Thread: Mange?

Default Mange?

Hey yall. I've been reading this site here and there over the last three years and it's been very helpful in raising my baby. This time however, I'm not sure what to do with him. He recently started chewing his fur out and while this has happened before from time to time, it's never been this bad. He's a primarily inside squirrel, though we do have a cage outside that we'll sit in. He's an only squirrel. His diet consists of fruits, veggies, nuts, and pinecones I find in the yard. He acts normal for him, other than biting at himself so badly. Is it mange? Should I treat? I have a picture but I'm not sure how to post it

Default Re: Mange?

Trying to figure out posting pics
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by River_Dove View Post
    His diet consists of fruits, veggies, nuts, and pinecones
    In my opinion this is not mange but rather related to pain associated to an improper diet.
    Captive squirrels need a quality rodent block to supply their nutritional requirements.
    Too many nuts will rob their bodies of calcium and then leech it from their bones.
    Depleted calcium is painful, nuts should only be an occasional treat not a staple to their diet.

I would wash that area with a diluted Betadine solution several times a day and get him on a
    proper diet. He may very well need supplemented calcium at this point.

Attached link: Healthy diet for captive/ pet squirrels

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Thank you for your help. I'll try to change up his diet and get the betadine. He can be quite picky in what he eats. I used to give him Henry's squirrel blocks, but he quit eating them a little over a year ago and it became a waste of money to keep buying them. I did recently get him them again for the "picky eaters" which has more pecans in them and he seems to like them. Right now he's eating sweet potatoes, grapes, lettuce, apple, and a block. Along with pecans, peanuts, and/or almonds. I rotate these with snap peas and blueberries and kind of just let him free feed on these things throughout the morning while I'm home.

Try the Hazelnut blocks at Henrys. Mine LOVE THEM. Betadyne - 25 drops betadyne to 1/4 cup water. Use to wipe down the area and leave it to air dry. Do this at lest twice a day. It doesn't sting at all.

If he continues to mess with the area you may want to try Benadryl. You will want the Children's Benadryl liquid, will need a 1cc syringe, and will have to give us his weight so someone can help you dose him.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

River_Dove (07-08-2020), stepnstone (07-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by River_Dove View Post
    Right now he's eating sweet potatoes, grapes, lettuce, apple, and a block.
    Along with pecans, peanuts, and/or almonds.
    Again, adding nuts should never be part of the diet.
    By doing so you are disqualifying any good nutrition he may be receiving.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Nancy in New York (07-08-2020)