Thread: Not thriving & infected wound

Default Not thriving & infected wound

I had 2 babies delivered to me, both had little bumps (possibly ant bites) on them. One of their little hands looked infected so I have been putting antibiotic ointment on them, all of the spots are healing including her hand (although it still looks pretty bad) they are both eating well and going to the bathroom fine, but she (the one with the hurt hand) is not gaining any weight, doesn’t move around very much and doesn’t suck when eating but will drink when I feed her with the dropper. She just isn’t thriving as well as the other and I don’t know what else to do for her. I attached pictures wheee u can see the difference in her hand and her size over the last 4 days
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Not thriving & infected wound

The wound looks nasty.

Get yourself a bottle of Betadyne. You will find it in the wound care section of your drug store. It is 1% povidone iodine (feel free to buy one of the generic store brands if they have one). It works on fungal as well as bacterial issues, unlike the neosporin. If you have ever had surgery and awakened to find the area that was operated on covered in an orange-red residue that looks like dried blood, it isn't - they use betadyne to clean and disinfect the skin before they begin to cut.

Mix 25 drops of the betadyne into 1/4 cup of water. For this wee one, i would just use a q-tip. Dip it in the solution and saturate the bad area and any others she may have and leave it wet to dry on its own. It does not sting. I would do this at least 3 times a day. Don't put anything else on it. It is very effective stuff. You should see improvement in just a day or two.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Rocky1 (08-04-2020)

Unfortunately the baby passed this morning. The sibling that has been doing so well will not eat at all today 😔. He has been eating great until today, he has no wounds.

Don't use a dropper. Listen to her breathing and see if there is a "click" with each breath... this may be Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) which will require treatment with antibiotics.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

There is no clicking, no labored breathing, just very sleepy and not interested in eating. Could it possibly bc the sibling passed? They stayed snuggled together but when I went to them this morning they were on opposite ends and she had passed

I’m not sure that you can attribute the lack of interest in food to having lost a sibling. At this age, and for some time, they do sleep a lot. Make sure the food is warm enough and doesn’t cool down while feeding. Provide a small stuffed animal for the baby to snuggle with.

I’m sorry that you lost one. . What formula are you feeding?

She is doing much better today. I know it sounds a little crazy but I have done it with other ones this little and it’s always seemed to help so I gave it a chance yesterday evening and today and it seems to be helping bc she is eating good again and moving around normal. I put on a loose fitting sports bra under my shirt & put her in it and she snuggles right Up next to my skin 🤦🏼*♀️
    Idk why it always helps when they are this young but It has worked for me every time.
    She is taking the formula like clock work and happy & ready to eat every time