Thread: Lost 1 gram and not eating like he did

Default Lost 1 gram and not eating like he did

BACK GROUND STORY:

PIPET was acquired friday a week ago tomarrow. Finder had him on cow milk ,ensure, or both. Not forthcoming with info . Left the squirrel with someone else to give to me.

He was warmed hydrated first and only weighed 40 grams. Guessing when I acquired him he was 4 weeks old judging by tail haveing fur everywhere but underneath, eyes closed, bottom teeth all the way in amd tops came in 2 days ago.

He was eating every 3 hours to start and went to every 4 hours 1 day ago on wednesday.

I had him on royal canin but with advice from TSB he was slowly weaned to goat formula 3 days ago.

As I said he was eating well and 4 to 5 cc every 4 hours. On the goat formula till yesterday qt 8 am is when the not wanting to eat, change in stool, wanting food 5 or 6 hours after a feeding amd that's me offering. He is crying for it.

Heres the worry part.

Yesterday at 8 am is when it all started with him not being eager to eat amd only ate 2.5 cc yesterday at 8 am.

Then yesterday At 10:10 he was hungry at ate 5 cc.

2 pm yesterday . 5cc

6:30 pm yesterday 4 cc

10 pm last night 2.5 cc amd then rushed food at 3 am so I tried again at 4 am refused.

Finally atv5 am today he ate but only 1.5 cc so I tried again since his milk line was gone and only ate 3 cc at 6:30 am.

Refused the 10:30 feeding

I keep extensive charts and included yesterday's and todays in a poc

I also got a pic so ya could guess his age , a poo pic, amd tried a couple belly pics so you could see if ya saw a milk line.

First concern is the blessing of formula he wants amd the lengthening of time between.

SECIND CONCEREN : 6:30 am today he has a massive very soft poo, SOME FORMED SOME LOOSE .. judging by picture is this normal poo?

THIRD CONCERENI : attached a pic of poo that I got at 11 am When I checked on him he had some already out of his rectum which is too early for him to go potty by hisself.

LAST CONCEREN: He has lost a gram since lasthimself. Yesterday he was 63 grams today he is 62 grams.

Should he be slowly put back on the royal canin.

Eyes still not open . Tip and bottom teeth are in.

Sincerely mary

Name:  20200730_121618.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  73.7 KBName:  20200730_121610.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  62.8 KBName:  20200730_115240.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  145.6 KBName:  20200730_115053.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  58.3 KBName:  20200730_114922.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  74.9 KBName:  20200730_114904.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  141.2 KBName:  20200730_113526.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  67.8 KB

Default Re: Lost 1 gram and not eating like he did

Mary, please don’t put this baby back on Royal Canin. Why are you so insistent on using it? No one here uses it or recommends it. I feel it is a good formula but I HAVE NOT TRIED IT YET so I will not recommend it to you or anyone else. If you feel Royal Canin is the way to go you should get your advice from the person that recommended it to you. Ross has experience with it. We do not!

I personally use Fox Valley 20:50 for older babies like Pipet. I have never had a single problem with it. It is easy to purchase from Henry’s Healthy Pets and it is cheap. You will have a time getting Royal Canin but if you insist, go for it. We only recommend it to overseas people that don’t have access to our US products.

Whatever decision you make, you need to do it soon. The goat milk recipe is a temporary formula so you need to be acquiring formula soon. The goat milk recipe is not complete and is not intended to be used until weaning.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (08-04-2020), Nancy in New York (07-30-2020)

HRT 4 squirrels

I have fox valley 20/50 .

I was under the impression that it had to wait till the eyes are open.

Is that true ?

He has only been on the goat formula for 5 days while waiting for the eyes to open.

So do inwean him on the fox valley 20/50 and do I need to purchase the ultra stuff to go in it or is it fine just like it is?

The Cipro could be causing some GI issues.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

He ate at 8AM and he took less than 5%, then 2 hours later he took over 7% (at 63grams I would not fed more than 4.5ml).

If his schedule is every 4 hours, why feed him at 10AM?

JMO but being consistent is extremely important... maybe I say that because that is the only way I can handle a dozen or more babies, but it works... if I get off schedule, so do they.

I'd not be concerned about the 1gram weight loss right now and focus on getting him on a consistent schedule.

I start Fox Valley 20/50 at 3 weeks, I think your baby in the pictures is plenty old enough for Fox Valley 20/50. I would not anything to this (Fox Valley 20/50) formula.
    Last edited by Spanky; 07-30-2020 at 06:49 PM.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (07-30-2020)

Nancy

The last sentence is missing a word. It say I would not anything to this formula.

Does that mean dont add probiotics to fox valley? I think he is 4.5 weeks old but eyes arent open.

Can fox valley be started when the eyes arent open

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy2019 View Post
    Nancy

The last sentence is missing a word. It say I would not anything to this formula.

Does that mean dont add probiotics to fox valley? I think he is 4.5 weeks old but eyes arent open.

Can fox valley be started when the eyes arent open

Mary

Mary, what Spanky meant is that he would feed ONLY Fox Valley 20/50 and NOT add any heavy cream or Ultra Boost
    for now, and maybe forever.
    Many babies are raised on just the formula with out adding anything else.
    We will go with Spanky's suggestion and see how your little one does.
    YES the Fox Valley can be started without the eyes being opened. Many will even start it around 3 weeks of age
    since the Goat Milk formula is nutritionally insufficient for any length of time.

You can give him probiotics 2 hours prior to or 2 hours after him taking his antibiotics.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 07-30-2020 at 05:49 PM.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Spanky (07-30-2020)

Mary, I started to reply to your post hours ago and actually had it typed up but was called away suddenly and couldn’t return. Of course my post timed out but when I returned I copied it and am posting it below. It is almost identical to Spanky’s post so I decided to post it as total agreement.

One thing that babies need is consistency. The baby was started on cow milk and Ensure. Then he was on Royal Canin. Then on goat milk recipe. I would not make a formula change based on one days bowel movement/weight.

Fox Valley 20:50 is for babies 4 weeks and older. The eyes open at 5 weeks so you don’t necessarily have to wait until the eyes open. With today’s little anomaly I wouldn’t rush to a formula change. Continue what you’re doing and see if the poop normalizes and the weight increases tomorrow. By the way, the pic you sent of the poop isn’t really bad at all.... just a little soft but still formed. In a couple days you can start transitioning to the Fox Valley 20:50.

We can talk about adding UltraBoost to the Fox Valley 20:50 later if at all. Not now. Just the FV 20:50.

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (07-30-2020), Snicker Bar (07-30-2020), Spanky (07-30-2020)

He was stated on fox valley 20 /50 last night.

Per package it says heat water up to 100 f
    And mix .

How do you get the gridy out. Even after being in the fridge it's still gridy.

He is app 4.5 weeks old so I followed Nancy and started him on it.

He still is only taking 1 to 1
    5 cc every 4 hours.

Why did his eating amount decrease

Sincerely mary

Mary:

I will be the bad guy here. It seems I often play this role so what the hell....

He is not eating well and losing grams because he was overdosed on antibiotics, 10x overdosed, and probably his stomach is inflamed. Baytril/Cipro are very strong drugs and that was a 10x overdose, four times. It will be very fortunate if this animal survives. Why was he given the ABX in the first place?

Here is something I have learned after 15 years on TSB: the WORST things happen when we trust others to take care of our rehab animals. Story by story, you can trace it always back to someone letting a child, a parent, or a friend who may have Alzheimer's take over very important aspects of the animal's care.

Keep trying to hydrate this little soul and pray to God that you can flush the huge dose out of his system.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I would also switch over to FV 20/50. He is old enough now and we know this formula works. His GI system will take some time to recover so expect some loose poops. What out for dehydration if this occurs a lot.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

And mix .

5 cc every 4 hours.

Sincerely mary
    This shouldn't be gritty, I'm not sure what's happening.
    Mary, take one part dry fox valley and add 2 parts HOT water.
    Mix that up really well with a whisk.
    Mix several times while letting it set for a while on the counter,
    then put it in the refrig and let it "rest" for about 6 hours before feeding.

This will mean that you will have to make the formula up ahead of time.
    Always mix the formula up right before drawing it up in the syringe.
    Draw from the bottom, so that you don't get any air in the syringe.

Are you doing a transition with the GM and Fox Valley, or did you just put him on the Fox Valley?

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

TubeDriver (07-31-2020)

Hey Mary,

I just sent you a short video of my little soon to be released “Sleepy”. He was a VERY slow to drink baby. He may have had some sort of mild head trauma, who knows. Regardless, I posted and others here just encouraged me to be patient and attempt to get him to take the full amount , if only “one drop at a time” as one person said, as long as he WAS willfully swallowing. You DON’T want to cause aspiration... If the milk isn’t going down willingly (see him swallow) then DO NOT force him/flood his lungs . But if he is just being “slow” like this clip shows, just be patient . You will see in the video “Sleepy” almost tried to kind of paddle/shoo the nipple away... But carefully and slowly ( lots of chin wipes) he got the full amount over 20+ min. I would only fill the syringe 1.0 ml at a time from the milk warmer , so the serving would always be very warm (NOT TOO HOT).
    Just hang in there, be consistent, and listen to these experienced rehabbers. They know their stuff

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

island rehabber (07-31-2020), TubeDriver (07-31-2020)

Hi Mary, how is your little one doing? Hope he stabilized and is putting on weight.

And mix .

5 cc every 4 hours.

Sincerely mary

-Grateful Dead