Thread: Do Eastern Greys migrate?

Default Do Eastern Greys migrate?

Piddu the Lil' Eastern Gray came to me as 5/6 week old. Grew to be a happy healthy tree squirrel and transitioned to the tall Maple trees in my back yard. Daily visits to Mom and even respond to when I call out his name. Loved his walnuts and almonds but delighted on stealing buttered toast, biscotti, and cupcakes. Didn't like the icing, would flip the cupcake over and devour it. No amount of yelling would deter him. One day I came down to find him trying to open the box of banana nut bread. So I yelled at him "NO Piddu, that's too much sugar!" He stopped gave me a nasty look turned around and hopped off. I kept calling him back waving the bag of walnuts, but he just kept hopping away and jumped into the trees. He has not come back ... its been 6weeks... I call him every day! My eyes scan the branches and fences.

In the past, he would disappear for a couple of days at a time and then once for a whole week... and come happily scampering back all of a sudden!

This May 2020 He was 1 year and 3months. There were 3 squirrels in my back yard. A bigger male and one dainty female. Piddu would occasionally fight with the big male. One day the female brought her babies and let them play in my back yard... After a few days, as they followed her to my back yard and she chased them away. I have not seen the 2 little ones, Piddu, and Big male since. I have looked for my Piddu all over my neighborhood. I recognize Piddu by his markings and his ears had changed become heart-shaped. Also, he had lost a lot of his coat on his chest and stomach. I was worried but could not catch him to take him to the vet. Occasionally, he would let me pet him. I could not really see any fleas, but vet suggested a drop of Simparica. Which I gave him a few days before he disappeared.
    A wild-life rehabber told me that the squirrels are known to disappear for a few months and then come back. Do they?
    Don't want to keep my hopes up ... but I miss my Piddu so much :
    Last edited by Anjali; 08-09-2020 at 01:20 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Anjali from:

Chirps (09-02-2020)

Default Re: Do Eastern Greys migrate?

That is the hardest thing for releasing. Sometimes they go off to find their own tree. That's why when its possible release back at the same tree they where born so they can be with his family. Momma knows her children. Yes, sometimes they do return after they settle in elsewhere or go out to start their own family. In our 💕 they always are missed and we worry like parents. That happened to me once and other squirrels started to pick on one of my releases and now if I can't release back to where they where born I give them a new start in a park or cemetary wherever I know water, trees and possible food for them. :-) one day his family might come to you for more nuts. Piddu is loved ❤

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LanSeaAir:

Anjali (09-02-2020), Chirps (09-02-2020)

"Do eastern grey squirrels migrate?"

This is actually a very interesting question, because 200 years ago they used to.
    Early settlers in America recounted great squirrel migrations. Thousands moving through the trees, and hundreds drowning at river crossings.
    With the introduction of roads (primary killer of squirrels) and removal of trees we currently have less than 2% of the squirrel population that used to exist.
    The reduction in population has resulted in them no longer having an urge to migrate.

But your situation is different, as I think all of the ones you are mentioning are males.

Female squirrels rarely move away. Most live their entire lives within a thousand feet of where they were released. I know one who has apparently never left the shed she was raised/released in.. raising two litters without ever climbing a tree.

Male squirrels instinctively move to new areas to spread their genes. About once every 6 months they pick a random direction and move a couple of miles. This makes them encounter cars, dogs, etc. A study of dead squirrels on roads found that 90% of them were young males. Most likely because they roamed to new areas. Also, the mother squirrel will instinctively chase away any of her male offspring after a few months. I have seen many young males leave after their mom turned on them.

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Anjali (09-02-2020), Chirps (09-02-2020), island rehabber (08-13-2020), Rock Monkey (09-04-2020), RockyPops (08-09-2020)

Javarat, very interesting information.

Do you have any material for reading etc. on squirrel behaviors. I am fascinated by their behavior in the wild.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Chirps (09-02-2020)

I had a friendly female wild squirrel that ate from my hand daily. Her name was Nutkin. One springtime she disappeared and did not come back, I feared the worst, it is so hard to miss our fuzzy friends that we have shared companionship of any kind with. Then 5 months later she reappeared, I was so surprised, didn't even know who she was at first, but she ate out of my hand as if nothing had happened. She was gone for a complete 5 months.

I don't think it was migrating, I think that she just found a summer home to live in, another territory for some reason.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

Anjali (09-02-2020), Chirps (09-02-2020), Mialouise (08-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Lighten-Up View Post
    I had a friendly female wild squirrel that ate from my hand daily. Her name was Nutkin. One springtime she disappeared and did not come back, I feared the worst, it is so hard to miss our fuzzy friends that we have shared companionship of any kind with. Then 5 months later she reappeared, I was so surprised, didn't even know who she was at first, but she ate out of my hand as if nothing had happened. She was gone for a complete 5 months.

I don't think it was migrating, I think that she just found a summer home to live in, another territory for some reason.

That's funny, that happened to our favorite neighborhood squirrel. She was the friendliest little thing...we went out and visited with her daily. She would crawl all over us, run to us when she saw us and took nuts from us in the most gentle way. But then one day, she just disappeared. We obviously feared the worst. This was 6 weeks ago. She left her recent baby girl and her son from a previous litter (they still hang out). We finally found her in a park near by. BUT she is NOT the same sweet squirrel. She's become very aggressive...assuming she is trying to assert dominance in her new territory. Wish she would just come back and be our friend again...your story gives me hope.

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Riggic:

Anjali (09-02-2020), Chirps (09-02-2020), Lighten-Up (08-15-2020)

Question Re: Do Eastern Greys migrate?

Quote Originally Posted by LanSeaAir View Post
    That is the hardest thing for releasing. Sometimes they go off to find their own tree. That's why when its possible release back at the same tree they where born so they can be with his family. Momma knows her children. Yes, sometimes they do return after they settle in elsewhere or go out to start their own family. In our 💕 they always are missed and we worry like parents. That happened to me once and other squirrels started to pick on one of my releases and now if I can't release back to where they where born I give them a new start in a park or cemetary wherever I know water, trees and possible food for them. :-) one day his family might come to you for more nuts. Piddu is loved ❤
    Thank you so much for responding with calming advice. Its been three months since my brat disappeared. Seems like they are much like humans kids!!! Gone as soon as they can! Parents keep waiting for their return

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    "Do eastern grey squirrels migrate?"

This is actually a very interesting question, because 200 years ago they used to.
    Early settlers in America recounted great squirrel migrations. Thousands moving through the trees, and hundreds drowning at river crossings.
    With the introduction of roads (primary killer of squirrels) and removal of trees we currently have less than 2% of the squirrel population that used to exist.
    The reduction in population has resulted in them no longer having an urge to migrate.

But your situation is different, as I think all of the ones you are mentioning are males.

Female squirrels rarely move away. Most live their entire lives within a thousand feet of where they were released. I know one who has apparently never left the shed she was raised/released in.. raising two litters without ever climbing a tree.

Male squirrels instinctively move to new areas to spread their genes. About once every 6 months they pick a random direction and move a couple of miles. This makes them encounter cars, dogs, etc. A study of dead squirrels on roads found that 90% of them were young males. Most likely because they roamed to new areas. Also, the mother squirrel will instinctively chase away any of her male offspring after a few months. I have seen many young males leave after their mom turned on them.
    Wow Fascinating! This is exactly how it seems to have happened! All Spring I had Piddu another male I call Big Boy, and a female I named Pidki. Big Boy and Pidki watched Piddu as he interacted with me, in and out of the house. The two males disappeared almost the same day. So they travel together it seems. Pidki chased off her two offspring a couple days later. So I guess they were males. Pidki stayed back and comes to feed at my window. She does not scurry away as soon as she sees me. But no touching either.
    Thank you for sharing... A squirrels got to do their thing! He bade a wonderful bye to me just a couple days before he left. Its a 5 minute video. If I can figure out how to attach it here!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Anjali from:

Chirps (09-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Lighten-Up View Post

Thanks So Much!!!! You give me hope that Piddu might return. Its 3+ months so maybe he will come back!

Thank you for your insights about the natural behavior of the wild Grey Squirrels. This was my first one ever. It was hard when he stopped cuddling with me and now gone for so long! Do update if your have more information on whether this is annual behavior?

BTW love being part of this group!

Hi, just seeing this thread, and feeling all the heartache! Yes PLEASE we'd love to see the video. If you can upload to YouTube then post the link that seems to work for a lot of people. Praying you see your Piddu again.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Javarat is totally right on with the information provided.

To prevent inbreeding males have to find their own territory. Senior/older males will drive off the young guys. Mama will also make it clear that they need to find their own place.

Yes, they definitely don't like it when you yell at them with passion. It is almost guaranteed that will result in even stronger non-compliance. Calm redirection will be much more effective, especially if you have a positive relationship with the squirrel.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Anjali (09-04-2020)