Thread: Questions reguarding a Chipmunk

Default Questions reguarding a Chipmunk

On June 13th I was out disk gulfing and noticed a Chipmunk on the ground. He was moving very slow and would go in circles with his head tilted only making it a very little distance going straight. I was going to just let nature take its course but I felt bad knowing he had very little chance in his condition. I decided I was going to take him home and after 24 hrs I was going to find a rehabber to take care of him. After having no luck at finding anyone I decided I was going to try and keep him. Ive had previous experience with wild life but never chipmunks, so I did a lot of research and reached out to a lady I knew rehabbed squirrels (she was unable to take him and eventually just didn't message back). She suggested that he has bugs in his ears probably and to get kitten ear mite drops to use. I did and would put them in once a day and his ears did perk up after. But i stopped after about 4 days cause his hair behind one ear started to fall out and i was worried it was irritating him.

I ended up putting him in a hamster cage with pine bedding/grass and a Stick to climb onto a sunning area for him. I fed him a diet of: sunflower seeds, acorns, raisins, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, apple slices, orange slices, crickets, wax worms, and various bugs.
    He never would drink from the water bottle or the dish of water I left from him, so i got a syringe and would drip a sugar water on the cage bottom and on his paws and he would suck it up. Then i moved to normal water dong the same.

Now he is very quick and good at climbing he also will not let us hand feed him or by him any more. He will eat the food I leave still though. He is still doing circles but quicker and other movements are more controlled. I feel like he needs to be released but not sure 100% was looking for someone more experienced opinion on what to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Haleylynn26 from:

RockyPops (07-09-2020)

Default Re: Questions reguarding a Chipmunk

Thanks for helping this baby!

Someone with more knowledge will answer so keep checking back often.

I would say continue to monitor his improvement. Once he gets back to near normal maybe try to release him back near where you found him.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Haleylynn26 (07-10-2020)

For sure thank you I can also send videos of him I just don’t wanna let him go if he isn’t ready but I also don’t want to feel like I’m hurting him by keeping him.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Haleylynn26 from:

RockyPops (07-10-2020)

Head tilt and walking in circles indicate head/neck etc. injury. If he's improving try keeping him as he improves.

There are meds for this type injury but I'm not sure what they are. Hopefully someone will check in and help.

Video would be great. Of his walking and head tilt if possible. As well as just playing and having fun if you have those.

Are you able to upload videos or would I have to email it to someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Haleylynn26 View Post
    Are you able to upload videos or would I have to email it to someone?
    You will have to uipload your video to YouTube or another video service; you can't just post it here the way you can post a photo. If he still circles repeatedly, there is head trauma there. Prednisone is sometimes recommended for such cases....I have not used it myself on any squirrels I have rehabbed, so let me see if I can get another member to weigh in here for you. Thanks for saving him!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

https://youtu.be/IvsaZ7F3M1o
    https://youtu.be/ijV9noPig-o

The video of him on the carpet is from about 3 days after we got him the video in the cage is of today

He would not survive long if released in his current state.

Looks like a head injury to me. I would suggest trying a course of treatment with steroids (prednisone or dexamethasone) and / or gabapentin. It may help, it may not. Time may help and it may not.

But as long as he in like in the videos he'd not survive being released IMO.

If you can get any of those meds, let us know and some one will guide you through the prep and dosing. It would require only a pill or two.

Thanks for caring for him.

Ok I’m willing to do what ever you feel is In the best interest for him I’ll follow up as soon as I have the medication for dosing and best way to admit it

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Haleylynn26 from:

RockyPops (07-11-2020)

Should I have a bigger cage for him, or could that make his spinning worse?

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Haleylynn26 from:

RockyPops (07-11-2020)

I think his cage is fine for now. Medication is most important.

Poor baby!

Would I get the 1mg tablet of the prednisone looks like Walmart has them for pets? Should I get the Gabapentin for pain as well or would prednisone take care of pain?

As far as I know prednisone requires a prescription, but we can work with 1mg tablets. We'd likely need more than a few tabs for the course of therapy as that is a small dosed tablet.

Gabapentin would be helpful if you can get your hands on some (another prescription med).

Ask friends, families and neighbors...

Is that Birch Run MI? There is a place in Lowell MI I have no hesitations about recommending:
    https://www.facebook.com/farmwildlif...b8lgM4PnOPZzlI

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (07-12-2020)

Ohh ok, Would the place in Lowell MI help me get the medicine he needs or would he be able to possibly take him in?

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Haleylynn26 from:

RockyPops (07-12-2020)

Update: I contacted the rehabilitation center and she suggested that i release him. He looked very excited and as soon as he felt the ground he took off on a branch fingers crossed for the best for him thanks everyone for the help