Thread: Wild Male baby grey squrrel

Unhappy Wild Male baby grey squrrel

Hi, I'm needing some help..I have a wild grey squirrel, he's is very small yet ..I'm guessing probably 3months old. I feed squirrels peanuts and he was very friendly and out going. I noticed his lil eyes were swelled and he looked fluffed up..also his private was swelled..now it's been around 4 days and he was here again this morning..he can't see and he's looking really bad? What can I do to help him? He is wild so I haven't held him ever. He is weaker today..I'm very worried..please help my lil wild ace. Thank you

Default Re: Wild Male baby grey squrrel

Can you get us a photo so we can see what he looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyann View Post
    Hi, I'm needing some help..I have a wild grey squirrel, he's is very small yet ..I'm guessing probably 3months old. I feed squirrels peanuts and he was very friendly and out going. I noticed his lil eyes were swelled and he looked fluffed up..also his private was swelled..now it's been around 4 days and he was here again this morning..he can't see and he's looking really bad? What can I do to help him? He is wild so I haven't held him ever. He is weaker today..I'm very worried..please help my lil wild ace. Thank you
    In the quote above, I am reading that, "he can't see." Do you mean completely blind, or just not seeing as well? Should this be in the emergency thread?

I am not an expert, but I am wondering if he should be trapped and brought to a wildlife rehabber?

If so, please see below, or better yet, there might be suggestions by others on here. If not, feel free to ignore the following.

If so, we need not just any rehabber, but a squirrel friendly one. (Always call ahead of time to ensure they will not euthanize and that they can care for the animal.) Out of all the PA rehabbers I could find, the following looks the most promising to me. Website says they take mammals, but it does not list a lot of other creatures.

Indiana County
    Ayn Van Dyke

Kritter Kamp
    410 Glenn Drive,
    Marion Center, PA 15759

724-254-9748

Main website, https://pawr.com/

I agree with the previous reply, that a photo would be most helpful if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyann View Post
    Likely orphaned, would still be nursing, and he's dehydrated from the sounds of it.
    He needs intervention!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (07-03-2020), Rocky1 (07-05-2020)

Does he look like he has bumps around his genitals, eyes and/or paws?

When you say he dan't see, do you mean swelling of his lids, or bumps?

I'm wondering if we may be talking about a baby with pox here. Can you try to take a picture when you see him and post it here? It would geve us a better idea of what you are talking about.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

island rehabber (07-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Can you get us a photo so we can see what he looks like?
    He finally came back. I got a picture and I have him now...poor baby..here is the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Dustyann from:

Rocky1 (07-05-2020)

I think that poor baby has Pox.

He will need to be trapped and given time inside to rest and heal. Can you get him to a local rehaber?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Rocky1 (07-05-2020)

Not sure if you have seen the following yet, but I found a more helpful list of wildlife rehabbers in PA, link below. I did a little bit of looking into this and did not find any perfect squirrel rehabber, but I did noticed that Jess Lindberg and Katie Kefalos work at a vet, and that Philly Wildlife has a lot of pictures of squirrels possibly indicating that someone there has a passion for them (but in the devil's advocate might be big enough to be policy driven - ask if they are willing to do their best to save it's life before taking him there if you decide to do that). Just to be clear, I did not exhaust the list, and there may or may not be a better option available. To me, one of the silver linings to this scenario is that you seem to care about this little guy, which is wonderful! If I am correct about that, please tell the wildlife rehabber. Same if you are able to help out, tell the wildlife rehabber. Best of luck! Please keep us posted!

https://www.shaverscreek.org/wp-cont...-by-county.pdf

PS - If you cannot find anyone to help, please also let us know! Or if you have any questions (i.e. how to trap, etc.)...

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky1 from:

TubeDriver (07-06-2020)

Any updates on this little one?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Scooterzmom (07-06-2020)