Thread: Emaciated baby squrriel

Exclamation Emaciated baby squrriel

Hi All

This is my first time rehabbing, we reached out to people in the area but no responses following the storms in Illinois and Iowa. The baby was found by a downed tree stone cold thought we'd loose him but its been a week and I cant bare to see him die now.

He's about 3 weeks old (fox valley formula on the way) but I cant get him to gain weight hes 46 grams and falling, which started kinda suddenly 2 days ago, you can see his little hip bones, I've bulked the formula esbilac puppy milk (powder) with heavy cream (going on for 12 hours now). Feedings every 2 -3 hours 24 hrs a day heating the formula up whenever it cools, he's taking 2-3 cc a feeding, Ive read he should be taking 3-4 but he starts fighting me, rice buddy heated every feed, I check to make sure its not too hot or cold. Pooping and peeing well and very active during feedings.

I'm at a loss with how to get him to gain weight, please help! All the threads I've read people have had success with cream or things worked themselves out but I'm worried wait and see will kill him if I'm not doing everything I can right now.

Default Re: Emaciated baby squrriel

When you place the squirrels chest to your ear do you hear constant clicking or wheezing? ...... if you do your baby has pneumonia and will need to be treated with antibiotics to over come this.

As far as food goes until the Fox Valley arrives have you tried goats milk? ....... you can find it in the frig section at your local grocery store or in a can on the shelf.

Sending Healing Vibes out to the little one.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rhapsody from:

mikogemstone (08-17-2020)

What is the expiration date of you Esbilac? Is it the powder version?

The heavy whipping cream is good, and you can also add a little full fat yogurt to his formula. Watch for loose stool.

Fox Valley makes a product called a Ultraboost that can be added to formula to increase the calorie count which will aid in weight gain. You simply substitute 25% of the formula powder for the Ultraboost powder when mixing the formula. The water ratio remains the same....1 part powder to 2 parts hot water. I always use Ultraboost with my little guys, as well as add the yogurt to the formula.

If it’s only been 12 hrs since you began the whipping cream. It will take a little while to see an appreciable change in weight gain.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

mikogemstone (08-17-2020)

Thank you for your responses, I was lucky enough to reach out to a wildlife rehabber in my area who now has him, and while he's very thin, he was pretty active so she felt he could turn around. Not gonna lie I cried lol, but hes in the best place now.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mikogemstone from:

Mel1959 (08-17-2020)