Thread: Poll 4 heavy wipping cream

Default Poll 4 heavy wipping cream

I have had a rehabber tell me and a regular person tell my heavy wipping cream is bad for squirrels. Quote unquote it's a unjealthy fat.

I want to do the very best for my baby that's 13 to 15 days old.

She had a rough start on ensure fromnprevious owner amd cant poo on the royal canin.

Even through some rehabbers are using it it seems she cant tolerate it concerning poo.

I may have to transition her to the goat milk recipie since shes only pooed once in 24 hours amd thatvwas with the help of reglan.

So let's do a poll amd ce how many ppl, no matter who you are, believe heavy wippingvcream should be used or not used.

Sincerely
    M.R

Default Half an egg yolk or whole

There are two recipies on the board for the goat milk formula.

One says
    3 tablespoons of goat milk
    2 tablespoons of plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons of heavy wipping cream
    And a half of a egg yolk

I believe this one came.from henrys healthy pets page

The one found on here in a different thread has the difference of instead of 1/2 egg yolk
    It says one egg yold meaning a whole egg yolk

So to recap they are both the same other than 1 say use a half of a egg yolk and the other says use a egg yold meaning whole egg toll.

Which one is better since baby squirrels cant have fox valley 20/50 till their eyes r open or 4 weeks old unless inam wrong about that.

Please let me know if it's a hall egg yolk or whole egg yolk and if fix valley 20/50 has to wait till their eyes are open.

All advice will be welcome no matter what

Sincerely,
    Mary

Default Re: Half an egg yolk or whole

Use the formula on the Henry's site. I believe if you read the recipe with the entire egg yolk in it, you will find that the amount of the other ingredients have doubled as well - in other words, the entire egg yolk recipe is a double recipe.

By the way, the goats milk recipe when completely mixed up can also be frozen. In that case, doubling the recipe makes sense - reserve enough to feed for the day and freeze the rest, either in tiny covered containers or in an ice cube tray (when frozen, remove from tray and store in a freezer bag in the freezer).

Default Re: Poll 4 heavy wipping cream

Yes, absolutely. Baby squirrels grow incredibly fast - they NEED the fat. Just make certain the cream is fresh and that you give it the sniff test before making up each new batch.

As the cream gets older in the fridge, buy a new carton for baby and use the older cream in your coffee. Of course once you try coffee with actual cream in it, you will be spoiled for life!

Fox Valley makes a product called ultra boost to help with weight gain. If you read the ingredients you will see that it is basically dried cream!

Ultra Boost by Fox Valley is an awesome product and I use it throughout my rehab squirrels' time with me, from 1 day old to weaning. ( Heavy whipping cream is problematic for me because where I live it is rarely fresh in the store and I have a lot of waste. )

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Mistie (08-04-2020)

Heavy cream is perfectly fine to use. It was studied at length by the Caseys of ewildagain.org and found to actually contain less lactose that the Fox Valley Ultraboost.
    I use Fox Valley 32/40, Zoologic 33/40 and heavy cream from birth to weaning. It has worked wonders on hundreds of babies.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net