Thread: Pain med dosing

Default Pain med dosing

Could someone tell me the dosing strength for Infant ibuprofen for an adult wild squirrel -approx. 18 oz- and the vehicle for dosing as well.

I witnessed her fall out of a tree and injure her back or back legs. She still can run some and climb but has limited mobility. And she has nursing babies.

Thanks!

Default Re: Pain med dosing

Here is a video of the wild girl. It doesn't show how wonky her back legs really are, although she is getting around pretty good.

https://youtu.be/PNCbnM6rQCU

She was the dominant female in the yard but others are figuring out that somethings amiss. She tries to chase them off but can only go a few feet and has to stop.

And her tail seems to be lifeless. It has gotten slimmer and she just drags it behind her. Coming down a tree head first her tail hangs down beside her.

I tried to give her ibuprofen on a hhb but she didn't like the taste and stowed it away in a tree. I'll try again tomorrow.

Is there anything else I can try to help her?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Chirps (08-17-2020)

You want the Infant version (50mg/1.25ml strength). You can safely give 0.25ml to an adult.

Try spreading on a pecan half or mixing it into a boo ball. It is flavored and very sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    Could someone tell me the dosing strength for Infant ibuprofen for an adult wild squirrel -approx. 18 oz- and the vehicle for dosing as well.

I witnessed her fall out of a tree and injure her back or back legs. She still can run some and climb but has limited mobility. And she has nursing babies.

Thanks!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Chirps (08-17-2020), RockyPops (08-17-2020)

I would try to get her extra foods and make fresh water available. If she does not have to forage too much for food she will be more rested and hopefully heal faster. Her tail is not moving at all in that video but her legs still seem functional. Hopefully, with you supplying some food and water, she will recover over the next couple days.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Chirps (08-17-2020), Nancy in New York (08-18-2020), RockyPops (08-17-2020)

She actually fell a week ago. she seems to be coping but is not herself. Her tail was big and fluffy and has now slimmed up and seems lifeless.

I'm trying to give her pain meds and feeding her hhb and boo balls and avacado. With plenty of fresh water. She doesn't wander far from the tree where her nest and babies are.

Before she fell, she ruled my yard and I've seen her chase other squirrels 200 feet +-, including my little Coco.

Now she acts as if shes in pain.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Chirps (08-17-2020), Nancy in New York (08-18-2020), TubeDriver (08-18-2020)

It can take a while to recover but her legs do seem to move fine so hopefully she will recover and regain her strength.

She actually fell a week ago. she seems to be coping but is not herself. Her tail was big and fluffy and has now slimmed up and seems lifeless.

I'm trying to give her pain meds and feeding her hhb and boo balls and avacado. With plenty of fresh water. She doesn't wander far from the tree where her nest and babies are.

Before she fell, she ruled my yard and I've seen her chase other squirrels 200 feet +-, including my little Coco.

Now she acts as if shes in pain.

-Grateful Dead

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

RockyPops (08-18-2020)

Follow up on injured mom.

Yesterday the first dose of ibuprofen on an hhb was stashed. She started to eat it but decided not to.

I assume she ate it this morning since she did look a little better in her face. Her gait was still off though.

I gave her another dose this afternoon on a boo block which she promptly ate all of.

Amazingly, 20 minutes later she was hopping across the yard almost normally and climbing normally also. She even felt like checking out the nest box where she raised her first litter. And worked on the opening a bit as well. I think she's gonna move this new litter in it soon.

I'll check on her tomorrow. I have another dose ready just in case.

Thanks for the help!

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

bre (08-25-2020), Nancy in New York (08-19-2020), TubeDriver (08-20-2020)

New Momma is doing about the same. Getting around but still wonky.

She continues to do better after an ibuprofen dose. I started out with 2 a day for the first two days and am doing one a day now.

How long is it safe to do a daily dose?

And she is staying in her old nest box where she raised her first litter. She went in today during the day so I'm assuming her babies are in there now.

I can't believe she was able to move them. She had to bring them from a dray about 60 feet high, over to another tree and down to the nest box about 25 feet high. And being injured as well...

The up side is that Coco, who is just fantastic, is hanging around a little closer to home since New Momma is ill.

Ounce a day motrin dosing is fairly conservative. I think another couple days or longer will be no problem. Motrin should also be pretty safe for breastfeeding her babies. Just try to keep a bowl of fresh water nearby, the better hydrated she is, the safer it will be.

New Momma is doing about the same. Getting around but still wonky.

She continues to do better after an ibuprofen dose. I started out with 2 a day for the first two days and am doing one a day now.

How long is it safe to do a daily dose?

And she is staying in her old nest box where she raised her first litter. She went in today during the day so I'm assuming her babies are in there now.

I can't believe she was able to move them. She had to bring them from a dray about 60 feet high, over to another tree and down to the nest box about 25 feet high. And being injured as well...

The up side is that Coco, who is just fantastic, is hanging around a little closer to home since New Momma is ill.

-Grateful Dead

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

RockyPops (08-21-2020)

New Momma is continuing to improve. I have cut the ibuprofen down from twice a day to once a day and now every other day.

She is much better. Her tail has started fluffing back out. I was worried that she had broken something and was going to lose it.

She also gets around much better. She still has a hunched up, wonky gait but she's making it work. She chased an intruder for about a hundred and twenty feet today. So she's returning to normal slowly.

I would say she's about 75% normal and improving.

Thanks for the help TD and others!

P.S.

I saw a darling little face peering out of the nest box today right after mom left. She had to go back in a couple of times to put baby back down under predator shelf I think. Little rascal!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

TubeDriver (08-26-2020)

Glad to hear she is improving! She is lucky to have you as her friend!

-Grateful Dead

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

RockyPops (08-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Ounce a day motrin dosing is fairly conservative. I think another couple days or longer will be no problem. Motrin should also be pretty safe for breastfeeding her babies. Just try to keep a bowl of fresh water nearby, the better hydrated she is, the safer it will be.
    I think TD mean't ONCE a day, not OUNCE a day! LOL.

You can dose ibuprophen every 4 hours for shortish periods of time, so once a day is really low. The one thing you want to not do is to relieve all of the pain because it causes her to limit what she tries to do. Take it all away and they will injure themselves more.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

RockyPops (08-27-2020), TubeDriver (08-26-2020)

Update on New Mamma....

She's no longer getting pain meds but seems to slowly be getting better. She runs and climbs ok, although she still has a funny hump-back look to her.

Her tail from her butt to half way to tip looks like she can control it some and has filled back out. The back half still drags behind her.

She's about 85 - 90% of normal I would guess.

She moved her babies to Coco's nest box from her original nest box.

And today her babies made their first appearance outside. There are two I think, about 8 weeks old and just beautiful. One has a tail fit for a queen. They are just beautiful!

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Nancy in New York (09-10-2020)

Another update on New Momma...

So her tail looks almost normal at the halfway point from her butt to the tip. Filled out and has some function to it. Right after the fall and for a week or so the whole tail just dragged behind.

Now at the halfway point where it transitions there is a nasty raw, bloody section about an inch long. I thought at first she may have gotten it hung up etc. since its non functional but now it looks as if she is actually chewing it off. I was hoping the feeling was coming back and causing it to itch and she had gnawed on it and gotten it raw. Now it looks like the bone or cartilage is partially severed. Like she's trying to remove it.

Does this seem normal?

Is another round of ibuprofen indicated?

Does she need ab's for infection?

Is there anything I can do to try and preserve the tail?

She's mean to other squirrels but she is such a good mamma. And her two new babies are running up the tree four or five feet now above the nest box. They are so cute!

I had a wild in my yard that had a tail injury very similar to what youíre describing. I donít know if it was ever limp like your girls, but it had about an inch long bloody portion in the middle of the tail. I didnít ever notice it chewing it though. At one point the end portion of the tail seemed to hang a bit and I thought he was going to lose the whole lower half of the tail. I didnít treat with anything. I watched it, he came every day for treats, and slowly it got better. The end of the tail never turned black, nor did it look red and inflamed which would have indicated infection and I would have intervened. Itís healed now and you canít tell anything was ever wrong.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (09-14-2020)