Thread: Liquid diarrea started during hydration? What to do now?

Default Liquid diarrea started during hydration? What to do now?

Some tree trimmers delivered the nest to us with two babies inside at 12:30pm, have lower teeth going on 4 wks, eyes not open yet. Immediately did warmth few hours and since I already have a pinky on heating pad so was ready for these two. Waited til 3:30pm and started hydration WITH HOMEMADE mix at 1cc to start. Female is 94g & Male is 89g. Both took to it well besides wanting to chew my miracle nipple. 2 hrs later neither peeing yet so continued to hydrate. Now I have two babies with liquid diarrhea. Do I stop hydrating? And should I give them yogurt or water down formula now? How much is too much for hydrating if you treat every baby as if it is dehydrated. Also can I let them rest for the night and start what in the am? They are strong babies but I have never had one have yellow liquid poo after hydrating. I feel bad for them now :-(
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Liquid diarrea started during hydration? What to do now?

I have never seen this either, diarrhea in a new intake after 12 hours of hydration.

The one thing that pops into my mind is maybe there was too much sugar in the hydration (sugar can cause diarrhea). And artificial sweeteners can cause diarrhea.

Maybe try just a few feedings of plain water.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

LanSeaAir (08-09-2020)

I think the diarrhea will settle down. I’d begin offering formula. You could dilute it slightly, but not much. They don’t look dehydrated to me.

Are you feeding Fox Valley 20/50? That’s what these guys need. Not the homemade goats milk formula. It doesn’t have all the essential nutrients to sustain them.

I personally add a dollop of full fat vanilla yogurt to the formula for all my critters. I also use Fox Valley Ultraboost for some added calories.

The only times I have seen diarrhea pop up like this was due to stress or injury.
    A loud and noisy environment, a large barking dog, multiple people repeatedly handling the babies, a cat wandering by the tub... freaking the baby out.
    I got one in yesterday that had pooped yellow diarrhea all over itself during the car ride to my house. Once it was settled in the quiet incubator the diarrhea stopped.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

LanSeaAir (08-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I have never seen this either, diarrhea in a new intake after 12 hours of hydration.

The one thing that pops into my mind is maybe there was too much sugar in the hydration (sugar can cause diarrhea). And artificial sweeteners can cause diarrhea.

Maybe try just a few feedings of plain water.
    Thank you never thought of the sugar. Very possible since we made a large batch not my norm pinch salt & pinch sugar in 1 cup and this time used another recipe that I saw that showed 1/4tsp salt, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, 2 cups warm water. I will throw that recipe out the door. The babies slept good, diarrea stopped they ate 5cc each of esbilac probiotic formula this morning and I added some water 💧 :-) hopefully this is progress. I hate we couldn't reunite but they took the whole tree down I just pray momma 🙏 got another nest in another tree.

Quote Originally Posted by LanSeaAir View Post
    Thank you never thought of the sugar. Very possible since we made a large batch not my norm pinch salt & pinch sugar in 1 cup and this time used another recipe that I saw that showed 1/4tsp salt, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, 2 cups warm water. I will throw that recipe out the door. The babies slept good, diarrea stopped they ate 5cc each of esbilac probiotic formula this morning and I added some water 💧 :-) hopefully this is progress. I hate we couldn't reunite but they took the whole tree down I just pray momma 🙏 got another nest in another tree.
    Second feeding today Esbilac with probiotics, 5cc each, 4 hours a part. Both have liquid yellow diarrhea still yellow, watery. The boy peed but not the girl. They are on half heat half off. Gave each a little .05cc of vanilla yogurt with this feeding. Anything else I should do or as long as they are eating I shall continue? Was .05cc enough yogurt for each? :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I think the diarrhea will settle down. I’d begin offering formula. You could dilute it slightly, but not much. They don’t look dehydrated to me.

Are you feeding Fox Valley 20/50? That’s what these guys need. Not the homemade goats milk formula. It doesn’t have all the essential nutrients to sustain them.

I personally add a dollop of full fat vanilla yogurt to the formula for all my critters. I also use Fox Valley Ultraboost for some added calories.
    I will get some fox valley however I only had the esbilac with probiotics on hand but they only got their first watered down feeding this morning and now again 4 hrs later 5cc. However they both still have liquid diarrhea, added the yogurt .5cc for each of them. Both wanted the 5cc, male peed but female does not really. Should I hydrate at all in between feedings cause of the diarrhea???or just let the yogurt settle them. They are in incubator have on half off snuggling together.

You could still try to re-unite with mom if she wasn't hurt. They almost always have a backup nest or two nearby.

If the site noise etc. has settled down, place them nearby where they were found in the shade and under cover.

Mom may still be looking for them.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

LanSeaAir (09-01-2020), Mel1959 (08-09-2020)

It takes awhile for babies to transition from mom milk to commercial formula. If at all possible you could try to reunite with mom as Rockypops suggested. That is the BEST scenario. If that doesn’t happen then you are committed to raising them till about 16 weeks old.

Give their intestines a chance to adjust to the different formula from moms milk. Offer hydration BETWEEN feedings and not in place of feedings.

If you’ve added yogurt then don’t make anymore changes till your FV 20/50 arrives. A steady course is what is best with these little guys.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LanSeaAir (09-01-2020)