Thread: Pinky is red and clicking

Default Pinky is red and clicking

Hello, I received a 14g baby a bit ago. Notice he is quite red in color compared to the other pinkies. I also hear a tiny click in his breathing. What do you make of the red color and I assume I can give a baby this tiny Baytril for the click? The dose chart I have doesn't even go this low on the weight scale. Dosing? Thank you.

Also, his head seems bruised - probably from a fall. Probably not a factor in his overall coloring, but just fyi.

Thank you.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tgramsey from:

RockyPops (08-07-2020)

Default Re: Pinky is red and clicking

I would bet the red color is from more exposure to the sun. Basically a sunburn. They have very delicate skin. You may want to hydrate him more than normal.

Anytime I see any injury to the head, I immediately dose metacam (meloxicam, loxicom.. same drug). The quicker you can head off any swelling the less chance of later problems.

If you can't calculate for 14 grams... dilute the solution twice as much and dose him like he is 28 grams. A larger amount of liquid is easier to ensure it gets in him and he swallowed it. I avoid dosing amounts less than 4ml even with pinkies because they might spit all of it out without my noticing. And I always immediately follow with electrolytes or formula to make sure it gets washed down.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

tgramsey (08-08-2020)

Default Re: Pinky is red and clicking

Thank you. That's a great technique for pinkies. I gave a tiny drop last night and one today, but will use this next round.
    Sunburn, a-ha! I didn't even think about that. I bet you're right. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    I would bet the red color is from more exposure to the sun. Basically a sunburn. They have very delicate skin. You may want to hydrate him more than normal.

Anytime I see any injury to the head, I immediately dose metacam (meloxicam, loxicom.. same drug). The quicker you can head off any swelling the less chance of later problems.

If you can't calculate for 14 grams... dilute the solution twice as much and dose him like he is 28 grams. A larger amount of liquid is easier to ensure it gets in him and he swallowed it. I avoid dosing amounts less than 4ml even with pinkies because they might spit all of it out without my noticing. And I always immediately follow with electrolytes or formula to make sure it gets washed down.