Thread: Possible Bloating

Default Possible Bloating

Name:  Craig01.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  29.1 KBName:  Craig02.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  36.2 KB
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking after a 3-4 week old grey squirrel. He usually is only pooping every three feedings. I'm feeding Fox Valley, 5% every 3-4 hours so I don't think I'm overfeeding, but I'm looking for help. I can't tell if he's bloated or not, but am starting to give simethicone to hopefully help with the constipation. He normally sleeps in all sorts of positions but the past 12 hours it's been on his back only, so I'm wondering it that may be because of the constipation? Over that time he's been inconsistent with his urination as well. Some times it drains like a typhoon, others I'll barely get more than a three drops. I've also tried belly rubs and warm water soaks but those don't appear to have helped. I'll take any thoughts, advice, well wishes anyone's got to give.

I tried to attach pictures (don't know if it was successful) of his stomach and the top/side view best I could. Even if he's not bloated, I'll take advice for the constipation.

Thanks everyone. This board has been so crucial in providing a ton of great information! So glad I found this site.

Default Re: Possible Bloating

He doesn’t look bloated to me. The Gas X drops are used by some daily as a preventative so I don’t see a problem with him getting them.

Try offering some water sweetened with clear Karl corn syrup in between feedings. Corn syrup acts like a laxative. You can also offer a little diluted apple juice or prune juice between feedings.

Dehydration can cause constipation and would also explain the lack of urination at times.

You said you are feeding him every 3-4 hours.. are you also giving him at least 6 hours at night with no feedings?
    This helps him purge out the surplus formula, so it does not ferment and cause bloat.

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    You said you are feeding him every 3-4 hours.. are you also giving him at least 6 hours at night with no feedings?
    This helps him purge out the surplus formula, so it does not ferment and cause bloat.
    Thank you. No I have been waking up and giving him food 4 hours into the night. I'll definitely give that a shot. The gasX and prune juice from the prior person's reply seems to have really helped clear up the issue as well. Love the knowledge each of you bring! Thank you so much.

At this age i normally give them 8 hours at night with no feedings.
    So you are basically dropping the night feeding, and keeping the same schedule.
    I weigh them in the morning before the feeding to get the most accurate log of their weight.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Mel1959 (08-15-2020)