Thread: Releasing a 2 year old

Default Releasing a 2 year old

Hello again-
    Trying to release my 2 year old. We let her out and she stays around the house. What can we do to make sure she's safe?
    Thank you for your help 🥰

Default Re: Releasing a 2 year old

How long was she in an outside release cage before you released her? Was she inside for two years? Are you providing her a place to live outside like in the RC to return to and sleep or a nest box in the trees? Are you providing food for her?

These questions are important for us to understand how you transitioned her and what her chances for success are. If all she’s ever known is a life inside and suddenly she’s outside, I’d say her chances of success are slim.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Scooterzmom (08-15-2020)

Thank you for responding. We have her in an outside cage and will put a house in a tree. We haven't released her yet but she loves to play in the grass and when she gets tired she will go in her house. I'm afraid to leave her since we have neighbors with a dog. We will keep her in a cage for another 3 weeks before we think about releasing her.
    What I'm wondering is if she will adapt to outside and whst steps I can take to help her transition. She is our little girl but I want her to be free and safe ( not asking much am I) thank you in advance for your response.

Every squirrel is different. Some really don’t want a life in the trees...as strange as that seems. Others can’t wait to leave the confines of a cage.

I think it’s important to observe how she responds to your neighbors dog. Does she show a healthy fear when he’s around? Does she alarm at him or at other dangers? Is she overly friendly with everyone?

She may prove to be one of those rare squirrels that prefers a cushy life indoors. I think she’ll tell you by her actions. Limiting your interactions with her may help her accept life in the wild.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Scooterzmom (08-15-2020)

Thank you!