Thread: Need moving advice

Default Need moving advice

Hi guys!
    I am moving and will be taking my two year old squirrel, Chester, with me. It’s a 4-ish hour car drive within the state of FL. Any tips on how to safely move a squirrel?
    Thanks so much!

Default Re: Need moving advice

U laid the seats down in my crv and took legs off the cage I got from henerys healthynpets that was just bought for the once a day sun exposure.

They will eat through a per taxi. Found that out going to a vet visit. I bought a prevue 528 cage for vet trips amd hung fleece cubes amd his studies for a trip to n.c that was 4 hours from where I live.

Hope that helps

Sincerely
    Mary R.

That is helpful, thank you.

I’d already considered turning his critter nation cage on its side and hanging his cube from the top side. Then when we get there I can just turn it upright and move the cube.

Would you cover the cage with fabric to help him be less afraid? I know it’s going to be a scary day for him.

Thanks!

Yes, place a sheet or blanket over the cage so he feels more secure. Give him some extra treats and make sure the car does not get too hot/sun does not shine directly on him. Use A/C to keep him cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Cesta View Post

I’d already considered turning his critter nation cage on its side and hanging his cube from the top side. Then when we get there I can just turn it upright and move the cube.

Would you cover the cage with fabric to help him be less afraid? I know it’s going to be a scary day for him.

Thanks!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Cesta View Post

Thanks!
    Why don't you turn it on it's side in the house a few days early so he can get used to it for a bit before it goes in the car? And yes, cover the whole thing - I would give him one tiny place he can peek out if he wants.

Have you heard of Bach's Flower remedies - Rescue Remedy?

This is a flower essence made to relieve stress in people, children and animals. It comes in a spray bottle as well as liquid. Sometimes for animals it's helpful to just spray the mist in the air. But if your squirrel will let you touch him you can apply it to tongue or gums. Just a thought.

It could help him stay more calm.