Thread: Aspiration on a 29 gram (1lb) tiny baby squirrel.

Default Aspiration on a 29 gram (1lb) tiny baby squirrel.

Please help. baby squirrel Meadow weighs 29 grams (1 pound). I used a squirrel feeder(nipple and syringe), gave 1.45 cc of esbilac goat milk for puppies ( I recently ordered the fox squirrel milk, waiting for the shipment). Well I believe the baby squirrel has aspiration because when i try to feed her (ever so gently) I hear clicks as she’s trying to drink (my bf thinks it’s her mouth sucking, the noise) but i hear consistant little clicks. It’s only when she’s feeding and She is not finishing her milk. She also has some yellow gewy poop that is not like usual. She is peeing, yellow and sometimes clear. Everything was fine before i started using that squirrel nipple feeder :/. I want her to be healthy so bad. I read on some of these posts to give her baytril? Is the baytril im buying for puppy’s ear infection? Bc that’s what I’m reading on the labels at petsmart and petco? Which type of baytril should i buy? I am also terrified that it might hurt her or make her worst. I want her to survive really bad and i feel terrible. She still moves around quite often, she is very active, but is giving me such a hard time to feed (i warm the milk several times and make sure her body is warm too. She also cry’s more too. I feel she’s hungry bc she wants to eat the syringe when I’m trying to feed her but doesn’t get through a whole feeding. She is warm and in a plastic container with a heating pad half way and under the container. She is not bloated. I tried giving her pedialyte- for the diahrea (i think it’s diahreah- mustard color very soft and gewy). Please help. Should I give her baytril? Which kind?

Default Re: Aspiration on a 29 gram (1lb) tiny baby squirrel.

Baytril is typically a prescription medication, but if you could post what it is that you see at Petco we'll try to help.

When they have Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) they click all the time. And they almost all click some during / after feeding (this is a different click though).

Thank you so much for your response. I think i might have panicked and it’s not aspiration then.

I have another issue, she has diarrhea. I was feeding her the esbilac goat milk, also feeding her pedialyte for dehydration. Her poop was normal and gold in color. Now it is gold and watery. I ordered the fox valley baby squirrel formula 32/40 but was told their were complications with this milk too?? Also, she does not want to drink the pedialyte, milk yes, pedialyte no. What do you suggest i do. She is 1-2 weeks old. She’s been with me for 5 days now.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Mix up her goats milk formula according to the recipe, then add a bit to another container and add a bit of water to it, heat that and feed it. You can give the slightly diluted food for a couple feedings then start her on the normal, undiluted recipe.

Ok thank you !