Thread: Genital Nursing

Klewis Guest

Default Genital Nursing

Hello! I currently have 3 baby squirrels that I am fostering. The first two came in together but were from two separate nests. The little boy was about 4 weeks old and the little girl was about 2.5/3 weeks old. I quickly noticed that she would nurse on little boys genitals and so we started to separate them at night or whenever I wasn't able to keep an eye on them. They are now 6 and 7 weeks old and this is still an ongoing issue. I know little girl is being fed enough and she doesn't seem to mind the anti-lick gel I put on him. I dont want to continue to keep them separated and I also don't have the means to do this as they are both getting bigger. I am worried she could cause permanent damage and I'm just not sure what to do anymore. Please please help!!

Default Re: Genital Nursing

Yes, she can cause permanent damage. Do they have rodent block in their cage to eat? How often are they taking formula? How much each time?

I used a product called Yuck! with mediocre results. I’m not sure what others have used, but hopefully someone will offer a suggestion.

In the meantime, you can try wrapping him around his middle section with that medical wrap that sticks to itself. You know, the kind they wrap on your arm after drawing blood. Place a flat cotton square inside over top of his penis so it doesn’t get chafed. You want to make it snug enough that it doesn’t slide off, but not tight enough that it compromises his belly or movement.

I have also heard of folks cutting some holes for the head and arms in a tube sock and using it like a dress. I’m not sure how well this will stay on, but if it’s a child’s sock made from knit, it might be stretchy enough to stay on.

When I had littles that did this I found a plastic bin that had a plastic divider made for the middle of the bin. This way they could smell each other without being able to get to each other.

Make sure the penis doesn’t develop a scab that impedes his urine. If this happens use a cotton ball soaked in warm water to soften the scab and remove it.

Members who have read this thread: 1