Thread: Young squirrel wobbly

Default Young squirrel wobbly

I live in NYC and have a lot of squirrels in my backyard. Today I noticed one of the newer guys was a bit unsteady. He can still run and jump, although a bit wobbly. He was sitting, eating a nut, and just tipped over. He got right back up but it made me a little concerned. Any suggestions to help this little guy?

Default Re: Young squirrel wobbly

My Nuro squirrel does that . I found her unable to walk or move her back legs but with Prednisone she improved so much however she still struggles to sit up at times . I’m not a expert like the awesome people on here but it sounds like it needs help if you can . It’s be easy pry for other wildlife. From my experience they are not releasable once Rescued. I’d wait to hear from someone more experienced. I love my wobbly girl tho .
    ANIMALS. Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it.Mark twain

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jerri from:

Maria C (07-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerri View Post
    My Nuro squirrel does that . I found her unable to walk or move her back legs but with Prednisone she improved so much however she still struggles to sit up at times . I’m not a expert like the awesome people on here but it sounds like it needs help if you can . It’s be easy pry for other wildlife. From my experience they are not releasable once Rescued. I’d wait to hear from someone more experienced. I love my wobbly girl tho .
    Thanks Jerri, maybe I just have too much time on my hands while working from home. But I do feel bad for him though.

If you can share a video that would really be the only way to see what may be going on.... there are a lot of things that can cause what you described. Everything from having eaten something they should not have (like fermented figs or apples), a head trauma, parasites, etc.

They can be released if they recover... in fact, any wild squirrels I have treated for injuries like head bumps, car accidents had little tolerance for cages and being locked in a house... they long to be free in the trees.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Maria C (07-16-2020)

I’m sorry I knew better than to reply to this . It won’t happen again. I gave out information that I had and only with one squirrel.
    ANIMALS. Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it.Mark twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jerri View Post
    I’m sorry I knew better than to reply to this . It won’t happen again. I gave out information that I had and only with one squirrel.
    No need to apologize. The answers were qualified and as you said, were about your experiences. We all have different experiences. I am glad you shared yours.

The releasing of a wild squirrel that was helped to recover from injuries or sickness really depends on the squirrel's recovery.

Neuro squirrels like yours that do not fully recover do need a forever home: Thank you for caring for your buddy!!!

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Chirps (07-16-2020)