Thread: Squirrel throwing up

Default Squirrel throwing up

I have a 5 yo Grey who was very active and healthy until this morning. Found her throwing up and wouldn’t take an almond. She drank some water.

Default Re: Squirrel throwing up

Water is good - you want to encourage that.

Is she free range and could she have gotten something that made her ill? If not, it is also possible that she has stashed something that went bad and then she subsequently ate that. I make a point of policing all stashes daily - it doesn't make me popular at the time but it DOES avoid them eating something rancid.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Buddy (11-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Water is good - you want to encourage that.

Is she free range and could she have gotten something that made her ill? If not, it is also possible that she has stashed something that went bad and then she subsequently ate that. I make a point of policing all stashes daily - it doesn't make me popular at the time but it DOES avoid them eating something rancid.
    Thank You for your advice

Sorry I forgot to answer yes she is free range. She is in her drey now. Been feeding the squirrels almonds for years and never seen one throw up or turn down an almond. She is a feisty girl and one of my favorites. I hope she comes down the tree later.

If you can get video of this if it happens again in the future I would be very interested. I've been under the impression that no rodents can vomit.

In the meantime, the can cough, would you have reason to suspect respiratory illness?

What did the vomit look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon Lotor View Post
    If you can get video of this if it happens again in the future I would be very interested. I've been under the impression that no rodents can vomit.
    In the meantime, the can cough, would you have reason to suspect respiratory illness?
    What did the vomit look like?
    Rodents can't vomit, they can not open the crural sling and lack the neural wiring required to coordinate the muscles.
    Rodents can regurgitate, often mistaken for and /or referred to as vomiting.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator