Thread: Baby squirrel dying, no access to veteran please help

Unhappy Baby squirrel dying, no access to veteran please help

Please someone help, we live in a remote area with no veterans here, my baby squirrel is lethargic, keeps hiding face, curls up, refusing to eat. I'm very scared please tell what to do?

Default Re: Baby squirrel dying, no access to veteran please help

We would need more information and details (age, history, weight, color and consistency of feces, diet and feeding schedule, injuries, etc) to make specific suggestions.

First steps would be to keep warm and hydrated. Put it in a small tub in a quiet area with a thin blanket in the bottom and a light blanket over it and a heating pad under one end.
    Keep trying to at least get some warm electrolytes or water into it every 3-4 hours with a syringe. Try a little maple syrup for dextrose.
    Don't give it any medications or drugs until we can figure out what is causing the illness.

Listen to it's breathing. Does it make a clicking noise with each breath?... This would be pneumonia and require antibiotics.
    Has it had diarrhea or discolored feces?.....if yes, for how long and describe the diarrhea.
    Has it been in contact with a cat?
    Is it having trouble breathing, or gasping, or breathing with it's mouth open?
    Does it's stomach appear discolored (blue or red), extended, and feel like a water balloon or a rubber ball?
    Have you been stimulating it to pee and poop after each meal?

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

island rehabber (07-03-2020), Rocky1 (07-03-2020), RockyPops (07-03-2020)

Default Re: Baby squirrel dying, no access to veteran please help

Not as a substitute for advice on this thread, but as an addition, I have the link to a resource that I found very helpful (assuming you have not already read this): https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Please keep us updated! Let us know if you have any specific questions?

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky1 from:

RockyPops (07-03-2020)