Thread: Head Trauma Squirrel Needs help!

Default Head Trauma Squirrel Needs help!

Hello,

Was hoping you guys would help me out. I came across a squirrel in the middle of my street today who was walking in circles and clearly has some head trauma. I brought him/her in and gave it a comfy bed and some water. She can't really move much, just kind walks in circles and looks like one of her legs might be broken. I feel really bad for the little thing, but when I called the vets they just said bring it in to be euthanized. It's pretty responsive, I can feel its heart rate respond when I handle it.

I was going to give a few weeks to see if it recovers, in the meantime, what/how should I feed it? Is there anything I can do to make the little fella have a better chance?

Let me know,

Thank you.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ifoundasquirrel from:

RockyPops (07-10-2020)

Default Re: Head Trauma Squirrel Needs help!

Quote Originally Posted by Ifoundasquirrel View Post
    Hello,

Was hoping you guys would help me out. I came across a squirrel in the middle of my street today who was walking in circles and clearly has some head trauma. I brought him/her in and gave it a comfy bed and some water. She can't really move much, just kind walks in circles and looks like one of her legs might be broken. I feel really bad for the little thing, but when I called the vets they just said bring it in to be euthanized. It's pretty responsive, I can feel its heart rate respond when I handle it.

I was going to give a few weeks to see if it recovers, in the meantime, what/how should I feed it? Is there anything I can do to make the little fella have a better chance?

Let me know,

Thank you.
    Get a weight on the squirrel if you can and we might be able to give some pain meds. depending on which drugs you have.
    Do you have any Prednisone, tramadol, metacam, or infant ibuprofen?
    Can you post a picture of this little one?
    Hydration is really key so make sure to offer a shallow bowl of water. Make sure it's
    a heavy bowl so that he doesn't tip it over.
    Does this look like an adult squirrel or a juvie?

Where in Virginia do you live? Maybe we have a member that can help you out.
    Make sure to offer a lot of blanket pieces or old tee shirts so this little one can
    bury himself under.
    Try offering some food off of the pyramid, and see how that goes.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Thank you for helping this poor little soul.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 07-11-2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Sp.

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (07-10-2020), Mel1959 (07-11-2020), RockyPops (07-10-2020), stepnstone (07-11-2020)