Thread: Need some help with a chipmunk please

Default Need some help with a chipmunk please

I had a container in our garage for bird food. Unfortunately, the mice chewed through it so I had to discontinue use. When I went to throw it away this morning, I found a chipmunk in it. It wasn't responding too well and runs in circles while falling over. Can this be from dehydration and hunger? My wife and I are using a pipette to give it water letting it lick a little peanut butter. After about 8 hours now, we are not seeing much change. Is there anything else we can do?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Joshuah57 from:

RockyPops (08-06-2020)

Default Re: Need some help with a chipmunk please

Was the container was empty and chipmunk trapped inside and unable to get out?

I would continue the hydration, and keep him warm, in dark and quiet space.

Is there a chance he "fell" into the bin and hit his head? We see circling like that in brain traumas.

Can you post a video?

If you can locate some steroids... prednisone, methylprednisolone or dexamethasone... that may help if this is a brain trauma or spinal injury. The steroids reduce the inflammation, decreasing the pressure on the brain or spine. Better to give it as soon as possible, but a weight of the chipmunk is needed. And I am not even certain this is that kind of trauma or something else entirely.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

RockyPops (08-06-2020)

If we had to guess, we are thinking he/she just couldn't get out of the plastic bin. It was your typical storage bin so I wouldn't think a chipmunk would hurt itself falling about 12 inches or so. If we have a chance tonight, we could post a video. The chipmunk is currently sleeping and we don't want to wake it at the moment. How much should we try and get it to drink? Maybe every 2 hours or so? Maybe more? Through the night or should we let it sleep?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Joshuah57 from:

RockyPops (08-06-2020)

Btw, we are giving the chipmunk an electrolyte solution mixed with water for fluids.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Joshuah57 from:

RockyPops (08-06-2020)

Electrolytes are good to give for the first 24 hours. Then switch him over to plain water if he will drink it and if not, add a teeny bit of honey or sugar, and at some point in the day, give him one feeding of the pedialyte for the next day or so. There is a lot of sodium in pedialyte mixtures and they don't need that much after day 1. If he was stuck in the feed bin he is likely profoundly dehydrated.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

RockyPops (08-06-2020)