Thread: Do not have access to antibiotics: other ways to treat pneumonia

Default Do not have access to antibiotics: other ways to treat pneumonia

I've had a very small pinky for, going on, 3 days. It was blown from a tree during a storm and found by a neighbor, partially submerged in water. after warming it up, I left it outside for mom to reclaim him but she never did. I suspected pneumonia immediately, as it did click when it breathed and I ordered Baytril as soon as I knew I would try to rehab it, but it hasn't even shipped yet and there were no options for rush delivery.

I thought he would push through as he was eating well and was strong and adorable. To my great despair he took a quick a dive, this morning, and I'm desperate to do anything I can! Is there anything else that can help?

Many thanks in advance.

Default Re: Do not have access to antibiotics: other ways to treat pneumonia

Call local pet stores that specialize in birds and ask if they stock Enrofloxacin 10%. This is Baytril, and you can buy it without a prescription.
    If you can get it immediately by picking it up cancel your online order.
    If you get it post the weight of your baby, and we can send instructions for diluting and dosing.

There is no effective treatment other than antibiotics for pneumonia. Heat and moisture make them more comfortable, but do not improve healing.

Side note. Babies often click after a feeding because of moisture in their nose. Check them before feeding them, as they might not be clicking then, and not have pneumonia.

If he is 'taking a dive' as you said... it may be too late for antibiotics to help.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

frankc (09-13-2020)

Need help asap please, the antibiotics I am able to get my hands on are amoxitex or teyratex? Will either of these help with ap? I have baytril on the way but can pick one of these up sooner. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by NessieWallace View Post
    Need help asap please, the antibiotics I am able to get my hands on are amoxitex or teyratex? Will either of these help with ap? I have baytril on the way but can pick one of these up sooner. Please help!
    This has Amoxicillin and Tylosin Tartrate.. the amoxicillin is safe for squirrels (not very effective for AP but sometimes it works) but I have no idea if Tylosin is safe for squirrels...

Can you call friends family and neighbors and try to find other antibiotics?