Thread: Frantic Behavior in Adolescent Flyers. Help Please?!

Default Frantic Behavior in Adolescent Flyers. Help Please?!

https://youtu.be/8PG2gr3z8ME

Two of the adolescents started exhibiting this behavior about a week or two before the colony was released Saturday night. These two have so far elected to stay, and continue with this behavior from the time they wake up until the time they go to bed. They are leaner than the rest and maybe undersized. I've not seen them eat or drink, though they must do these things after Pam and I are asleep. Their movement from place to place in the cage is lightning quick. They have shown no interest at all in going outside and claiming their freedom.

What can I do to help these little ones?

Thanks!

Jamie

Default Re: Frantic Behavior in Adolescent Flyers. Help Please?!

From what I know that is classic “I want out” behavior. Is there any way to guide them to the portal for exit? Can you isolate them from the others in order to do so? Sometimes with grays in a RC they don’t recognize the portal as an exit route and will run by it without ever looking to see that it’s open. Could this be the case for these guys?

On another note, do you detect any neuro issues with any of them? They move about the cage just fine?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Chirps (08-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    From what I know that is classic “I want out” behavior. Is there any way to guide them to the portal for exit? Can you isolate them from the others in order to do so? Sometimes with grays in a RC they don’t recognize the portal as an exit route and will run by it without ever looking to see that it’s open. Could this be the case for these guys?

On another note, do you detect any neuro issues with any of them? They move about the cage just fine?
    Thanks Mel. These particular kids move so fast that it would be extremely difficult to guide them or catch them. They are super wary and don't come to the front of the cage even when a nut is offered. The only option here, I think, is to isolate them in the top layer while they are romping and then haul that downstairs and open the doors when the next evening arrives. We'd need to be sure the other few kids who live in that layer get moved lower first, though. Any thoughts on simplifying this?

Regarding neuro - they move just fine, though they tend to "splat" every once in awhile when jumping from high to low. Not as graceful as the rest of the crew.

Jamie

Can you lead them to the portal with treats? Leave their food in the portal instead of where you normally put it - they may figure things out if you can get them into the opening.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Chirps (08-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Can you lead them to the portal with treats? Leave their food in the portal instead of where you normally put it - they may figure things out if you can get them into the opening.
    There is great beauty in the simplicity of this answer. I'd never have seen it for being so deep in this forest. I'll give it a try and let you know!

Jamie

Well, the trail of food seems to have worked for one of the frantic kids. Thanks, CritterMom. The other is still lapping around the tops of the two hammocks. The sweet shy mom (who we think is Louie's mom) appears to have headed for the trees. There is, we think, one kid who might be taking up residence in the outside nest box. He was hauling acorns out there and stashing them. We heard him eating one and then all was quiet out there. Last but not least there is one of the kids who was always shy of us who I watched hop into one of the sparkling clean maternity wards with brand new bedding. So, two - maybe three remain. This may sound melodramatic, but I feel as if these kids have taken my heart with them as they've headed through that portal. It really is hard watching the colony's presence inside dwindle to nothing. I get that we have not displaced them, that they have chosen their own way, and that the portal is always open for them to come inside short or long term; but, by God, this is hard.

Louie seems confused but fine. He jumped from my shoulder onto the forbidden zone (our bed) right next to YoYo. She awoke with a start and Louie jumped right back up on me and ran inside my shirt. If I didn't know better, I'd think he did that on purpose. He also zoned in on the new box of acorns that arrived yesterday, jumped into it, and was having NONE of being picked up out of there. He was in Heaven. Against much squeaking, squealing, and grunting, I picked him up - a wiggling ball of fluff with an acorn in his top teeth, and put him into the cozy cube in his cage. He descended into the depths and the only sound coming out of there was teeth on shell. We are lucky, I think, that he is fine with a squirrel healthy diet - mostly Teklad 2018, (broken up into Louie-sized pieces), fresh veggies, fruit, and branches. When he does get a nut, he invariably "goes nuts!"

This is it for tonight. It is so good to have a community of people who get it with whom to share this part of the adventure.

Jamie

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TomahawkFlyers from:

Mel1959 (08-12-2020)

Thanks for the update. I can only imagine how it feels to see them slip away, but now you have a new adventure/research project, which is to see who comes to check you out and get treats as you sit out in the evenings. And I have to think that they are so overjoyed just now at their freedom, they probably have to zip all over and rediscover this tree, that nook, that cranny, reacquaint themselves with their real world. I bet when frost comes they'll remember their cushy digs and who knows? Maybe they'll bring some new tenants along with them.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Diggie's Friend (08-13-2020), Mel1959 (08-12-2020), TomahawkFlyers (08-12-2020)

I am sorry for yor "Empty Nest" feelings. As hard as it is they are happy kids right now.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BCChins from:

TomahawkFlyers (08-12-2020)

Default A Sliver of Joy ...

... no, a BLAST of JOY ... in the form of a white furry belly making its way across the balcony screen! Also spotted tonight was a kid expertly gliding from the outside platform to an adjacent tree trunk. A sight to behold! We also heard a thump on the platform and when we looked we saw a kid we thought had left hopping up into the nest box. We thought we were down to two kids. When we looked again, there were five. This is evidence of kids we know had left returning. It might be just to catch a meal or to be warm for the night, or - who knows? Who cares? The true two-way nature of the plan and the portal has been established! A sliver of joy during difficult moments. We will sleep soundly tonight, no doubt with smiles on our faces.

Jamie

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

AnaMM (08-13-2020), BCChins (08-13-2020), Diggie's Friend (08-13-2020)

That’s awesome that they figured out the two way portal! I’m sure games of “follow the leader” will continue and before you know it they’ll all have figured it out. I’m also thinking your adolescent that is doing backflips will undoubtedly follow someone out.