Thread: I NEED HELP WITH MY BABYS Squirrels

Default I NEED HELP WITH MY BABYS Squirrels

I can’t get them to poop I’ve done everything there extremely bloated I’ve tried apple juice does anybody have any other ideas please help me

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ajwyeth from:

RockyPops (07-13-2020)

Default Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY BABYS Squirrels

We need more info.

How many do you have?

How old are your babies?

How long have you had them?

What is their diet?

Are they all constipated?

Keep checking back for help.

Thank you for caring for your babies!

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Mialouise (07-17-2020), Snicker Bar (07-20-2020)

If they are bloated, hold off on giving fluids like apple juice. Apple juice helps with constipation, but bloat is a different thing.

Answering RoskyPops question will help

Do you have any simethicone / Gas-X drops? You can purchase infants Gas-X / simethicone drops and this may be needed.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Snicker Bar (07-20-2020)

If u have a pinkie that's 23 grams that seems bloated amd needed apple juice how much would u put in water?

Apple juice isn’t used for bloat, it’s used sometimes for constipation. Infant GasX is used for bloat. Give a drop of it and monitor before feeding again.

If you’re dealing with constipation then add a little apple juice to some water and offer it. Warm water soaks for the lower body with gentle downward massages can also help get things moving. Be sure the baby doesn’t get chilled.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Snicker Bar (07-20-2020)

Hey Ozzy just checking in,

Sounds like you’ve hit the ground full speed with this little one! You mentioned your previous baby had access to a good veterinary hospital that is competent (and willing) to help with a squirrel . Maybe a check up today would be a good idea??

Just curious, how did you find this little one?

I wonder if there’s an experienced rehabber near you, that could kind of help guide you along (in person)??
    Last edited by Snicker Bar; 07-20-2020 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Delete, wrong person

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Mel1959 (07-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajwyeth View Post
    I can’t get them to poop I’ve done everything there extremely bloated I’ve tried apple juice does anybody have any other ideas please help me

Ajwyeth, what formula are you feeding them? If it's Fox Valley 32/40 STOP, until the bloat is managed. Here is a protocol for treating severe bloat in pinkies -- if it is done properly and consistently, it WORK
    S:

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY DUCKMAN, Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator in Vancouver WA:

The trick for me seemed to be getting in as much water, as quickly as possible, once you see and feel the hardness in the belly. Not sugar water or Pedilyte, but plain water. I did this every hour (giving about .2-.3 ml) and ensure you stimulate after each, for 2 reasons. 1. You have to get that water out of the bladder, and it will burst if you don't. 2. You want that water to start working on the crud in the belly. After 8-10 hours, you should start seeing some movement out of the bowel (they will continue to poop, but you will start to see it more watery, which is what you want). At that time, start introducing diluted formula at the ratio of 25% Esbilac*, 75% water. Feed this for the first half day. The second half day, I bumped up the ration to 50/50. I fed this for a day and then went to 75% Esbilac*, 25% water and introduced full food the next day (and the blockage was gone!). So far, I am at 100% success rate. One note though. I check my pinkies after every feeding, so see if their bellies are hard or squishy. I would suggest everyone get in the habit of checking them after every feeding as habit and you can't go wrong in catching them before they bloat up. Once they take on that angry red color on their bellies (this is when their system goes septic), they are gone and can't be saved, so the trick is to catch them before this happens (hence, getting in the habit to see if their tummies are hard or not).

*If you use Esbilac it MUST have an expiration date of 10/2021 or LATER!

Please try, and keep us posted!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from: