Thread: 2 baby squirrels pooping problem

Exclamation 2 baby squirrels pooping problem

I have a male and a female around 3 weeks old Both weighing around 42g my male hasn’t been pooping as often as he was before. yesterday was the first day giving them the full strength goat milk before it was 3tbs goat milk 2tbs yogurt now the full portion with the egg and whipping cream. Anyway the male hasn’t pooped since 8 pm yesterday and I had to use the water method for that I haven’t gotten him to poop again since also not peeing nearly as much. Now the girl has been pooping nonstop even once on her own it’s gotten loose now and i also just noticed that there was blood this last time. Please help.

Default Re: 2 baby squirrels pooping problem

They also seem like they still have their full appetite

Temporary Goats milk recipe is :
    3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream
    1 part vanilla yogurt

This is supposed to only be used temporarily until you get either find better formula, or have it shipped to you.

I am not sure where you got the recipe you are using.
    There is most definitely NOT supposed to be any egg in it. This is way too much protein and will turn into cement in their intestines.

Stop all formula and start giving them small amounts of water each hour to see if we can break up and remove the proteins.

Check your local pet store for Esbilac Goats Milk powder. (Not the liquid, and not the Esbilac Puppy formula). Mix 1 part powder with 2 parts hot water.

If we can get them to start passing what they have eaten out of them, give them some of the mixed Esbilac formula diluted even further with 1 part mixed formula to 3 parts water for a couple of feedings, then step up to 50/50 ratio for a few feedings, then 75/25, etc.
    Hopefully we can get the egg back out of them.

Other choices for formulas that are better are either Fox Valley 20/50 or Zoologic 33/40, both ordered online.

i found the egg part on the henry's website which tsb has sent me to and also on here and a couple other places. already been giving them water the girl has been pooping nonstop the guy still hasn't pooped since yesterday. i thought the esbilac was extremely dangerous i know that you said it's the goat milks one not the puppy but still anyway. the fox valley 20/50 is already on it's way is there any sort of laxative i can do would the gas-x be good ive been giving him hydration fluid with apple juice

Little update: we got the male to poop a little bit under water still not what I feel it should haven’t gotten him to poop again haven’t fed him formula just fluids.

The girl is the exact opposite she after pooping so much some loose has just passed diarrhea this last time she had one meal and fluids. The guy has had quite a bit of apple juice not sure what to do going forward please help.

If the little boy is pooping give him some of the formula, without the egg, diluted 50%.
    If the little girls poop is too soft, step her up to full strength formula.
    Give both of them electrolytes (pedialyte, not a sports drink) between feedings. Especially the little girl as diarrhea causes dehydration.

How often are you feeding them?
    At 42 grams they should be eating 2 ml every three hours, with a six hour stretch at night with no food.

Yes, you can give them gas-x. I know a lot of rehabbers who give their babies a little each day as a preventative.

Best bet is going to be to try to keep them pooping and hydrated until the fox valley comes in.
    Swapping them to something else, and then to fox valley would just cause more intestinal confusion.

For the diarrhea, you could try giving her a little Benebac gel, which you can find at pet stores or online.