Thread: HELP PLEASE!!! baby squirrel pooping blood

Exclamation HELP PLEASE!!! baby squirrel pooping blood

was about 3 weeks when I got him. Have always fed Esbilac without problems. Have been rehabbing squirrels for 20 + yrs. I use miracle nipple on 3cc syringe. Didnt know about Esbilac until recently because I have never had problems thus never needing help thus never reading about it online. Now I have recently recieved FV 20/50 and am in process of switching over to that slowly. My problem is...baby was doing fine until I started introducing foods. He is now 9 weeks old and I gave him grapes. He started having diarrhea, I stopped the grapes. I started mixing acidophilus and pedialyte with his formula, stolls turned bloody. His appetite has remained good. I offer hydration every 2 hours along with his every 4-5 hours of formula. He takes about 21 mls of formula 2-3 times daily. I would also like to add that he is now drinking out of his water bottle. I am at my witts end..this morning I think I can hear alittle click with his breathing, but when checked just now I dont hear anything. Eyes are bright, very active. He has NEVER choked on his formulas!!!!! Please any suggestions would be so appreciated.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to alana1957 from:

RockyPops (07-29-2020)

Default Re: HELP PLEASE!!! baby squirrel pooping blood

Keep checking back for experienced help.

I don't think you should mix hydration fluid (pedialyte) with formula. I don't know if this could cause problem your having.

Also may help if you could post picture of poop. Close up.

Thanks for helping your baby!

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

alana1957 (07-29-2020), Chirps (07-29-2020), Nancy in New York (07-30-2020)

[QUOTE=RockyPops;1318675]Keep checking back for experienced help.

I don't think you should mix hydration fluid (pedialyte) with formula. I don't know if this could cause problem your having.

Also may help if you could post picture of poop. Close up.

Thanks for helping your baby![/QUOTE ] I only started using the pedialyte yesterday so he wouldnt get dehydrated. The bloody poop started 4 days ago..alittle at first, now is constant diarrhea with blood in it. Another thinkg I want to add is he was chewing on a branch brought in for climbing...he was chewing on it alot and looked like he had wood cunks coming out in his poop the first day, then the blood started. I removed the branch that first day as well...am wondering if that was the problem also,

I only started using the pedialyte yesterday so he wouldnt get dehydrated. The bloody poop started 4 days ago..alittle at first, now is constant diarrhea with blood in it. Another thinkg I want to add is he was chewing on a branch brought in for climbing...he was chewing on it alot and looked like he had wood cunks coming out in his poop the first day, then the blood started. I removed the branch that first day as well...am wondering if that was the problem also,

Hi!

Have you started him on a rodent block yet like Henry's or Mazuri or Harlan Teklad 2018? Do you know what kind of branch it was?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

alana1957 (07-29-2020)

I do not know for sure. it could be an Elm or a Catolpa branch. My husband brought it in for me. I have not started on rodent blocks. None to be found in a 150 mile radius of me. I have ordered from Henrys but has not arrived yet. I am afraid to introduce any thing more until this diarrhea is in check. There is not a vet in this or surrounding area that will agree to see this baby. Grrr...I am afraid I am goiing to loose this baby if I dont do something...SOON.

I understand, wasn't suggesting you give him blocks but wondering if he'd been started on them yet. It sounds like he swallowed some wood/bark and it's irritated his bowels if he passed pieces. If that's it hopefully the irritation will pass. The experts will be able to guide you better. They've probably seen this before. How does he seem now? Is he still energetic?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

alana1957 (07-29-2020)

Pictures would help.. how much blood are we talking about here?

Never mix pedialyte with formula. Most formulas have this on the label. If additional hydration is needed, give that in between feedings.

Block should always be the first solid foods introduced.

Where did your husband get the branches... any chance they came form a property that might be spraying insecticides on the trees or in the yard?

Did you wash the grapes before giving them to him? Just throwing everything out I can think of...

Any chance you have vitamin K on hand?

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Chirps (07-29-2020)

I am so confused...another site says mix formula with pedialyte for 24 hours to make sure they dont loose vital electrolytes. I will stop doing it now. branch was from our property, we dont use any sprays. washed grapes with water. only had eaten maybe 1 small grape before bleeding started. What can I do to get this bleeding under control? He leaks constantly...bloody watery BMs. He has an appetite but he sleeps alot. He wakes when I talk to him. Does yogurt help...I am giving him acidopylius, just a small pinch into each feeding...It hasnt slowed anything down yet. Has anyone heard anything about giving alittle pumpkin into the formulas?? I know it helped with my scouring baby bunnies. Seriously...does anyone have any suggestions? Rodent blocks are NOT available in our area...I have not gotten my order from Henrys yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    I understand, wasn't suggesting you give him blocks but wondering if he'd been started on them yet. It sounds like he swallowed some wood/bark and it's irritated his bowels if he passed pieces. If that's it hopefully the irritation will pass. The experts will be able to guide you better. They've probably seen this before. How does he seem now? Is he still energetic?
    Thank you..how and when do I talk to the "experts"?

alana, do you know your babies weight?
    Something as simple as over feeding could be the root of his diarrhea with bleeding caused by irritable bowl.
    21 mls formula 2-3 x a day seems excessive for a 9 week old.
    On the average an 8-10 week old weighing in the range of 240-400 grams should be taking 12-20 mls 1-2 x per day with feeding solid food as long as the bowels are stable which I understand his are not and also understand you are waiting on your block to arrive.

This is what I suggest to help you get a handle on his diarrhea:
    First get his weight, feed him the Brat formula mixture I will list below twice a day at no more then 6% of his body weight. (for now) Do not add anything else to his formula outside the Brat mixture.
    Continue to hydrate in between formula feedings with the home made hydration I will also list. He does not need to consume a full feeding amount of hydration fluid. Once you have started this give him at least 72 hours to start turning around, it likely will be sooner but you definitely should start seeing improvement after the 72 hours.
    You can begin giving him block as soon as it arrives, remember to keep your block in the refrigerator or freezer as Henry's block does not contain preservatives.

Brat formula mixture;
    3 tablespoons (already) mixed formula (@ 2 parts water to 1 part powdered formula)
    To that you will add - 1/2 tsp baby rice powered cereal and - 1/2 tsp banana baby food.

Home made hydration fluid;
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 Tablespoons sugar
    1 quart water.
    1/2 measure:
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 tablespoon sugar (3-teaspoons)
    16 oz water (1-pint)
    1/4 measure:
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
    8 oz water
    Last edited by stepnstone; 07-30-2020 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Correction added
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

17. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

alana1957 (07-29-2020), Chirps (07-29-2020), island rehabber (07-29-2020), Mel1959 (08-02-2020), TubeDriver (08-14-2020)

Thank you so much Stepnstone!!!! I was feeling alittle frantic not getting any suggestions that may help. We bought the wrong size scale (made for reloading ammo with 40 gram maximum) so we are using our luggage scale, did it 3 times and averaged. With his wiggeling it is not exact..he weighs 300 grams. So 6% of 300 is 18 mls...right? So I want to be completely clear on this so I dont mess it up...Do I ONLY give him the 3tablespoons of formula with the cereal and banana baby food 2 times a day, or is that in addition to the 18mls of formula? I will throw out the pedialyte and mix up the hydration fluid..probably only 8 oz at a time...I dont like it setting to long in the fridge. Question...why does the 1 quart not have any salt added to it? Am I suppose to waite until the 72 hours before I offer rodent block(if they come)? Can I put his hydration fluid in his water bottle so he can drink free range and mix it up daily? Again thank you so much...

Quote Originally Posted by alana1957 View Post
    Thank you so much Stepnstone!!!! I was feeling alittle frantic not getting any suggestions that may help. We bought the wrong size scale (made for reloading ammo with 40 gram maximum) so we are using our luggage scale, did it 3 times and averaged. With his wiggeling it is not exact..he weighs 300 grams. So 6% of 300 is 18 mls...right? So I want to be completely clear on this so I dont mess it up...Do I ONLY give him the 3tablespoons of formula with the cereal and banana baby food 2 times a day, or is that in addition to the 18mls of formula? I will throw out the pedialyte and mix up the hydration fluid..probably only 8 oz at a time...I dont like it setting to long in the fridge. Question...why does the 1 quart not have any salt added to it? Am I suppose to waite until the 72 hours before I offer rodent block(if they come)? Can I put his hydration fluid in his water bottle so he can drink free range and mix it up daily? Again thank you so much...
    That is correct 300 grams @ 6% is 18 mls

Glad you asked... Not in addition to, the Formula/Brat mixture is the formula you will be feeding. 3 tablespoons will make up a little over 40 mls.
    You will only be giving him the 18 mls per feeding. If you want to double the mixture to have more on hand that would be:
    6 tablespoons (already) mixed formula
    1 tsp baby rice powered cereal
    1 tsp banana baby food.

I would allow him to get started on the block as soon as it comes in, it can help solidify his bowels.
    When starting on solid food you want him to be eating his block and eating it well before introducing other foods.
    You do not want to give fruit or veggies to a baby with diarrhea.

My mistake, the quart hydration should have (and will) read:
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 Tablespoons sugar
    1 quart water.

No, do not put the hydration fluid in his water bottle. That is to replace the electrolytes he's losing with the diarrhea.
    He will not need that as he clears up. His "free range" drinking should always be just plain water without any additives.

As I suspected he was being over fed on the formula. Even though they will take more being the little piggies they can be, it is recommended to feed between 5-7% of their body weight because that is the capacity of their stomach. As they get older and their digestive systems mature they can pig out without having this issue. This is one of the reasons having a scale to know their body weight is so important. The other reason for knowing their body weight is all medications are dosed by the body weight of the squirrel if meds were to become necessary at any point due to injury, illness, etc.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 07-30-2020 at 02:21 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

20. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

alana1957 (07-30-2020), Chirps (07-30-2020), Mel1959 (08-02-2020), Nancy in New York (07-30-2020)

Was it a win or a fail?
    Last time on the board 7-30, sure would be nice to see an update on this baby...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

I am so sorry Stepnstone, it was a success!!!! Your AWESOME!!!!! When I cut his formula back, began the Henrys blocks as soon as I got them, and omitted any other foods, it took about 4 days before his poop was formed. Bleeding stopped about 2 days after starting your suggestions. He will be 12 weeks tomorrow and is now on all the foods per the nutrition chart list. He is starting to refuse his milk and doesnt want to be "joey pouched" any more. That makes me sad because thats our snuggle time. I am hoping for release within the next 3 or 4 weeks when I know he is weaned off formula and soley on foods and water. Can you suggest a time frame best for release? We live in Idaho and get snow mid to end of November and I want to give him ample time to get established and hopefully meet a cute lil girl squirrel to winter with.

23. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to alana1957:

Chirps (08-14-2020), Mel1959 (08-14-2020), RamaMama (08-15-2020), TubeDriver (08-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by alana1957 View Post
    I am so sorry Stepnstone, it was a success!!!! Your AWESOME!!!!! When I cut his formula back, began the Henrys blocks as soon as I got them, and omitted any other foods, it took about 4 days before his poop was formed. Bleeding stopped about 2 days after starting your suggestions. He will be 12 weeks tomorrow and is now on all the foods per the nutrition chart list. He is starting to refuse his milk and doesnt want to be "joey pouched" any more. That makes me sad because thats our snuggle time. I am hoping for release within the next 3 or 4 weeks when I know he is weaned off formula and soley on foods and water. Can you suggest a time frame best for release? We live in Idaho and get snow mid to end of November and I want to give him ample time to get established and hopefully meet a cute lil girl squirrel to winter with.
    Good to hear he did well.
    Are you set up to do the process of a soft release? That is where they live in a pre-release cage supported/fed outside before actual release so they can get used to the sights, sounds, and other squirrels in the area and they themselves will begin wilding up. I usually have singletons to release and mine stay in pre-release for four weeks, some members go 2-3 weeks before release. I can't judge or compare your area to mine but whenever you decide to do the final release I would give him at least a month out to establish himself before winter actually sets in. Some will return to their release cage until they get themselves established, some may live in it throughout the winter. It helps to hang a nest box or two in the trees outside if that's doable so they have an alternative living space. In my area winters have been so mild if it were not for lack of natural foods out there I could probably release throughout the season if they were of age. Due to the shortage of their natural foods I personally don't release in October, I just choose to overwinter and release in the spring.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed