Thread: Wild baby bunnies....please help 💔

Default Wild baby bunnies....please help 💔

Hi All, so here’s the story. A friend of my daughter found 5 baby bunnies, in a flooded nest after a severe storm. So of course I gave her the whole lecture on baby bunnies. Well she didn’t listen and actually is treating it like she found a litter of kittens. I am so angry and torn. I just want to keep them and rehab them while finding a “real rehabber” Fortunately she’s has been bringing them to me while she works. They are feeding and excreting really well. I would say they are about 2 weeks. So what I would like to find is a forum such as this one for bunnies. My thoughts were that she would have her eyes opened by bunny rehabbers that would let her know the importance of them NOT BEING PETS. But if she was stubborn (and ignorant) enough to actually KEEP😠 them. At least she would have a forum filled with people to help her. Please advise if any info for me. Thank you☹️💜☮️🐿

Default Re: Wild baby bunnies....please help 💔

Oh NO! This is a nightmare. Even experienced rehabbers can not keep baby bunnies alive. It is the hardest animal to rehab. They do fine for a little while and suddenly they will ALL die. She is getting ready to learn a heartbreaking lesson. Is there any chance they can be returned to where they were found? They must be fed cecotropes (gelatinous poop clusters from an adult rabbit) to have any chance of survival. They will also die from stress of being handled. It is absolutely required that wild baby bunnies get their GI flora from mom. Without it, they will bloat and die with the first bite of solid food.

I, too would be so angry. They are nothing like kittens or even squirrels.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (07-27-2020), Jeltje (07-27-2020)

Oh this is terrible! I am so angry and upset that these bunnies are doomed. I actually have Had them since Friday (the girl left them with me to go away for the weekend). I have been feeding them and weighing them. They seem to be doing great. But after reading many threads, I understand that even though they seem to be thriving-they just take a turn and die😑. At this point there is no chance of them being returned to the nest. It truly was flooded, the entire field was basically a pond. This is a 22 yr old girl who is treating this like she found a litter of kittens. I am trying to convince her how dire of a situation this is. She just “wants” them.
    After reading posts it was recommended to follow cava’s thread regarding the care of bunnies. How exactly do I find that thread?
    I am going to try my hardest to give these babies a fighting chance, and then convince her to Hand them over to a rehabber(if I can find one). Thanks for always helping me!!💜☮️🐿

Let me see if I can find the thread.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-bunnies/page5

I believe this is it. Good luck. I know you’ll do everything possible. Don’t let that chick have them back. She will definitely kill them. Tell her she has an experienced rehabbers ‘nightmare situation’ with the bunnies. Tell her if she wants a bunny she needs to get a domestic bunny NOT wild babies. Totally different.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Chirps (08-01-2020)

Update on bunnies. I did not give them back to the girl. I referred her to a domestic bunny rescue. These babies are NOT pets. They do not care one bit about me. They just want my food. They already get annoyed with me and bite when I am wiping them up, or if nipple isn’t in their mouths fast enough😂. Little brats!
    So the cava thread is GOLD! They are thriving. I am still searching and calling for a qualified rehabber so that they can be released properly, as that time is fast approaching!
    Thanks for the help and info. You always come thru for me, my angel💜☮️🐿

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jeltje:

Chirps (08-01-2020), HRT4SQRLS (08-01-2020)