Thread: Antibiotics UK Required

Default Antibiotics UK Required

Hi all

This is non emergency as I don't have a need at present and sincerely hope I won't but my 3 pinkies are nearly 2 weeks old and I've been feeding them for a week now. They're doing well and growing each day now they're hydrated and eating properly.

I'd like to be prepared for all eventualities so I give them all the very best chance of survival. Is there any rehabbers in the UK that is willing to sell and post antibiotics to me in case they're needed? I have Clarithromycin in the house but I haven't seen that brand mentioned anywhere on this board.

Thanks in advance

Jo

Default Re: Antibiotics UK Required

Virtually all of the antibiotics used by vets are actually human meds - some have been given different brand names but they are the same drug. Most of us do our "shopping" in our own medicine cabinets and those of our friends and family. Your first step will be to contact friends, family, social media pals, etc., to find out if anyone has any leftover meds they haven't used that are just sitting there. After you have, come back here and list the names of the pills and their size in milligrams and we can tell you if they are useful or not. Most of the time, one or two pills are all that is needed for a full course of meds for a squirrel. In order to properly dilute and dose the med for you we need the name and size in milligrams of the pill and the weight of your squirrel in grams. You would need a 1cc syringe (without the needle) to dose the mixture.

In the US, we have a loophole in the law which we exploit the heck out of in that many commonly used antibiotics are available online for AQUARIUM use. The UK doesn't have that but they DO sell common human antibiotics through pigeon supply companies for people who keep carrier pigeons. The downside is that you usually have to buy large quantities because pigeon people give meds via the drinking water which means you have to use fairly large amounts. I have a friend in the UK and will try to get the name of the place she orders from though just looking online will likely work for you. You can also buy "pigeon meds" online in the US.

Default Re: Antibiotics UK Required

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Virtually all of the antibiotics used by vets are actually human meds - some have been given different brand names but they are the same drug. Most of us do our "shopping" in our own medicine cabinets and those of our friends and family. Your first step will be to contact friends, family, social media pals, etc., to find out if anyone has any leftover meds they haven't used that are just sitting there. After you have, come back here and list the names of the pills and their size in milligrams and we can tell you if they are useful or not. Most of the time, one or two pills are all that is needed for a full course of meds for a squirrel. In order to properly dilute and dose the med for you we need the name and size in milligrams of the pill and the weight of your squirrel in grams. You would need a 1cc syringe (without the needle) to dose the mixture.

In the US, we have a loophole in the law which we exploit the heck out of in that many commonly used antibiotics are available online for AQUARIUM use. The UK doesn't have that but they DO sell common human antibiotics through pigeon supply companies for people who keep carrier pigeons. The downside is that you usually have to buy large quantities because pigeon people give meds via the drinking water which means you have to use fairly large amounts. I have a friend in the UK and will try to get the name of the place she orders from though just looking online will likely work for you. You can also buy "pigeon meds" online in the US.
    Thank you. I've reached out to family and close friends and haven't had any luck I'm afraid. Do you know if the Clarithromycin is able to be used? It seems the same as Amoxicillin in my research. Screenshot below.

I've tried the pigeon searches in UK but its still saying I need a prescription. If you could get the name of the contact your friend uses that would be amazing.

Name:  Antibiotic 1.PNG
Views: 37
Size:  12.2 KB

Name:  Antibiotic 2.PNG
Views: 48
Size:  29.5 KB