Thread: Potential hazards of buying a used cage - advice needed

Default Potential hazards of buying a used cage - advice needed

So I finally found a cage I like, used, affordable, better style/utility than the expensive ones I can get new online, more spacious.

But it was a rabbit cage. And there's no rabbit. They're selling the cage, toys, bedding, food, everything except the rabbit. I have not yet asked what happened to the rabbit. I want to look them in the eye and ask.

But are there diseases or illnesses that a rabbit could leave in a cage (wrought iron) that can make a squirrel ill or kill them? Is it possible to 100% no-question/uncertainty sanitize the used cage to make it completely safe for my squirrel?

Is it worth the risk? Is it worth the labor to sanitize (I'm willing to do it, if I'm guaranteed 100% safety)? If not -- I'd rather keep looking or just go with an expensive one that's a tiny bit larger that I hate until I find the perfect cage or get around to building one of my own.

Edit to add: I have no idea what happened to the rabbit. It could've died of old age or been given away to someone who already had rabbits and thus housing, or simply sold to someone unwilling to pay for all the other stuff (they are charging a bit much IMO), but I am assuming worst case scenario here: let's assume the rabbit was ill and died in the cage and has contaminated the cage. Is the cage salvageable or not?

Default Re: Potential hazards of buying a used cage - advice needed

It is all metal? Sure! Keep it!

Is it really dirty? Does it have gunk and residue all over it? If so you want to get rid of that. When faced with caked on gunk, I usually set the cage out in the yard and turn a sprinkler on in the area so it gets wet and stays wet for the half hour I would normally water the area. That will soften the gunk so you can usually just spray it off with a strong hose stream. Scrub with some Dawn if you have trouble. Let most of the water drip off and allow the cage to dry.

Mix up a blend of tap water and regular household bleach. 1 teaspoon bleach to 1 cup of water will kill covid-19. I usually use 2 teaspoons to 1 cup water because bleach begins to degrade once it is opened. Put it in a spray bottle and thoroughly spray the cage down with it. You can hose it all off after 5 minutes or so. Let dry and it is ready.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

muggsy'sgm (07-17-2020)

Be careful that the bar spacing is small enough to be safe. You want 1/2" spacing and horizontal bars. Rabbit cages are often 1" spacing and can cause injuries for squirrels
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

And make sure it is not a panel cage. Look up on TSB the dangers of panel cages. I borrowed a panel cage this year and my little one got his hand stuck in the pinched corners which is their liability with squirrels. I don't know what a rabbit cage is, so I am just adding this comment.

Is this a temporary cage for a releasable squirrel? Rabbit cages usually aren’t very tall. What are the dimensions? A bleach/water solution kills just about everything.....except roundworm. I don’t think rabbits typically have roundworm, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Is this a temporary cage for a releasable squirrel? Rabbit cages usually aren’t very tall. What are the dimensions? A bleach/water solution kills just about everything.....except roundworm. I don’t think rabbits typically have roundworm, though.
    It's a tall cage that someone housed a rabbit in.