using a 1 mil syringe. Her clicking is not loud but it is pretty consistent. I have had no luck finding any antibiotics from my contacts. I am also having a hard time finding "enrofloxacin 10%" at any pet/bird/feed stores. The soonest I can get some shipped is late next week. I am about to start calling some more rehabbers to see if anyone can help. She is about 34g. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by MandeyP View Post
    She is clicking pretty consistently. I will look for the antibiotic today. She is still eating well. She weighs approximately 1.2 oz or 34 grams! Thanks so much for the reply!
    I'm having a hard time finding that antibiotic at any pet/bird/feed stores around us. Would a nebulizer help her at all? Weird question, I know. Any holistic remedies I can try in the meantime while I search?

Quote Originally Posted by MandeyP View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding that antibiotic at any pet/bird/feed stores around us. Would a nebulizer help her at all? Weird question, I know. Any holistic remedies I can try in the meantime while I search?

No, if this is AP the ONLY thing that will save her life is antibiotics.

Time is of the essence if this is AP, she'll need antibiotics started within hours and not days.

Baby squirrels raised by mom do not get "AP", it is a result of the way humans have to feed them.

Call family, friends and neighbors... you'll need just one pill to save this squirrel's life. Cipro and augmentin are two very common and very effective antibiotics that will treat AP. The animal versions are baytril and clavamox. But if you find any antibiotics, post what you have found and someone will advise if that may work.