Thread: Need DOSING HELP for AP please!

Default Need DOSING HELP for AP please!

My sweet Phoenix has been doing fine however he has started to show signs of AP. The vet clinic I just took him to said they dont have time to see a "rodent" and blew me off! I was shocked! Currently at home the only antibiotics I have are 500mg Keflex and 300mg Clyndamycin. Are either of these suitable to start treatment? If so, how do I do it? They are both giant pills, do I dissolve them in water and how do I dose? Any and ALL advice is sooo greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
    Ajay

Default Re: Need DOSING HELP for AP please!

Hold tight. I will dose the Keflex but it isn’t the best. It is certainly better than nothing.
    By the way, there is a vet in Largo that is excellent with squirrels. I will send contact info when I get the dosing done. Do you have a weight of the baby? I need that for dosing. How old is the baby?

Is the baby clicking?

The signs of aspiration pneumonia are clicking with every breath, loss of appetite and lethargy.

I hope you refresh your screen soon. I want to dose this for you but I’m waiting for a reply.
    Admins need to Accept your membership so I can send a Private Message. If no one comes along soon I will post the dosing briefly and then delete the post. We don’t dose on the open board.

Oh NO!!! The poster has logged off!

I would love to dose your Keflex but just so you know the excellent vet in Largo is Dr. Nicole Zellner.

https://www.avianandanimal.com/nicho...llner-dvm.html

Thanks for coming back.

I need the weight of the baby OR an age so I can estimate the weight. It is used to calculate the dose.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Ajayindunedin (08-03-2020)

Thank u! Sorry I didnt get any notification that you had responded. Hes approximately 5 weeks old based on images I've compared to. He doesnt have clicking, more like sniffles. And his energy levels have dropped in the last day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajayindunedin View Post
    Thank u! Sorry I didnt get any notification that you had responded. Hes approximately 5 weeks old based on images I've compared to. He doesnt have clicking, more like sniffles. And his energy levels have dropped in the last day or so.
    Does he still have an appetite? You probably won’t get notifications. You have to keep checking for posts.

How long have you had the baby? What are you feeding?

Are the eyes open?

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Does he still have an appetite? You probably won’t get notifications. You have to keep checking for posts.

How long have you had the baby? What are you feeding?

Are the eyes open?

Yes he still has an appetite. His eyes opened last week. Have had him for 2 weeks. Feeding him Fox Valley 20/50 5cc every 4 to 5 hours

If this baby doesn’t have clicking, has sniffles instead and still has an appetite, I don’t think this is aspiration pneumonia. I’m not sure what you mean by energy level dropping as babies pretty much eat and fall back asleep. Of course when the eyes open they do start moving more but they still sleep a lot.

With aspiration pneumonia the first thing to go is the appetite. If the sniffles are associated with green mucous I would treat with doxycycline which is a tetracycline type antibiotic. Out of an abundance of caution I am going to send dosing for the Keflex but I don’t think this is AP at this point. I will estimate the weight of a 6 week old FL squirrel. What type of nipple are you using and the size of the syringe?