Thread: ESBILAC for Neonates ?

Default ESBILAC for Neonates ?

Hello, I am reading and hearing varying views on Esbilac since last year..&nbsp; Most of what I read is that lately it is not good for pinkies.&nbsp;<br>Not sure if that is due to calcium sources that bind in the bellies, or calcium that cannot be metabolized.<br><br>I have used the goats milk formula, and varying mixes with FV 20/50.<br>BUT someone has been telling me that Esbilac is just fine mixed normally with no additives for neonates and I am asking if ANYONE here has had good outcomes or experiences with Esbilac for these young ones lately?&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>I have a terrific little patient here, only 15 grams, and don't like to just believe what one person says. so that is why I am asking for more views.<br>Also, if the Esbilac problem is insufficient absorb-able calcium, can a drop of a liquid calcium additive work?<br><br>Thank you in advance.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BigNibbler from:

RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Default Re: ESBILAC for Neonates ?

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

The above link is the six page squirrel care guide.
    I tried to give u each seperate link but everytime I go out of the squirrel board to copy amd paste what I type gets erased.

In that link it will tell you how to feed. Tecnique is the upmost importance, what to feed, etc.

DEFINATELY NO PUPPY ESBILAC. IT KILLS SQUIRRELS SINCE THEY CHANGED THE WAY THEY MAKE IT.

On the squirrel board theres a link you can read. Under fornum , red letters top right, the link is titled esbilac issues. I can also vouch that it killed a rehabber friend of mine , 127 squirrels. Sje sent them for necropsy. It was the esbilac.

Also under fornum there is a link in blue title formula recipie. Really easy. Just no heavy or light whipping cream. It is am unhealthy fat amd they cant digest it.

Make sure if you are transitioning milk from one thing to another that you do it slowly. First its 75 percent what they were on, the 50 perecent then 25. Example 75 percent old formula ,25 present new.

The admins here are awesome. They can help you with anything.

P.m..me if you need amy help you cant find on the links here.

Good luck.

Kiss the squirrel for me

Sincerely,
    Mary rizner

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ozzy2019 from:

RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy2019 View Post

...Also under fornum there is a link in blue title formula recipie. Really easy. Just no heavy or light whipping cream. It is am unhealthy fat amd they cant digest it.

Good luck.

Kiss the squirrel for me

Sincerely,
    Mary rizner
    Mary, can you help me find this link to the formula recipe without whipping cream ?
    Just want to make sure it is not something I missed ?

Thank you

The formula study that was done by the Casey’s showed that not relying on a single formula proved most nutritional. There are rehabbers on here that have used Esbilac with a marked expiration date of 10/21 mixed with Fox Valley Ultraboost that have done well. There are other rehabbers that are using Fox Valley 32/40 mixed with Matrix zoologic that have done well. And there are others that will never use a PetAg (Esbilac) product again. I believe,as others do, that not relying on a single formula hedges the odds in your (and the babies) favor.

What formula do you have? And which combination do you want to use?

Thank you Mel, I have a neonate of 15 grams and want to keep it simple, to reduce the complexity of troubleshooting diet related issues moving forward.
    To have the needed nutrition for his growing body, but also not have to interrupt that nutrition due to gastro issues..

I have Esbilac circa 2018, Could get current Esbilac.

Have FV 2050
    Have full fat yogurt, heavy whipping cream and goats milk.

Have just ramped up the Esbilac to full formula.

Last year, I used FV 2050 with the above additives, and egg yolk.
    But had trouble getting solid stools for a while.

Someone was just telling me that Esbilac 2018 and current batch is fine.
    I don't know. That is why I am asking.

Cassey's idea of blended formulas solves deficiencies but would also make troubleshooting other problems more difficult - no ?
    As when an ingredient is causing bloat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    The formula study that was done by the Casey’s showed that not relying on a single formula proved most nutritional. There are rehabbers on here that have used Esbilac with a marked expiration date of 10/21 mixed with Fox Valley Ultraboost that have done well. There are other rehabbers that are using Fox Valley 32/40 mixed with Matrix zoologic that have done well. And there are others that will never use a PetAg (Esbilac) product again. I believe,as others do, that not relying on a single formula hedges the odds in your (and the babies) favor.

What formula do you have? And which combination do you want to use?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BigNibbler from:

RockyPops (07-06-2020)

I completely understand. I’ve never had a pinkie so I’m probably not a good one to offer advice. Obviously adding any additives makes troubleshooting if there were to be a problem, more complex. A rehabber on here that has raised dozens of babies (pinkies) this year has had wonderful results with a combination of Fox Valley 32/40 and Milk Matrix Zoological 30/40. Your 2018 Esbilac is probably good provided it’s been stored in the freezer. When you mix it it should mix smooth and not have a gritty texture. The grit is the problem. I have always used Fox Valley 20/50 with Ultraboost. But my babies were close to opening their eyes.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Hi BN. For my spring pinkies, I kept it simple and got a fresh can of Esbilac with expiration date of 10/2021. These, and those with dates marked afterward, are the 'good batch'. Between 2018 and 2020 was some very very bad formula. I mixed Ultra-Boost into my Esbilac at 3 to 1 --- three parts Esbilac to one part UB --until their eyes opened. At that point I went to 2/3 Fox Valley 2050 and 1/3 Ultra Boost. Babies were perfect, poops were perfect from day one. (Pun intended)
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Hi BN. For my spring pinkies, I kept it simple and got a fresh can of Esbilac with expiration date of 10/2021. These, and those with dates marked afterward, are the 'good batch'. Between 2018 and 2020 was some very very bad formula. I mixed Ultra-Boost into my Esbilac at 3 to 1 --- three parts Esbilac to one part UB --until their eyes opened. At that point I went to 2/3 Fox Valley 2050 and 1/3 Ultra Boost. Babies were perfect, poops were perfect from day one. (Pun intended)

Thanks Island. Awesome good news - what I was looking to know. Cause from the overhead banner - thought it was all Esbilac.
    Stay well and safe Maura.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to BigNibbler:

island rehabber (07-07-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I completely understand. I’ve never had a pinkie so I’m probably not a good one to offer advice. Obviously adding any additives makes troubleshooting if there were to be a problem, more complex. A rehabber on here that has raised dozens of babies (pinkies) this year has had wonderful results with a combination of Fox Valley 32/40 and Milk Matrix Zoological 30/40. Your 2018 Esbilac is probably good provided it’s been stored in the freezer. When you mix it it should mix smooth and not have a gritty texture. The grit is the problem. I have always used Fox Valley 20/50 with Ultraboost. But my babies were close to opening their eyes.

Thanks, I will check out that Milk Matrix Zoological 30/40 . I never expected to have a pinky right now. But Mom just would not show up to claim him.
    He is a real fighter and getting stronger every hour.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to BigNibbler:

Mel1959 (07-07-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020)