Thread: Tail Abnormality ?

Default Tail Abnormality ?

My Roxy (fox squirrel) is 5 years old, gave birth to litter #8 two weeks ago. I rescued Roxy when she was about 6 weeks old, released her at about 8 months of age. She's been a model/loyal squirrel always staying around in my yard, yet on her own Never had any health issues. Since she is nursing now, I only see her once a day (early evening) when she comes up to my porch to snack, light foraging and a little excersize. Last several days I noticed the second half of her tail just dragging, almost lifeless. Before, when I see her running around, and even eating, her tail is usually upright, sometimes hugging her back where the end of her tails touches the top of her head. It is almost she's suffering from some sort of nerve damage. But maybe I'm just being overly concerned. I'm not a vet, so I don't know what controls the nerves for a squirrel to flicker and move their tail. Maybe because she is nursing, it is all business and she doesn't want to exert energy to her tail. Or perhaps she knows me so well, she's very calm. But I never noticed this before with her on her seven previous litters. If anyone has any thoughts on this, or if this represents any specific condition or illness, please let me know.

You folks have been great in the past. When I found Roxy about 5 years ago, I knew nothing on squirrel rehabbing. You guys showed me the way. Roxy and I thank you immensely. She's my pride and joy, and my inspiration in creating "It's A Squirrel's Life" board game (www.moxy-roxy.com)

Thank you so so much,,

Randy14

Default Re: Tail Abnormality ?

When a tail drags it is sometimes broken. Keep an eye on it and if it continues, it's may need to be amputated or she may do it herself at some point.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Default Re: Tail Abnormality ?

Well, I'm happy to report that her tail looks much better now, and not dragging. What I notice now however that the second half of her tail is not as full and fluffy as it used to be. More kind of 'V' shaped at the end. My prognosis is that since she is nursing, she may have been pulling fur from her tail to supplement her nesting material. I've noticed on previous litters Roxy would pull fur from her belly, particularly for the reason to provide better access to her nipples for her babies to nurse. So what I'm thinking now is that maybe Roxy accidently bit into the meat of her tail which caused a temporary injury. What are your comments on my prognosis ? Have you heard of this phenomenon with other mother squirrels ? Many thanks.....in advance.