Thread: Emergent dosing need for another

Default Emergent dosing need for another

Thursday morning at 2:30 sweet pea passed in my bra warm amd loved.
    For those that want to know. 18 hours before her organs started shutting down. I reckon. I am not a rehabber.

Her poos and peas were less and less to soite food and seperate inbetween hydration oer vet to move the milk out tummy.

Her milk line started takeing 5 hours, then , 7 , then didnt moved hardly any.

Her skin looked like a burn patient. Hit glossy and thin and under the belly had a yellowish color. Well I thought I could talk about it but I cant.

She is greatly missed.

I know I did everything I could. I kept extensive chats on b.m., pee, meds, warm soaks for bloat, and humidity showers for pneumonia along with the vets recommendation of saline nebulizers since I had a machine. She only got that twice cause I felt the humidity was better.

For those that say oh I can do that ,nebulizers with saline only. You need to know that nebulizer treatments will drop their temperature amd on pinkie it is very dangerous along with other young ones. . So I warmed up her fleece before she git the treatments and had husband give her a new warm one

she never had a meal brought late. It was every 3 hours unless the milk line wasnt gone. That day it took 7hours but she git hydration of 1 cc by the 4th in Hope's it would dilute the milk in the belly.

So I planned on takeing time. No squirrels amd git a call. You know its baby season when u get a call n 2 weeks back 2 back.

Heres the story:

So a logger had to to back to the same woods to retrieve equipment and stepped over a tree. He heard what he thgoughtvwas a bird. They had not been in the woods for a day.

He looks in the oak tree that was pushed down by the cut lpines and the nose was a squirrel.

Well 2 . One dead n mest amd this one named pipet , french for awe inspiring, the king phillip guy.

He.felt bad and tried to keep him on his own for 5 days. He only weighs 47 gramsl.

No clicking , but if u out his muzzle in your ear u can hear it slightly. You could only hear sweet peas when you put her muzzle in your ear. My neonate stethoscope should be here next week.

I have 2 questions:

He has a weird smell. It's a rank fishy smell. Not a dead smell as his litter mate was deceased. Strong fish. If its milk that the logger used ; he used can milk amd I have smelled a squirrel dirty from can milk before and this isnt it.

Question 1)
    What is safe to wipe a squirrel down in. Ivory?

Question 2.) Sweet peas meds are baytril amd doxy. Both are 5 mg per ml/cc.

Theres not enough for an entire course of just one or the other cause sweet pea had 3 doses or doxy before switching to baytril.

HIS WEIGHT IS 47BGRAMS FOR A WEEKER. I AM GIESSIONG FOUR WEEKS CAUSE EYES AR CLOSED BUT LOWER TEETH ARE EMERGED REALLY GOOD . NOT GHE TOPS

Question 3)
    Would you take this 1 to a vet. I wasnt happy that sweet pea was really cold when I got her back.

Darn corona wont let anyone go in office with pets.

Question four )
    Is it ok to give him hers. I am sure the dose will be different cause she was 20 grams at the start and 17 when he prescribed it.

Question 4)

Can some one do the drug calculation if it's ok to give him one meds till it runs out than next need to avoid the vet.

Both ends are 5 mg per ml amd he weighs 47 grams.

Sincerely mary rizner

Default Re: Emergent dosing need for another

I would start by making sure he is warm and hydrated! Nothing in his little body will work if he is cold and dehydrated.

So focus on slowly warming him up and getting him hydrated and prepare the goats milk baby formula that we have posted.

1) You can wipe him down with some dawn and warm water to clean him up and remove any fleas.

2) I would not start AB unless you have an adequate trial. If you only have a 2-3 days of AB, it is not enough to treat AP. I always like to have AB in hand just in case it is needed but see #3

3) I would not take to vet at this point. See how he does after being warm and hydrated and then getting some good formula in him.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Did all that when I git him yesterday. I warmed him amd picked fleas off by hand.

That smell of fish I have never smelled on a baby before. Yuck but he is so small without any fat on him.

I'll attach a pic to this thread if I can.

He is cute skinny and gonna have to grow n to his arms and legs.

Cant spin pictures around. I have a lot 2 learn about the squirrel board techniques.

I'll listen for clicking again when its quiet.

Goatvformula is full strength tomarrow. He loves it but acts like all startvingvbabies do.

I have to use 1 cc syringes cause he gets too much formula even when u hold the plunger on a 3 cc back.

Well thanknu for your help

Sincerely

MaryName:  20200724_221045.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  155.1 KBName:  20200725_003131.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  119.0 KBName:  20200725_003046.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  109.1 KBName:  20200724_221050.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  147.9 KB

The baby looks perfectly healthy so don’t start pushing meds. Warmth... hydration.... goat milk formula.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (07-26-2020), Nancy in New York (07-26-2020)

breathing? Do. Sounds like clicki.g when u put the muzzle to the ears. I believe he is under weight at 4 weeks old and weighs.47 grams per a chart someone posted.

Well u have my number. Call anytime especially if u have a trick to get his nose.sounds on tape 4 u.

Wrote your email down but u already saw pics on the post. I'll keep trying to get that sound on tape.

Sincerely

Mary

I want you to describe the Baytril solution you have.

Is this a clear solution? Is it possible this is an injectable solution? I need this information because I will not give an injectable Baytril orally without diluting. It is caustic and much too important to guess about.

Are you certain that it is 5 mg/mL?
    I have the dosing figured out but am waiting for your answers to the above questions.

One other point, not all clicking is pneumonia. Babies can make clicking sounds with their mouth especially during or after feeding. Clicking with pneumonia is with every breath both awake and asleep. Because this baby was fed with a 10mL syringe it is very likely to be pneumonia BUT I want clarification on the Baytril you have. Timely answers are of a great urgency!!

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (07-26-2020), island rehabber (07-26-2020), Nancy in New York (07-26-2020), Spanky (07-26-2020), TubeDriver (07-26-2020)

No vet -- unnecessary! You have already seen how some vets don't know enough to keep a baby squirrel warm at all times.

IF there is clicking on the INHALE AND THE EXHALE, every single time he breathes, then you worry. If, on the other hand, you hear a slight tick sound once in awhile, that is a normal baby squirrel noise.

He actually looks fairly healthy. Deeeeeeep breath, slow down, let the baby tell you what he needs.

1cc is the only size syringe you should be using with a baby this small. Don't go to a 3cc until eyes open.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (07-26-2020), Nancy in New York (07-26-2020), Spanky (07-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I want you to describe the Baytril solution you have.

Is this a clear solution? Is it possible this is an injectable solution? I need this information because I will not give an injectable Baytril orally without diluting. It is caustic and much too important to guess about.

Are you certain that it is 5 mg/mL?
    I have the dosing figured out but am waiting for your answers to the above questions.

One other point, not all clicking is pneumonia. Babies can make clicking sounds with their mouth especially during or after feeding. Clicking with pneumonia is with every breath both awake and asleep. Because this baby was fed with a 10mL syringe it is very likely to be pneumonia BUT I want clarification on the Baytril you have. Timely answers are of a great urgency!!
    The baytril is oral solution per bottle. The suspension is 5mg/ml.
    It's clear solution .

Love mary and pipet.

The best way to listen for AP is to hold the baby up to your ear like a phone and listen to the lungs. Listening to the nose isn’t nearly as accurate.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (07-26-2020), island rehabber (07-26-2020)

Dosing has been sent for a 5mg/mL oral Baytril suspension.

15. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (07-26-2020), island rehabber (07-26-2020), Mel1959 (07-26-2020), Nancy in New York (07-26-2020)